U.S. Clubs

Old March 17th 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

Default U.S. Clubs

Forgive my ignorance in this question, but I'm curious...
In the U.S., do the clubs provide instruction for free, or paid? I
know the commercial operators are paid, but I don't know about the
clubs. Probably depends on the club, I would guess.
I'm in Canada, where the clubs all teach for free; I'm not sure we
even have commercial operations (the clubs all sell introductory rides
with a day membership).
I'll eventually get some flying done in the States... just have to
convince my wife to let me bring the mistress along... or travel
without her and the kids
Old March 17th 10, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Mar 17, 5:34*pm, jsbrake wrote:
Forgive my ignorance in this question, but I'm curious...
In the U.S., do the clubs provide instruction for free, or paid? *I
know the commercial operators are paid, but I don't know about the
clubs. *Probably depends on the club, I would guess.
I'm in Canada, where the clubs all teach for free; I'm not sure we
even have commercial operations (the clubs all sell introductory rides
with a day membership).
I'll eventually get some flying done in the States... just have to
convince my wife to let me bring the mistress along... or travel
without her and the kids

All of the true clubs that I've been associated with (as a member,
instructor, or guest) have provided free instruction in the sense that
there isn't a fee for the Instructor. There may be a nominal usage
fee for the glider and of course the tow fee. There are a couple of
quasi-clubs that may operate a little differently.

P3
Old March 18th 10, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

On Mar 17, 6:57*pm, Papa3 wrote:
On Mar 17, 5:34*pm, jsbrake wrote:

Forgive my ignorance in this question, but I'm curious...
In the U.S., do the clubs provide instruction for free, or paid? *I
know the commercial operators are paid, but I don't know about the
clubs. *Probably depends on the club, I would guess.
I'm in Canada, where the clubs all teach for free; I'm not sure we
even have commercial operations (the clubs all sell introductory rides
with a day membership).
I'll eventually get some flying done in the States... just have to
convince my wife to let me bring the mistress along... or travel
without her and the kids

Our club provides instruction at no additional charge to members.
Club members have to belong to SSA, too.

Introductory flights are available and we don't require the guests to
purchase a "membership"; just pay the price for the intro flight.
These flights are made by instructor pilots, but no flight instruction
is provided.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Old March 18th 10, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

Introductory flights are available and we don't require the guests to
purchase a "membership"; just pay the price for the intro flight.
These flights are made by instructor pilots, but no flight instruction
is provided.

My understanding is that we include a day membership for liability
purposes -- we're now flying a club member rather than providing a
flight for hire. Most of our intro pilots are also instructors, so we
can provide some instruction if the passenger so desires. Canada only
has one class of glider licence, not "Private" vs "Commercial".
And yes, when I said we instruct for free, I meant for the services of
the instructor... the student pays for aircraft rental and tow fees at
regular club rates.
Old March 18th 10, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Mar 17, 3:34*pm, jsbrake wrote:
Forgive my ignorance in this question, but I'm curious...
In the U.S., do the clubs provide instruction for free, or paid? *I
know the commercial operators are paid, but I don't know about the
clubs. *Probably depends on the club, I would guess.
I'm in Canada, where the clubs all teach for free; I'm not sure we
even have commercial operations (the clubs all sell introductory rides
with a day membership).
I'll eventually get some flying done in the States... just have to
convince my wife to let me bring the mistress along... or travel
without her and the kids

There are about 140 clubs and chapters around the US. There may be up
to twenty private clubs also, mostly as ownership syndicates and
possibly with a tow plane here and there. Not all are SSA
affiliated.

It varies whether instructors are paid. A few clubs have paid staff,
others provide instruction using independent contractors (who set
their own rates). Instruction is free in many clubs. A very few
clubs provide no instruction, leaving that and checkouts to commercial
operators. Some cadet and senior member instruction is done within
the Civil Air Patrol. Commercial operators provide instruction,
rentals, and rides (bread and butter for most). There are some ride
only operations in tourist hot spots, which may be seasonal. Some
clubs pack up for 3-4 winter months.

Frank Whiteley
Old March 18th 10, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 17, 2:34*pm, jsbrake wrote:
Forgive my ignorance in this question, but I'm curious...
In the U.S., do the clubs provide instruction for free, or paid? *

As Frank said it varies from club to club. At Tucson Soaring Club
there is a small hourly instruction fee but members have the use of
club gliders at no charge (except for monthly dues that all members
pay).

Andy

Old March 19th 10, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

Thank you all for the information.