A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Battery connectors

Old May 19th 16, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Battery connectors

I am looking for a simple battery wire that has a 2 pin quick connector on one end a flat f type on the other. Any sources out there?

Dennis
Old May 19th 16, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Probably need to be a bit more specific than that. I know in our area, Anderson PowerPoles are becoming the defacto standard.
Old May 19th 16, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

Most battery connectors are custom made, i.e. home made. If you are trying to match what is in you plane you will need to figure out what you have currently. Power Poles are becoming standard, Cinch round connectors are also still common. Once you figure that out you can order some and find a friend that can fab one up for you. Most of us also put the same connectors on the charger so you plug directly into the charger as well.
Old May 19th 16, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

Forgot to mention that some gliders use the old automotive type connectors. Theae are similar to those used to connect to trailers, just only two wires. These are very poor connectors and are prone to failure. If you have these it is a good idea to change out the plugs in the glider as well to a better connection.
Old May 19th 16, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Power Poles are cheap and effective (look on Amazon.com). I've been
using them for 4 years now and am completely satisfied. I don't have
the crimp tool but, with care, you can solder the wires to the terminals
before inserting into the connectors.

On 5/19/2016 9:35 AM, Tim Taylor wrote:
Most battery connectors are custom made, i.e. home made. If you are trying to match what is in you plane you will need to figure out what you have currently. Power Poles are becoming standard, Cinch round connectors are also still common. Once you figure that out you can order some and find a friend that can fab one up for you. Most of us also put the same connectors on the charger so you plug directly into the charger as well.

--
Dan, 5J

Old May 19th 16, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie
external usenet poster

I've wired up probably 50 or 100 batteries for clubs and private owners...with Anderson Power Poles. We have the crimp tool which works fine...but I often prefer to solder...both methods are recommended by Anderson...

I also use the power poles on everything else I own...motorcycle charger...GPS in car and motorcycle...RC model planes...etc...

So in a club...every battery will fit every plane....

Cookie

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 12:04:04 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Power Poles are cheap and effective (look on Amazon.com).Â* I've
been using them for 4 years now and am completely satisfied.Â* I
don't have the crimp tool but, with care, you can solder the wires
to the terminals before inserting into the connectors.

--

Dan, 5J

Old May 19th 16, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 2:44:02 PM UTC-4, Cookie wrote:
I've wired up probably 50 or 100 batteries for clubs and private owners....with Anderson Power Poles. We have the crimp tool which works fine...but I often prefer to solder...both methods are recommended by Anderson...

I also use the power poles on everything else I own...motorcycle charger....GPS in car and motorcycle...RC model planes...etc...

So in a club...every battery will fit every plane....

Cookie

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 12:04:04 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Power Poles are cheap and effective (look on Amazon.com).Â* I've
been using them for 4 years now and am completely satisfied.Â* I
don't have the crimp tool but, with care, you can solder the wires
to the terminals before inserting into the connectors.

--

Dan, 5J

Thanks for the info. I went to a local hardware and was shocked to fine that they had the wire and connectors that I use. I didn't want to get into rewiring my plane but, if and when I do I will match the clubs system.

Dennis
Old May 19th 16, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 8:48:57 AM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:
Forgot to mention that some gliders use the old automotive type connectors. Theae are similar to those used to connect to trailers, just only two wires. These are very poor connectors and are prone to failure. If you have these it is a good idea to change out the plugs in the glider as well to a better connection.

FYI... My 12V batteries all used the cheap automotive trailer 2 wire rubber connectors. At the end of last season I started getting an intermittent... and sure enough... the wire in one of the rubber connector had broken.

I'm changing all my batteries over to Anderson PowerPoles using the special crimping tool for an easy setup.

Walt Rogers WX
Old May 19th 16, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

I use and recommend the info in the presentation "Soaring_Electrical_Wiring_Made_Easy_2015.07.0 3" which you can find (among other great resources) at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations/ .

Thanks to John DeRosa for providing this to techno-bozos like me, whose panel now is much safer!

Dan
2D

Thanks for the info. I went to a local hardware and was shocked to fine that they had the wire and connectors that I use. I didn't want to get into rewiring my plane but, if and when I do I will match the clubs system.

Dennis

Old May 20th 16, 07:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

Another proponent of Anderson Power Pole connectors. But if in a self launch, you may need a bit more current capability than that. I purchased a set of these, rated at 120 amps, for the starter battery but haven't installed them:

http://www.amazon.com/Driver-Battery...rch_detailpage