what airplane engine this could be?

Old June 29th 08, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mario

Default what airplane engine this could be?

Hello,

We found this engine under the Central South Italian adriatic sea
coast. We would
like to know to what airplane it may belong. People from the area say
B-17 flying fortress
but I dont think so because from the image I see it is a 7 cylinder
engine and the
B-17 used the 9 cylinder, I think it belongs to a smaller airplane.
What engine you think it is? To what world war II plane it may belong?
I could dive again in that site, what kind of further info you may
need to try
to identify the engine and possible airplane type?

Look at the pics he http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/l...view=slideshow

Mario
Old June 29th 08, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Jun 29, 8:12*pm, Mario wrote:
Hello,

We found this engine under the Central South Italian adriatic sea
coast. We would
like to know to what airplane it may belong. People from the area say
B-17 flying fortress
but I dont think so because from the image I see it is a 7 cylinder
engine and the
B-17 used the 9 cylinder, I think it belongs to a smaller airplane.
What engine you think it is? To what world war II plane it may belong?
I could dive again in that site, what kind of further info you may
need to try
to identify the engine and possible airplane type?

Look at the pics hehttp://s288.photobucket.com/albums/l...i-motore/?albu...

Mario

A bit of googling suggests 7 cylinder radials were quite common. Here
are a few suggestions you might want to look further into
1. The Cessna T50 was a US transport aircraft during WW2
2. The British Airspeed Oxford and Avron Anson both used 7 cylinder
radials

Good luck with your search. Did you not find any other parts of the
aircraft?
Terry
PPL Downunder

Old June 29th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert Moore

Mario wrote
I see it is a 7 cylinder engine

I don't think so....to me, it looks like a twin row 14 cylinder
Pratt and Whitney 1830 Twin Wasp widely used on the C-47 during WW11.
Look at the number of spark plug wires at the front of the engine.

The R1830 Twin Wasp
The Pratt and Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp engine was one of the most efficient
and reliable engines of the 1930s. It was introduced in 1932 with either a
6.1 or 6.5 compression ratio and 775 or 825 horsepower respectively, at
2,400 rpm. To reach its designed power the R-1830 needed the highest octane
gasoline available. Using improved fuel the R-1830 reached 1,000 hp and
later 1,200 hp. It has 14 cylinders in two banks of seven. The R-1830 was
used on B-24s, C-47s and the Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat, until it was phased out
by Grumman. Pratt and Whitney built 13,464 R-1830-90C engines for the C-47
aircraft. It was also used in a variety of British aircraft including the
Royal Air Force Catalinas, Short Sunderland Vs, Maryland bombers, and
Bristol Beauforts

Check the picture at this site...
http://www.maltaaviationmuseum.com/engines.asp

Bob Moore
Old June 29th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Robert Moore wrote in
. 15.205:

Mario wrote
[...]

Yeah, it's an 1830 I think. the cylinder head fins sure look right for one.
Looks like the magnesium geabox casing is long gone. You'll probably find
the gears lying in the bottom underneath the engine.

Bertie