GlideNavigator II and SoaringWeb Turnpoints?

Old March 21st 10, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ryan Spicer

Default GlideNavigator II and SoaringWeb Turnpoints?

Hi all,
I'm trying to help a club member upload updated waypoint (.dat)
files onto his Compaq Aero 1520 for use with GlideNavigator II v3.0.
I'm an IT guy, but pretty new to the world of soaring software. We've
downloaded the .dat file (http://soaringweb.org/TP/ASA/nm_asa10.dat).
It opens correctly in SeeYou, and when we copy it to PocketPC/Storage
Card/My Documents, it appears in the list of WP files from within
GNII, but when we select "add," to add it to the list of active
waypoint files, and remove the old .dat, no waypoints are available
within GNII. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the
problem? What other information should I be looking at to diagnose
this?

Cheers,
Ryan Spicer
Tucson Soaring Club
Old March 21st 10, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen[_3_]

Try loading the turnpoint file into memory rather than the storage
card. This will eliminate the storage card from the problem analysis.

Old March 21st 10, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

I have had problems like this before, and it turned out to be the DAT
file format. It's easily edited using Notepad.

Once, I found that GNII was choking on a line that exceeded 72 or 80
characters (can't remember which). Trim any long lines down and see if
that helps.

Another time, I found that there was a snafu with the line numbers.
The initial line numbers proceeded smoothly from 1 up to 199, then
started over again instead of progressing as they should have into the
200s. I simply hand edited the initial numbers and things worked
fine.

Also, there was a limit of 256 waypoints in Cambridge GPS devices - if
you have more waypoints than say, 240, you might try editing some out
to see if that helps.

You might also try removing any SUA files into GNII, just to keep
things simple.

Good luck!

-John

Old March 21st 10, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

I think you are downloading the wrong file for GNII.

1) There are lots of files that end in .dat or .txt on the World Wide
Turnpoint Exchange web site (http://soaringweb.org/TP) but only one
kind that works with GNII. I believe that all the GNII files
are .txt, at least mine are. Once you navigate to the correct country
(and then state and then location within the state), click on "Files
formatted for downloading and importing into your programs". Then
look for "Soaring Innovations Glide Nav II". Click on the icon of
four hands holding a file (I think that is what the icon is) to
download the file. Don't click on the Eyeglass icon (which opens the
file) and then doing a save-as ~ I find that the resulting file
doesn't always work.

2) Make sure that the .txt file is stored in the same directory as the
GNII executable. I keep all the files right at the root of "My
Documents" (on my memory card). If GNII can see the files in the "SUA
and WA Files" menu, then you have them in the right place. Again,
GNII will find and seem like it is reading .txt and .dat, but
only .txt files specifically formatted for GNII will work correctly.

3) There is a Yahoo groups for GNII users. You and/or your friend
should join. It isn't very active until you ask a question.

4) Paul Remde is *THE* go-to guy for GNII questions. His web site has
some how-to documents which are helpful. http://cumulus-soaring.com/gn.htm

Some comments on the above comments.

1) I always keep all of my files on the memory (CF) card on my HP
2215. Never had a problem. The advantage is that I never have to
worry about keeping the PDA charged up between flights (so I don't
loose the built in memory contents. And I can edit all the contents
on the memory card from within my PC (via a card reader). I find that
much easier.

2) Only older Cambridge GPS devices have the 256 waypoint issue I
believe. The Cambridge 302 and 302A has a much larger memory. Then
again I don't download waypoints into my Cambridge 302, I keep them in
my PDA only.

I hope that this helps. Let us know. As always, "my $0.02".

- John DeRosa
http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Old March 21st 10, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

OK, I am not too proud to admit that I was wrong. Ouch. GNII will
work with .dat files. I went to the Exchange and got a hold of the
appropriate Arizona file, which was a .dat, loaded it into my PDA and
it works just fine.

In my case the correct file was named "asa_2010.dat" which is
different than the file you mention above. So I still stand behind
that you probably have the wrong file for GNII.

