Flew my first SID

Old April 1st 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Flew my first SID

After 21 years of being instrument rated, I flew my first SID this week.
Departing KPBI on Thursday afternoon, bound for the first fix, LBV
(LaBelle VOR).
Normally, I file NO SIDS OR STARS in the remarks section. This time I
forgot and they gave it to me.
Old April 1st 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article john smith wrote:

Normally, I file NO SIDS OR STARS in the remarks section.

Why? What advantage do you think you're getting by doing this?
Old April 2nd 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Why? What advantage do you think you're getting by doing this?

If you don't accept a SID or STAR, they have to give you your clearance
orally over the freq. That means you don't have to find it in the book
and read it out of the book. You can just fly it (perhaps with some
notes).

Old April 2nd 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Roy Smith" wrote in message ...
In article john smith wrote:

Normally, I file NO SIDS OR STARS in the remarks section.

Why? What advantage do you think you're getting by doing this?

Fair question, Roy.
What's not to like about having in your hands a published graphical
diagram and printed text to supplement the verbal clearance?

Old April 2nd 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Normally, I file NO SIDS OR STARS in the remarks section. This time I
forgot and they gave it to me.

Don't they give it to you anyway, just in long form?

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
Old April 2nd 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In a previous article, "Doug" said:
Why? What advantage do you think you're getting by doing this?

If you don't accept a SID or STAR, they have to give you your clearance
orally over the freq. That means you don't have to find it in the book
and read it out of the book. You can just fly it (perhaps with some
notes).

Which means you don't have a diagram of it, and you have do a lot more
writing, with the added possibility of error. Sorry, I'm not seeing the
advantage here.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than up there
Old April 2nd 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

If you file No SIDS/No STARS you'll get the same route, they
will just read you a full route clearance. Saying No
SIDS/No STARS just means you don't have the chart or text
description.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old April 2nd 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Normally, I file NO SIDS OR STARS in the remarks section.

Why? What advantage do you think you're getting by doing this?

Fair question, Roy.
What's not to like about having in your hands a published graphical
diagram and printed text to supplement the verbal clearance?

There is no graphic for the procedure. There are five text instructions,
depending on what type of hardware you are flying and what runway you
are assigned. I read the wrong instruction based on the departure runway
I was given, missed the hardware note and was corrected on my switch to
departure.
By adding the NO SIDS OR STARS remark, I am usually given a more simple,
expedited departure and only fly radar vectors and altitude assignments.
(that should have been 26 years, not 21)
Old April 2nd 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

john smith wrote:
After 21 years of being instrument rated, I flew my first SID this week.
Departing KPBI on Thursday afternoon, bound for the first fix, LBV
(LaBelle VOR).
Normally, I file NO SIDS OR STARS in the remarks section. This time I
forgot and they gave it to me.

I generally file them if available and if I can remember the DUAT
procedure to enter them. I kind of like being able to have some idea
what to expect on departure and arrival.

Matt
Old April 2nd 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Most SIDs are so simple they don't seem worth writing down. Many of
them are just heading/altitude that gets reassigned as soon as the gear
enters the wells anyway.

-Robert