A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

Old November 20th 18, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

At 15:56 19 November 2018, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Why would a glider "up set for Seb" be "tricky" and define "tricky"

please.
Thank you.

When Seb did a seminar in the UK I asked him where he set his C of G. His
answer: "as far back as the manufacturer allows, and then a bit more".

His thinking is that, in this configuration the glider, will soak up energy
from gusts better but it does make the glider much harder to fly in tight
thermals. If you are Seb, that doesn't matter.

As technical consultant to GP, I would expect that he wants the glider set
up to optimise this aspect of performance and will make compromises on
handling as a result.

Only my guess. He may be advising them to make compromises in performance
instead....

Jim

Old November 21st 18, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks guys! That was more info on the Jeta in 5 mins than I’ve seen in 6 months!

Btw, I was wondering if Jerzy would contemplate having his gliders build under license in another country? It seems he has a production problem.... Would that be a possible solution?

Marco.
Old June 23rd 20, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Any new info about the Jeta?
I wonder if its quality and handling are like top Germán gliders...
Cheers
Old June 23rd 20, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Dear Augustin (please accept my apology if I got the spelling wrong),

In September of 2017, the wife and I visited the factory in Poland, met the people, saw and touched the glider. In 2018, we were in Ostrow for the WGC where a JETA was to compete; due to changes, it was not ready for prime time competition but was available for show and tell. Next, we saw the first USA JETA at the 2020 SSA Convention in Little Rock, Arkansas. The quality of the finish was wonderful. But in the factory's rush to meet USA shipping deadlines to make the Convention, some mistakes were made; these are being fixed with parts finally on the way, thanks to the re-opening of the factory and its suppliers. The Coronavirus has been a BIG NEGATIVE everywhere.

There have been numerous changes and improvements; all of which I welcome. One of the changes is a lower RPM motor, with a larger propeller and rudder.. Yes, those delays, coupled with Coronavirus shutdowns of glider factories, navigation equipment manufacturers, and all other vendors, are a frustration. My controlled excitement won't help the factory resume interviewing construction employees (who left the country looking for work elsewhere). But, I'm a patient man.

Also, EASA changed certification requirements for aircraft over 600 KG. The Germans and French chose to apply these to aircraft weighing less than 600 KG, too. This added an additional six-month delay to all new gliders.

Our USA Representative wrote an article about his flight in the JETA; it is in the November, 2019 edition of SOARING magazine. He is a highly respected and successful competitor. Me? I'm just a Regional Contest pilot with only one National under my overly cautious belt.

We JETA owners, along with interested observers, are all waiting for word from our first USA JETA owner. As a comparison, a friend of mine waited over five years for his new Ventus, so I understand stuff happens; unfortunately yet predictably it showed up with a list of problems, including an engine failure on its first self-launch. With problems now fixed, the owner is joyfully self-launching and flying long tasks. So when my JETA finally gets here, it will provide me with what I want and need in this stage of my flying life. As far as these delays and improvements are concerned, I'll patiently wait; because I'm a positive thinker with skin in the game. So, I'll just keep teaching and waiting for a contest. Selling my LS6-BWL, with its disk brake conversion and winglets, will have to wait for prices to return to normal.

Raul
Old June 24th 20, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 10:52:43 AM UTC-7, wrote:

In September of 2017, the wife and I visited the factory in Poland, met the people, saw and touched the glider. In 2018, we were in Ostrow for the WGC where a JETA was to compete; due to changes, it was not ready for prime time competition but was available for show and tell. Next, we saw the first USA JETA at the 2020 SSA Convention in Little Rock, Arkansas. The quality of the finish was wonderful. But in the factory's rush to meet USA shipping deadlines to make the Convention, some mistakes were made; these are being fixed with parts finally on the way, thanks to the re-opening of the factory and its suppliers. The Coronavirus has been a BIG NEGATIVE everywhere.

There have been numerous changes and improvements; all of which I welcome.. One of the changes is a lower RPM motor, with a larger propeller and rudder. Yes, those delays, coupled with Coronavirus shutdowns of glider factories, navigation equipment manufacturers, and all other vendors, are a frustration. My controlled excitement won't help the factory resume interviewing construction employees (who left the country looking for work elsewhere). But, I'm a patient man.

Also, EASA changed certification requirements for aircraft over 600 KG. The Germans and French chose to apply these to aircraft weighing less than 600 KG, too. This added an additional six-month delay to all new gliders.

