Cherokee 180

Old October 6th 03, 12:16 AM
Steven Barnes

Default Cherokee 180

Well, I'm jumping into aircraft ownership (co-ownership, 2 other
"partners"). I put the deposit down on a Cherokee 180 yesterday. Hope to
have everything finalized by next weekend. Someone posted where the Piper
owners club's web site was some time back, but I missed it. Can someone post
it again?

Ok. Gotta get back to work. Need more money...

--

PP-ASEL

Old October 6th 03, 02:55 AM
David Megginson

"Steven Barnes" writes:

Well, I'm jumping into aircraft ownership (co-ownership, 2 other
"partners"). I put the deposit down on a Cherokee 180
yesterday. Hope to have everything finalized by next
weekend. Someone posted where the Piper owners club's web site was
some time back, but I missed it. Can someone post it again?

Congrats. You can join one Piper list he

http://www.1st-of-pryor.com/list.asp

All the best,

David
Old October 6th 03, 04:45 AM
Ray Andraka

Cherokee Pilot's association is where you should go. The information on
the chat board and in the tips and hints book is worth many times the
annual subscription price ($34 IIRC). Get more info at
http://www.piperowner.com

David Megginson wrote:

"Steven Barnes" writes:

Well, I'm jumping into aircraft ownership (co-ownership, 2 other
"partners"). I put the deposit down on a Cherokee 180
yesterday. Hope to have everything finalized by next
weekend. Someone posted where the Piper owners club's web site was
some time back, but I missed it. Can someone post it again?

Congrats. You can join one Piper list he

http://www.1st-of-pryor.com/list.asp

All the best,

David

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old October 6th 03, 09:59 AM
Jeff

congrats, the cherokee 180 is a good plane, thats what my first plane was.
there are several piper owner sites/groups

http://www.piperowner.org
http://www.piperowner.com

Old October 6th 03, 09:41 PM
Jay Honeck

Cherokee Pilot's association is where you should go. The information on
the chat board and in the tips and hints book is worth many times the
annual subscription price ($34 IIRC). Get more info at
http://www.piperowner.com

I will second Ray's motion. You'll learn more about your Cherokee with CPA
then through any other group.

And, BTW: did you know there is a rudder trim indicator on your 180? ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 6th 03, 11:59 PM
Russell Kent

Jay Honeck wrote:

And, BTW: did you know there is a rudder trim indicator on your 180? ;-)

Actually, didn't we determine that it is in fact a rudder trim control
indicator (i.e. indicates where the control currently is within its full
throw)? By way of contrast, I believe that the Cessna electric flap position
indicator is actually attached to a cable on the flap, so that the position
indicated reflects the actual flap position, regardless of where one positions
the flap actuator ("she sells sea shells..."). Of course those that know how
the Cessna mechanism works will understand why it has to be that way.

Russell Kent

Old October 7th 03, 12:44 AM
Steven Barnes

One thing that bothers me about the 180 we're getting is that it seems to
take almost full left rudder trim to keep the plane tracking straight with 2
people up front & both tanks full. Is that something that's easily fixed?
Keep trim where it is but reset the trim knob to center to allow for more
travel?

We hope to close on Friday. Now I just gotta get CFI endorsement for the
insurance so I can get the damn thing home!

"Russell Kent" wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote:

And, BTW: did you know there is a rudder trim indicator on your 180?

;-)

Old October 7th 03, 12:47 AM
Dan Luke

"Steven Barnes" wrote:
Well, I'm jumping into aircraft ownership (co-ownership,
2 other "partners"). I put the deposit down on a Cherokee
180 yesterday.

Attaboy, Steven. Good choice, BTW.

Ok. Gotta get back to work. Need more money...

Ooohhh boy, do you ever...
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old October 7th 03, 12:53 AM
Neal

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 17:59:18 -0500, Russell Kent
wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

And, BTW: did you know there is a rudder trim indicator on your 180? ;-)

Actually, didn't we determine that it is in fact a rudder trim control
indicator (i.e. indicates where the control currently is within its full

....and what a useless indicator it really is. I just twisted the knob
so that the ball was centered in straight and level flight with my
feet off the pedals and forgot about it. Haven't had to touch it again
in over 300 hours flying since then.

.... and yes, I have touched the rudder pedals themselves at least a
few times in that 300+ hours ;-)
Old October 7th 03, 01:43 AM
Mike Beede

In article m, Steven Barnes wrote:

One thing that bothers me about the 180 we're getting is that it seems to
take almost full left rudder trim to keep the plane tracking straight with 2
people up front & both tanks full. Is that something that's easily fixed?
Keep trim where it is but reset the trim knob to center to allow for more
travel?

I can't answer that, but in best USENET tradition I have a question to follow
up: what is the position of the actual trimming surface (I don't know if there's
a separate tab or if, like on a Cessna, the rudder is just pulled over a little)?

Regards,

Mike