O$hko$h bye-bye

Old May 30th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default O$hko$h bye-bye

Rich S. wrote:

Did you read his first paragraph? *

OK (-- civilian limit on comprehension of acromyms)
I'm awake now. Thanks.

Daniel

Old June 2nd 08, 09:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Tue, 20 May 2008 05:41:58 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Having attended Oshkosh for the last 35 years without fail, Jim Weir's
recent message that he'd have to miss this one due to rising fuel
costs, was an item of conversation last Sunday at our Irregularly
Scheduled, Often Delayed, Homebuilder Koffee Klatch here in northern
Sandy Eggo county. (Jim usta hang out around here.)

I made it to Rockford a couple of times but being in the Navy (back
then) Oshkosh never matched my schedule. By the time I retired O$hko
$h had become too expensive for a retired Chief. So I took a by as
the conversation bounced around the table. Of the eight of us hiding
out in the back room at the Picket Fence, two are double-dippers, one
is a Tooth Doctor and another runs an RV factory. Membership in the
ISODHFK is about a dozen and in any given year at least three or four
of them will perform the annual pilgrimage.

But not this year.

Oh, there were some dandy excuses. Along with some guilty glances,
since the Goers often save the Right Seat for the Stayers.

Well, being as I no longer have a valid medical I have a valid excuse,
but I won't use that as I haven't made it to Oshkosh in at least 5
years. It finally got to the point where I couldn't handle the heat
on the hot days. I enjoyed it and IF I don't have to use the excuse
of not being able to find 100LL next year I just might finally make it
back, although number one on my priority list is P-ville even if it
does take 3 to 4 times as much gas to get there as it does Oshkosh.
:-))

Other than computers and Ham Radio, flying is the only thing I spend
time and money on...well that and keeping the house, shop, yard
equipment, trees trimmed, and cars running .Other than that I have
little to do. Oh, I forgot the programming and web pages...and working
out three times a week trying to get full strength and movement back.
Up to 300# on the leg press, 60 reps on lat pull downs, and can stand
on an inverted Bosu Ball on one foot doing knee bends etc, etc,
etc...

But not this year.

Money was mentioned but Rich Folk (meaning just about everyone but me)
don't like to talk about it. Age and medical problems was the hand's
down favorite for Not Going and we plowed that common ground until the
free re-fills ran out and we moseyed off to our Sunday afternoon
pursuits.

It'll be interesting to see how this story plays-out.

-R.S.Hoover

Roger (K8RI) ARRL Life Member
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old June 2nd 08, 09:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Wed, 21 May 2008 19:06:01 -0700 (PDT), Lou
wrote:

It is not just aviation. Due to inflation, I have been feeling decidedly

Inflation? Prices may be going up but I remember having CDs that paid
19.5% and loans were several % higher than that. However as
individuals we could only charge 11% on land contracts.
Now that was inflation.

"unrich" lately. I am sure that I am not alone. I notice that the same
paycheck that felt moderately fat two or three years ago, now does not always
last the full two weeks until the next one arives.

You should be salaried. It's once a month so when I retired I didn't
have to get used to getting my check once a month although I did have
to get used to smaller ones. :-))

You mean before the democrats took over congress?
Lou

Old June 2nd 08, 09:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Thu, 22 May 2008 18:03:58 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Lou" wrote

What the heck does ping mean anyway?

To contact; send an e-mail to his personal e-mail address, in this case.

Ping is what you do between computer addresses to see if they are
talking to each other. Pinging people it shooting paper wads or
throwing rocks or something peope who don't understand computers say
to each other.

Old June 2nd 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

and can stand
on an inverted Bosu Ball on one foot doing knee bends etc, etc,
etc...

I can't even begin to understand what that must look like, being done.

I have a feeling I don't want to know...do I? ggg
--
Jim in NC