Airspace

Old October 25th 03, 10:04 PM
Mike Borgelt

Default Airspace

Australia is moving to the US airspace management model. This, on the
face of it, looks to be a good thing. Could any current US pilots who
are up on this please let us know if you have a transponder veil
within 40nm of a Class D tower in Class E airspace?

Thanks.

Mike Borgelt
Old October 25th 03, 10:27 PM
Marc Ramsey

Mike Borgelt wrote:
Australia is moving to the US airspace management model.
This, on the face of it, looks to be a good thing. Could
any current US pilots who are up on this please let us know
if you have a transponder veil within 40nm of a Class D
tower in Class E airspace?

Not that I know of. 30 nm mode C veils are used around Class B
airports. There are apparently a few designated Class C and D airports
that have a 10 nm (or larger) mode C veil, but I've never encountered
one. In any case, gliders and other aircraft without engine driven
electrical systems are not required to have Mode C reporting capability
within veils (but outside of B, C airspace), or from 10000 feet to the
floor of Class A airspace.

Marc

Old October 26th 03, 03:20 AM
BTIZ

the glider and other exemptions for Mode C within the 30nm veil around
ClassB airspace is only for "Below the ceiling of ClassB or 10,000MSL which
ever is LOWER", Las Vegas is one of the very few ClassB areas that stops at
9,000MSL. There is no exemption for between 9,000-10,000MSL in the 30nm veil
at Las Vegas.

BT

Old October 26th 03, 09:43 PM
Mike Borgelt

Mike Borgelt wrote:
Australia is moving to the US airspace management model.
This, on the face of it, looks to be a good thing. Could
any current US pilots who are up on this please let us know
if you have a transponder veil within 40nm of a Class D
tower in Class E airspace?

Not that I know of. 30 nm mode C veils are used around Class B
airports. There are apparently a few designated Class C and D airports
that have a 10 nm (or larger) mode C veil, but I've never encountered
one. In any case, gliders and other aircraft without engine driven
electrical systems are not required to have Mode C reporting capability
within veils (but outside of B, C airspace), or from 10000 feet to the
floor of Class A airspace.

Marc

Thanks guys. I'll ask the guy in charge of the airspace reform to
comment.

While we are at it does anyone fly near a US Army helicopter training
operation?
Is the airspace usd for training a Restricted area while active. Or
just an MOA?
Can you fly through it VFR without a clearance?

Thanks

Mike Borgelt