Starting soaring. Where is the best place to learn and fly within 100mi from NYC?

Old March 11th 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
VladC

Default Starting soaring. Where is the best place to learn and fly within 100mi from NYC?

Hi there,
I'd like get into the soaring. My plan is to get certified over the
summer.
Where is the best flying conditions and club not too far from NYC (100
mi).

I appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks,
Vlad
Old March 11th 10, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider[_2_]

Where is the best flying conditions and club not too far from NYC (100
mi).

Thanks,
Vlad

Wurtzboro, NY is closest.
Old March 12th 10, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 11, 6:24*pm, glider wrote:
Where is the best flying conditions and club not too far from NYC (100
mi).
Thanks,
Vlad

Wurtzboro, NY is closest.

Incorrect- 2 other operations are closer.
Suggest you go to SSA.org and click the where to fly site. There are 2
in SE New York, a couple in western NJ
annd also opportunities on Long Island.
UH
Old March 12th 10, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Mar 11, 4:10*pm, VladC wrote:
Hi there,
I'd like get into the soaring. My plan is to get certified over the
summer.
Where is the best flying conditions and club not too far from NYC (100
mi).

I appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks,
Vlad

Vlad,
You may want to consider Valley Soaring at Randall Airport in
Middletown, NY. I learned there back in 1974 and it was a very nice
location, with very nice soaring conditions, nice folks, and it is
within striking distance of NYC!
Thx - Renny (now in NM!)
Old March 12th 10, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Mar 11, 6:10*pm, VladC wrote:
Hi there,
I'd like get into the soaring. My plan is to get certified over the
summer.
Where is the best flying conditions and club not too far from NYC (100
mi).

I appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks,
Vlad

Hi Vlad,

As stated elsewhere, several options in NY, NJ, and PA. It does
depend a bit on what you are after. If you are able to fly on
weekdays and want to compress the schedule as much as possible, then
the commercial operations at either Blairstown or Van Sant may be the
ticket. If you are looking for a club experience first and foremost,
then Valley soaring might be just the ticket. Can't comment on LISA,
other than to note that the soaring conditions are usually a bit
better at the inland locations.

Erik Mann
SSA Governor NJ (so maybe a bit biased toward NJ :-)

Old March 13th 10, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 11, 5:27*pm, Papa3 wrote:
On Mar 11, 6:10*pm, VladC wrote:

[...]

With 100 miles of NYC there is JFK or LGA or EWR...
Take a flight to RNO... drive south an hour and arrive at Minden NV.

You wont be disappointed.

Al
Old March 14th 10, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred[_5_]

I cannot help but agree with Al above: come to Minden. We have the
world's best soaring, great instructors, modern equipment, and
wonderful scenery. Spend two weeks here and you'll very likely
complete your FAA private certificate -- AND have a great time! And
of course if you're coming here, I'd recommend SoaringNV. Laurie
Harden and I started the business two years ago to offer the best
instruction in the best gliders in the best soaring conditions, and
now several hundred happy pilots would agree that we've suceeded. I
know, we're not close to NYC, but this way you'll be able to immerse
yourself in the sport without thinking about the long drive home after
each day's soaring and you'll get a complete break for your everyday
existence. Ask a few pilots who've flown with us, and you'll
understand why you'll be better taking Al's advice.

Fred LaSor
SoaringNV
Minden, NV
775 790-4314
Old March 14th 10, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 14:07:42 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

With 100 miles of NYC there is JFK or LGA or EWR...
Take a flight to RNO... drive south an hour and arrive at Minden NV.

I heard they've been giving soaring lessons recently from LGA...

Old March 14th 10, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

wrote:
With 100 miles of NYC there is JFK or LGA or EWR...
Take a flight to RNO... drive south an hour and arrive at Minden NV.

I heard they've been giving soaring lessons recently from LGA...

Nah, it's just gliding lessons and you are dunked at the end of each
flight.
Old March 15th 10, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

wrote:

With 100 miles of NYC there is JFK or LGA or EWR...
Take a flight to RNO... drive south an hour and arrive at Minden NV.

I heard they've been giving soaring lessons recently from LGA...

Apparently that was inadvertent. ;-)