OK. How fat can I be?

Old September 25th 03, 01:44 AM
Eggs

Default OK. How fat can I be?

The soaring bug is in me. But unfortunately so is that chicken-fried steak, mashed potatoes, fried okra, turnip greens and apple pie I had for dinner.

I'm a fairly big guy; six foot, one inch tall, broad shoulders. Let's put it this way... I can't drive a Miata. Assuming I crack the scales at the beginning of next years' season at say, 240, am I going to be able to find a plane that can handle both me and an instructor? Am I going to be able to find a ship of my own later? That I can afford (read: cheap)?

Be honest. I can sniff take it.

Curt

Old September 25th 03, 01:58 AM
John Shelton

You can be so fat that you have to be lifted out of your room with a
Sikorsky Skycrane just to go to the crapper. You will just need a C-47 for a
glider. If you want to fit into any of the other ones, you might consider
burning a little more than you consume for a while. A half hour walk a day
until the vernal equinox should just about do it.

Or, as an alternative, I would suggest, as an appetite suppressant, taking
up smoking profusely.

Old September 25th 03, 02:42 AM
E. A. Grens

The seat pan limits on most European gliders are 242 lb. At 6' 4" and 235
lb there are many I can fly comfortably including the G-103, ASK-21, various
DGs, my old Phoebus A-1, not to mention the SGS 2-33, SAGS 1-26, and Ka-8b.
I'm sure many others. Don't try a Libelle, Ka-6, or Ka-7.

Ed Grens

Old September 25th 03, 07:06 AM
Gary Kemp

I have flown for 35 years, weigh 245 (plus clothing and chute). 6'3"
and wear a 48 long, (lifted weights for 45 years). I have owned 1-34,
1-35, Pegasus and now a Nimbus 3. Of course I have to sit on the
cockpit floor, with no seat pan. There are a few of us who fly
gliders that are also plus sizes.

Gary

Old September 25th 03, 08:05 AM
goneill

I am similar size to you and I find the Grob 102 /103 twin 2 seater fit me easily ,for more advanced gliders
S H gliders seem best ,ventus b /c ,nimbus 2 and 3 never seen a 4 model ,Lak 12 will not need any lead
bolted into the tail to balance the glider's c of g.You have a lot of choices and if you buy into one of your
own you can reweigh the glider and have the cg range adjusted with lead.
Another trick is to have a parachute that is in a pack in the locker space behind your head and wear a
harness with static lines to the pack.

Old September 25th 03, 10:32 AM
Steve H

Try buying a Slingsby Capstan. Two seats, side-by-side and an huge max
cockpit weight. (Slingsby only specified a Max cockpit weight and
omitted to stipulate a max seat weight. The cockpit is large enough to
accommodate a small cocktail cabinet for those (rare) occasions when you
land out. It handles very well with absolutely no vices. The only
problem is that the glide angle reflects its wood-wire-and-fabric
construction. It is still my favourite two seater.
Steve

The soaring bug is in me. But unfortunately so is that chicken-fried
steak, mashed potatoes, fried okra, turnip greens and apple pie I had
for dinner.

I'm a fairly big guy; six foot, one inch tall, broad shoulders. Let's
put it this way... I can't drive a Miata. Assuming I crack the scales at

the beginning of next years' season at say, 240, am I going to be able

to find a plane that can handle both me and an instructor? Am I going to

be able to find a ship of my own later? That I can afford (read: cheap)?

Be honest. I can take it.

Curt

Old September 25th 03, 01:21 PM
George William Peter Reinhart

Eggs,
Don't give it up just because you're not one of those underfed, shrimpy
european body types whose max weight by regulation can never be over 242
lbs.
I can assure you that the Nimbus 2 I recently sold had more than adequate
space for a Texas sized pilot and a C. G. range to match. The LS-4 comes to
mind as a wonderful glider to fly and a spacious cockpit as well, if you
get one with a tail battery box, you'll probably be able to tailor the C.G
to suit you. There are others that come to mind as well so look around some
and you'll find a wide choice available. My understanding of the 242 max
cockpit weight for most recent Euro gliders is that it is the minimum
weight for certification of the cockpit restraints under JAR 22 and has
little to do with the actual strength of the airframe. I remember that the
LS-!F had around 276 as the max cockpit weight. It'll be a tight fit
though.
Cheers!, Pete

Eggs wrote in article
. ..
What's the L/D on a C-47? Does it come in a kit? What do you use for a

tug?

Maybe I should phrase my question thus: Even a slender rough and tough me
isn't going to weigh less than 220. Seriously. So should I just give up

this
soaring dream and go back to fuel-sucking noisemakers?

Perhaps my question was too tongue-in-cheek, but it was a serious
nonetheless.

Thanks,

Curt

nk.net...

Old September 25th 03, 04:55 PM
Bob Kuykendall

"Eggs" wrote in message news:fUqcb.4705

Am I going to be able to find a ship of my
own later? That I can afford (read: cheap)?

I'm working on it. Please be patient.

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24
Old September 25th 03, 05:27 PM
303pilot

You make it into any JAR certified single place glider with 2 lbs to spare!
Your problem will be finding an instructor light enough to fly with you. Most two place trainers I've seen in the US have a useful load in the low 400 lb range. Talk to the local clubs & commercial operations to see if their ships & instructors create combinations that will work with your weight.