Elephant landing

Old December 12th 09, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

Default Elephant landing

This is one of the smoothest elephant landings
I've ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm8FJ8la2VU

---
Mark
Old December 12th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article
,
Mark wrote:

This is one of the smoothest elephant landings
I've ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm8FJ8la2VU

Certainly the smoothest one I've ever seen. Also the least smooth I've
ever seen.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old December 12th 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Dec 11, 8:46*pm, Mike Ash wrote:
In article
,

*Mark wrote:
This is one of the smoothest elephant landings
I've ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm8FJ8la2VU

Certainly the smoothest one I've ever seen. Also the least smooth I've
ever seen.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

Did you notice the asymmetrical flap deployment?
Old December 12th 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

*Mark wrote:
This is one of the smoothest elephant landings
I've ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm8FJ8la2VU

Certainly the smoothest one I've ever seen. Also the least smooth I've
ever seen.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

Did you notice the asymmetrical flap deployment?

The asymmetry you observed is necessary with elephant flights,
as they use their heated pitot trunks in a cantilevered fashion
increasing parasitic drag, creating inevitable adverse yaw.
Fortunately the elephant didn't choose to go around, and
kick in his rear thruster.

---
Mark
Old December 12th 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

*Mark wrote:
This is one of the smoothest elephant landings
I've ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm8FJ8la2VU

Certainly the smoothest one I've ever seen. Also the least smooth I've
ever seen.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

Did you notice the asymmetrical flap deployment?

The asymmetry you observed is necessary with elephant flights,
as they use their heated pitot trunks in a cantilevered fashion
increasing parasitic drag, creating inevitable adverse yaw.
Fortunately the elephant didn't choose to go around, and
kick in his rear thruster.

Did he activate the used fuel dump before roundout?
Old December 12th 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

*Mark wrote:
This is one of the smoothest elephant landings
I've ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm8FJ8la2VU

Certainly the smoothest one I've ever seen. Also the least smooth I've
ever seen.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

Did you notice the asymmetrical flap deployment?

The asymmetry you observed is necessary with elephant flights,
as they use their heated pitot trunks in a cantilevered fashion
increasing parasitic drag, creating inevitable adverse yaw.
Fortunately the elephant didn't choose to go around, and
kick in his rear thruster.

Did he activate the used fuel dump before roundout?

No, and when he taxied (trotted? jogged?) to the terminal he was not
on the taxiway centerline either. I guess it's not as important when
the wingspan is as short as his was. There's another moral to the
story -- baggage is never left behind, he had his trunk ... oh, never
mind.

This reminds me of the old physics problem -- "assume a spherical
cow. . ."

Old January 8th 10, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lucky

"Jeffrey Bloss" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:41:16 GMT, Mark wrote:

On Dec 12, 9:03 am, a wrote:
On Dec 11, 8:46 pm, Mike Ash wrote:

In article
ba0ba8fe-2141-40d0-93f8-4989bbcd8...

@s20g2000yqd.googlegroups.c
om,

Mark wrote:
This is one of the smoothest elephant landings
I've ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm8FJ8la2VU

Certainly the smoothest one I've ever seen. Also the least
smooth I've ever seen.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Broadcasting from our climate-controlled studios deep inside
the Moon

Did you notice the asymmetrical flap deployment?

The asymmetry you observed is necessary with elephant flights,
as they use their heated pitot trunks in a cantilevered fashion
increasing parasitic drag, creating inevitable adverse yaw.
Fortunately the elephant didn't choose to go around, and
kick in his rear thruster.

Yeah, whatever you say Mark. Meet me in Berlin next week if you want
to see some real engineering.
--

I am trying to figure this out.

A couple weeks ago you said: meet me in Berlin.

A few days ago you said
Run like hell in the general direction of "away"

Away and Berlin are in the same place, then.

But why did you say next week?

You will however want to see this
http://www.likelihoodofsuccess.com/w.../02/f15_15.jpg

You are also going to want to see this
http://images.tradingmarkets.com/ima...y5/w070501.gif

..

That's completely accessible by the way. These are important issues.