ultralight accident on Lake Winnipesaukee

Old June 16th 05, 11:19 AM
Cub Driver

Default ultralight accident on Lake Winnipesaukee

The poster who claimed that a "seaplane" turned over on Lake
Winnipesaukee, NH, recently as a result of a boater's wake was a bit
wide of the mark.

The aircraft was actually an ultralight, whose pilot blamed the mishap
on the wind.

Bob Hirschfield, 54, of 3 Quimby Rd., Meredith, said the incident
was not a crash. "I knew I was going over so I turned the engine off,"
he said.

The story is online at
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...0103/106060009

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old June 16th 05, 11:43 AM
Judah

Make no mistake...

The poster who made the claim is also a troll, so I'm sure facts are
irrelevant if they do not support his purpose.

I bet he's a reporter.

Cub Driver wrote in
:

The poster who claimed that a "seaplane" turned over on Lake
Winnipesaukee, NH, recently as a result of a boater's wake was a bit
wide of the mark.

The aircraft was actually an ultralight, whose pilot blamed the mishap
on the wind.

Bob Hirschfield, 54, of 3 Quimby Rd., Meredith, said the incident
was not a crash. "I knew I was going over so I turned the engine off,"
he said.

The story is online at
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?

AID=/20050606/CITIZEN0103/

Old June 16th 05, 11:49 AM
Bob Noel

In article ,
Judah wrote:

I bet he's a reporter.

don't insult the troll.

(please trim)

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old June 16th 05, 08:00 PM
Skylune

I suppose i should be insulted by being called a troll. Is that a real
"pilot" term? Funny that when i zoom around with my pilot friend in his
C-172 and he gets disoriented over the LI sound, I have to show him how to
operate the GPS. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to spend the $3500 bucks
to finish my flight training. Then will you be nice?

But thanx for the correction. It was an ultralight that into the drink,
and the pilot was rescued by boaters, as the picture shows.

I was attempting to learn about rules governing seaplane landings on the
lake, which is quite busy, but many of you people are hostile to anyone
that hasn't received their private pilot license. Sad.

dork.

Old June 16th 05, 09:02 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Skylune" wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
but many of you people are hostile to anyone
that hasn't received their private pilot license. Sad.

No we're pretty much hostile to everyone.

Old June 17th 05, 05:42 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Skylune" writes:

I suppose i should be insulted by being called a troll. Is that a real
"pilot" term?

It's a real Usenet term:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll.
Old June 17th 05, 10:31 AM
Cub Driver

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:00:48 -0400, "Skylune"
wrote:

But thanx for the correction. It was an ultralight that into the drink,
and the pilot was rescued by boaters, as the picture shows.

And the thang wasn't flipped by a boat's wake, as you claimed.

Nor was he rescued; rather, he was surrounded by the boaters.

(By the way, those were inflatable pontoons! There were such thangs
built for the Cub many years ago, but they overinflated even at the

Old June 18th 05, 10:52 AM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 05:31:03 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote:

(By the way, those were inflatable pontoons! There were such thangs
built for the Cub many years ago, but they overinflated even at the

My posting finger has a mind of its own. I meant to say that somebody
marketed inflatable floats for the Piper Cub, but the concept never
caught on because even a Cub can get up to an altitude at which the
floats began to hyper-inflate.

Old June 19th 05, 03:07 AM
George Patterson

Cub Driver wrote:

I meant to say that somebody
marketed inflatable floats for the Piper Cub, but the concept never
caught on because even a Cub can get up to an altitude at which the
floats began to hyper-inflate.

I wonder if it would be possible to make inflatable floats that could be
deflated once in the air to reduce drag. Maybe a little electric air pump to
inflate them again before landing?

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 19th 05, 03:12 PM
Stephen McNaught

Might be bad in case of electrical failure. What about having two "opposite"
bleeder like valves, that when there is a pressure difference, one opens up
to equalize the outside, and inside of the floats?