Could this be an issue with the old Compaq 1500 series and the
Operating System it uses?

- John
Old March 22nd 10, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 21, 10:12*am, Ryan Spicer wrote:
Hi all,
* I'm trying to help a club member upload updated waypoint (.dat)
files onto his Compaq Aero 1520 for use with GlideNavigator II v3.0.
I'm an IT guy, but pretty new to the world of soaring software. We've
downloaded the .dat file (http://soaringweb.org/TP/ASA/nm_asa10.dat).
It opens correctly in SeeYou, and when we copy it to PocketPC/Storage
Card/My Documents, it appears in the list of WP files from within
GNII, but when we select "add," to add it to the list of active
waypoint files, and remove the old .dat, no waypoints are available
within GNII. *Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the
problem? What other information should I be looking at to diagnose
this?

I have the ASA 2010 tp file loaded on my Aero 1530 and it runs just
fine with with 2.3 beta 18 which, to the best of my recollection, is
the same as 3 except for a different password scheme.

There are 3 versions on TP Exchange, name only, number before name,
and number after name. The file should be loaded in the CF directory
- storage card/SUAsandWPs/ or it can be loaded in the Aero 15xx
memory at mydocuments/sSUAsandWPs/

If the CF is present and the directory SUAsandWPs is there GN gets the
files from there, not from the local directory.

I'm currently using asa_2010.dat because that is my preferred format.
I have not tested nm_asa_10.dat with GN but have no reason to think
there is anything wrong with file.

Try putting the file in the correct directory and see if it works. If
not I'll be at the field on Friday if you haven't solved it by then.
I'll be at the front end of the rope.

Andy (GY)
Old March 22nd 10, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

GNII will work fine with waypoint files with up to 2000 waypoints.

The files on John Leibacher's Worldwide Turnpoint Exchange
(www.soaringweb.org) are all created by John and will work in GN II. But
you must be sure to get the correct file type. You can use either
"Cambridge" files or "Glide Navigator II" files. You cannot use "Glide
Navigator I" or "Glide Navigator" files. They are for the early 1990s
version of Glide Navigator for the HP95 (if I'm remembering correctly)
computer. Due to the potential for confusion on that issue, I always
recommend going to the "Cambridge" files.

The file extension is ".dat" by default, but GN II will still open the files
if you change the file extension to ".txt". I usually leave the file
extension at .dat, but some pilots change it to .txt so the file can be
edited using PocketWord on the PDA. PocketWord doesn't know what a .dat
file is.

It doesn't matter whether you put the waypoint files into the memory card's
"My Documents" directory, or the PDA's "My Documents" directory. However,
if you have different files in both places then GN II may "latch on" to the
files in one of the locations and not notice the files in the other
location. I normally keep all my files in the memory card's My Documents
directory. It is also OK to put ALL the files in both locations - that way
you don't lose files if the PDA loses its memory due to lack of charging, or
of the memory card becomes corrupt or lost.

If you can't get it working you can give me a call. I charge for technical
support but I'm confident we can figure it out quickly. We can use web
conferencing to allow me to view your computer screen.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old March 22nd 10, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 21, 8:44*pm, Andy wrote:
[...]

Ryan,

I downloaded the tp file using the link you published in the original
post, copied the file to my cf card in the SUAsand Wps subdirectory,
opened GNII, deleted the waypoint file I normally use, and added the
nm_asa10 file. GN loaded the new file and displayed the waypoints
correctly.

Note that when GN loads a new file it may assume a current position
that is at the "center" of the loaded waypoints. Depending on your
map scale you may not see any waypoints displayed. On restart, GN
will assume a position equal to the "home" airport coordinates if
there is one. For this file "home" is "El Tiro".

I also tried adding before delete, adding and not deleting, and it all
works as intended.

If you can't make it work, and can't wait til Friday, give me a call
in the evening. I'm in the TuSC directory. I'll just change you a
beer

Andy (GY)