Our USA Representative wrote an article about his flight in the JETA; it is in the November, 2019 edition of SOARING magazine. He is a highly respected and successful competitor. Me? I'm just a Regional Contest pilot with only one National under my overly cautious belt.

We JETA owners, along with interested observers, are all waiting for word from our first USA JETA owner. As a comparison, a friend of mine waited over five years for his new Ventus, so I understand stuff happens; unfortunately yet predictably it showed up with a list of problems, including an engine failure on its first self-launch. With problems now fixed, the owner is joyfully self-launching and flying long tasks. So when my JETA finally gets here, it will provide me with what I want and need in this stage of my flying life. As far as these delays and improvements are concerned, I'll patiently wait; because I'm a positive thinker with skin in the game. So, I'll just keep teaching and waiting for a contest. Selling my LS6-BWL, with its disk brake conversion and winglets, will have to wait for prices to return to normal.

Raul

This sounds like putting lipstick on a pig: have any GP-15's been delivered to the US that have received airworthiness certificates? If so, how many?

Tom
Old June 24th 20, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

What changed?
Old June 24th 20, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

On paper the GP-15 looks very very nice, with all the latest bells and whistles. It checks a lot of boxes off the list.
They seem to be having a major problem overcoming a major important hurtle, delivering completed debugged Ready to Fly ships to customers.
As we know gliders are pretty much hand made, most everyone is a little different than the last or next one coming off the line.
I wish GP all the best, I really hope they can ramp up production and start delivering High quality ships to anxious buyers, that perform as advertised.
Nick
T
Old June 24th 20, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 8:09:59 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:

In September of 2017, the wife and I visited the factory in Poland, met the people, saw and touched the glider. In 2018, we were in Ostrow for the WGC where a JETA was to compete; due to changes, it was not ready for prime time competition but was available for show and tell. Next, we saw the first USA JETA at the 2020 SSA Convention in Little Rock, Arkansas. The quality of the finish was wonderful. But in the factory's rush to meet USA shipping deadlines to make the Convention, some mistakes were made; these are being fixed with parts finally on the way, thanks to the re-opening of the factory and its suppliers. The Coronavirus has been a BIG NEGATIVE everywhere..

There have been numerous changes and improvements; all of which I welcome. One of the changes is a lower RPM motor, with a larger propeller and rudder. Yes, those delays, coupled with Coronavirus shutdowns of glider factories, navigation equipment manufacturers, and all other vendors, are a frustration. My controlled excitement won't help the factory resume interviewing construction employees (who left the country looking for work elsewhere). But, I'm a patient man.

Raul

This sounds like putting lipstick on a pig: have any GP-15's been delivered to the US that have received airworthiness certificates? If so, how many?

Tom

Tom before you die I hope you learn that words do hurt and you are so quick to issue damning judgement. Sounds like a new project developing to me. Is you analysis of a V2C vs a V2CX the same, just lip stick. How about the Arcus and new Arcus. GP as I understand it is a new company putting out a new product. That is not lipstick that is business, which takes risk and money and much effort. I applaud what they are doing. However, for now I am happy with the gliders that have an operational history.
Old June 25th 20, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 10:13:13 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 8:09:59 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:

There have been numerous changes and improvements; all of which I welcome. One of the changes is a lower RPM motor, with a larger propeller and rudder. Yes, those delays, coupled with Coronavirus shutdowns of glider factories, navigation equipment manufacturers, and all other vendors, are a frustration. My controlled excitement won't help the factory resume interviewing construction employees (who left the country looking for work elsewhere). But, I'm a patient man.

Also, EASA changed certification requirements for aircraft over 600 KG. The Germans and French chose to apply these to aircraft weighing less than 600 KG, too. This added an additional six-month delay to all new gliders..

Raul

Tom

Tom before you die I hope you learn that words do hurt and you are so quick to issue damning judgement. Sounds like a new project developing to me. Is you analysis of a V2C vs a V2CX the same, just lip stick. How about the Arcus and new Arcus. GP as I understand it is a new company putting out a new product. That is not lipstick that is business, which takes risk and money and much effort. I applaud what they are doing. However, for now I am happy with the gliders that have an operational history.

Jonathan, every date the company said they blew. They are simply not trust worthy. I would not give them a dime. They keep tinkering and taking money from people, do you think they have money to actually build the gliders, I doubt it. So it seems like a ponzi scheme to me. I talked to them years ago and was very impressed but that changed as the years went by.
Old June 25th 20, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

Andrzei, or anyone who actually knows;
How many years has it been since GP cashed the first prepurchase check they received?
Just curious
Nick
T