EAA Beer Bash

Old May 19th 05, 03:08 AM
John Galban

Jay Honeck wrote:
For you - maybe, but for someone who loves the building aspect,

life is
too short for *flying* because it means they spend less time

*building*.

That's just...wrong.

;-)

It's a personality thing. My pal Doug has been working every night
and weekend on the RV-10 and it's ready to fly after about a year and a
half. He previously built an RV-6 (slow build, no pre-punch) in about
13 months. He tells me that he's doing the building so that he can have
a new, cool, affordable airplane to fly, but I'm convinced he's hooked
on the building process. In between airplanes, he can usually be found
tearing out walls and reconfiguring his house. The good part about
this is that my sweat equity in his airplanes gives me 1st shot at
buying the plane if (I mean when) he decides to sell. He has sworn
that he'll be keeping the RV-10 forever, but he said that about the
RV-6 too. Someday it will be mine! Thank heaven for compulsive
builders!

For those interested, here's a site with the chronology of the build :

http://www.rvator.com

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 19th 05, 04:15 AM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

So, 500 years ago, these guys would've been out pillaging nearby villages.

500 years ago "those guys" hibernated by the fire and drank constantly during
the rare periods when they were awake. Summer was invasion time.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 19th 05, 05:47 AM
Grumman-581

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:2tIie.5050$z_.3694@attbi_s71...
There have been quite a number of books written about why the world's
dominant, most productive and innovative civilizations (at least in the

last
several hundred years) have all been in colder climates.

I always figured it's because they had to stay busy to keep warm.

I don't believe that is quite correct... It's not just colder climates, but
it is climate change... It seems that people who live in places where the
climate doesn't change throughout the year don't have the environmental
incentive to come up with new solutions to problems... In tropical
civilizations, they have nothing to compare it to, so satisfied with doing
the same thing that they've always done... In frozen civilations, there's a
lot of that too... They've found out what works to keep them from freezing
themselves to death and they just keep doing it year after year... At one
extreme, you have a group of people who have become complacent in their
living conditions since it doesn't take as much effort to survive and at the
other extreme, you have a group of people who spend a significant amount of
their effort just surviving the environment and don't have time for other
things...

Of course, I don't have any hard proof of this -- it's just a gut feeling, I
guess...

I suspect that air-conditioning wasn't invented by someone who lives in a
tropical climate, it was probably invented by someone who lived in a place
that was too warm in the summer and he longed for the cooler days of
winter...

Old May 19th 05, 03:09 PM
Jay Honeck

I suspect that air-conditioning wasn't invented by someone who lives in a
tropical climate, it was probably invented by someone who lived in a place
that was too warm in the summer and he longed for the cooler days of
winter...

Excellent, thought-provoking post.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 19th 05, 08:30 PM
Margy

Montblack wrote:
("Margy" wrote)

Poor folks, I think building would be fun, but only if I had a working
plane and time to build and fly. I guess retirement can't come soon
enough! I tell you having the Navion down for 3 years almost killed me.

Look where you ended up working ...a little something to help ease the
pain :-)

Montblack

Hee, Hee, Hee. Yes, I'm having fun, but I have a hoard of docents who
keep asking "When is the plane going to be finished?"

Margy
Old May 19th 05, 08:35 PM
Margy

Jay Honeck wrote:
Poor folks, I think building would be fun, but only if I had a working
plane and time to build and fly. I guess retirement can't come soon
enough! I tell you having the Navion down for 3 years almost killed me.

I don't know how you did it. I trust you kept current in rental planes?

I wish I had! I took an instructor to pick up the plane and do my BFR.
I have to get checked out in a 172 for our trip to Au and I haven't
flown one of those in 10 + years. I think I might hang out with
instructors for a bit!

Margy

Old May 20th 05, 03:43 AM
Jim Fisher

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

There have been quite a number of books written about why the world's
dominant, most productive and innovative civilizations (at least in the
last several hundred years) have all been in colder climates.

It's a pretty well supported theory that the growth of human intelligence
was fed by ice ages.

Personally, I'd rather be dumb but warm than smart but freezing my ass off.

--
Jim Fisher

Old May 21st 05, 04:49 AM
George Patterson

Jim Fisher wrote:

It's a pretty well supported theory that the growth of human intelligence
was fed by ice ages.

Personally, I'd rather be dumb but warm than smart but freezing my ass off.

Freezing my butt off seems pretty dumb to me.

Old May 23rd 05, 01:35 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Jim Fisher wrote:
Personally, I'd rather be dumb but warm than smart but freezing my ass off.

If you're smart you don't freeze your ass off, that's the beauty of it
:-)

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old May 26th 05, 04:56 PM
A. Miller

Not me. I'd rather fly than build.

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 May 2005 12:11:07 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in vhGie.3725$796.3332@attbi_s21::

He would have spent 3000
nights in an unheated hangar, by himself, and for what?

For the sheer joy of accomplishment as a result of having constructed
a useful machine with his bare hands.

Life is just too short to use that kind of time.

That's a subjective opinion.

Flying is life.

I firmly believe the bulk of aircraft home-builders are mechanics
first, and aviators second. Certainly most of them spend more time in
the hangar than in the air.