Anyone installed a landing light flasher?

Old March 11th 09, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

Default Anyone installed a landing light flasher?

"Mike Noel" wrote in message
I added the sender immediately to my block list. There are too many other
things to worry about these days to give such comments serious
consideration.

Good point.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 11th 09, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

I see no good deed goes unpunished around here.

{;-)

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

"Rip" wrote in message
RST Engineering wrote:
We wrote up one in a Kitplanes article several years ago. We also (as I
vaguely remember) offered to sell the parts for our cost ($15 or so),
kitted up a dozen of them, but didn't get any takers. One of them is
yours for a SASE.

Jim

SPAM! Take it to r.a.marketplace, Jim. Trying to unload your useless
castoffs doesn't qualify as as "owner" assistance.

Old March 11th 09, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
vaughn

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
m...
I see no good deed goes unpunished around here.

...or untrolled.

Vaughn (my spell checker is going to hate this post)

Old March 12th 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_19_]

Yes, on a Warrior with wingtip lights...

........fab reconition system...

I think what you are seeing at Spruce is the "Pulsar" by AvTek..

Ours works as advertised, connectiig it in the Archer switch panel is
a bitc--, but doable.

......great factory suport if you should need it from AvTek...

We have the dual mosfet flasher, pulsing the 2 tip lights together ,
alternating with the nose light.

Tower has ID'ed us at 22 miles at night , 5+ miles on a bright day...

Dave

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:20:35 -0700, "Mike Noel"
wrote:

I like the visibility of the flashing landing light...they really get your
attention. The Pulsar unit sold by Spruce for about $320 (single light,
mosfet, variable speed) is the only one I've seen advertised. They say 30
minute install for an under panel mount. They also say you simply need to
put two wires onto the landing light switch (the third wire goes I don't
remember where). I can't imagine doing anything at the switch pane in an
Archer would be easy.

Has anyone installed one?

Old March 12th 09, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Terry

Jim

Don't pay attention to some of these idiots contributing nothing
informative to the newsgroup.

You have contributed much and alot of us appreciate it. I've been
flying since 1980 and enjoy reading the different post. Normally I just
read and stay in the background and not say much but I wanted you to
know that your an asset to the group.

It doesn't take long to figure out the people that have a real
interest in sharing information, learning and contributing to the group
in a positive way. The others - thats why we have "kill files". Just hit
"ignore sender" and their gone forever. )

Terry N6401F

Old March 13th 09, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Watson[_2_]

Yes, on a Maule with wingtip lights. I orginally had the pre Mosfet
flashers with the distinctive clicks when the lights flashed. The Maule had
one switch for two lights, had to change that out and rewire it for two
switches, one for each light. Each light had to be on its own circuit in
order for the pulsar to switch back and forth. Mike at Avtek helped greatly
with that.

Avtek offered previous owners a discount upgrade to the Mosfet, which among
other things; allows the higher wattage bulbs.

The upgrade was easy to put in since Mike speced out quick disconnects the
first time around.

There is another brand called pulselite for double the money (or more). It
routinely burned out the landing light bulbs on a friends C182 and was not
speed selectable.

YMMV.

Regards,

Watson

Old March 14th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I installed AvTek's Pulsar on our Pathfinder a couple of years ago. It
works great in conjunction with our wingtip landing lights, wig-wagging them
so that we look like a 737 on short final.

AvTek's owner (Mike Peter) is fantastic to work with. We managed to hook it
up backwards and blew out the mosfet circuitry. No problem -- mailed it
back to Mike, he repaired and mailed it back -- no charge. He's truly one
of the good guys in GA, and he caters to Cherokee owners. (By the way --
contact him directly through his website -- he'll beat that $320 price by a
long ways.)

Although it sounds like you got the best deal of all from Jim -- it's hard
to beat free!

:-)

Forget that "30 minutes to install" stuff. Mine said TWENTY minutes on the
packaging -- and it took more like half a day. Any time you try to do
ANYTHING behind the panel of a 30+ year old Cherokee, it's a cluster f*ck,
and hooking these *******s up means connecting little-bitty wires to the
back-side of the landing light switch. That, my friend, is no fun at all,
unless you have teeny-tiny fingers and don't mind doing a 30-minute
half-sit-up while working 14 inches from your face with cruddy lighting.

Still, it was well worth the effort. We hear from controllers and other
traffic about how noticeable we are -- and that's what it's for.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 15th 09, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'll post my own experiences when I
get the flasher circuit built and installed.

--
Best Regards,
Mike.

http://flickr.com/photos/mikenoel/

Old March 15th 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Mike ... I've got some work that is going to keep me out of commission for
about a week. I haven't gotten your SASE yet and I'm about to start that
week. Don't think I've forgotten about you.

Jim

Old March 16th 09, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Thanks for letting me know Jim. I've got lots of project to keep me busy
also.

--

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

HID landing light [email protected] Home Built 2 July 10th 08 02:50 AM
HID Landing Light Kyle Boatright Home Built 23 February 18th 07 09:19 AM
Landing Light Flasher Circuit ELIPPSE Home Built 1 January 12th 05 06:05 PM
Landing light CB Hankal Piloting 15 August 30th 04 08:32 PM
Landing light Hankal Aviation Marketplace 0 July 14th 04 01:23 AM