EAA Beer Bash

Old May 7th 05, 03:15 AM
Jay Honeck

I wasn't the first reader to question Mr. Honeck's ill conceived
marketing ploy:

"Marketing ploy?" Larry, a marketing ploy is designed to MAKE money.

A "party" is designed to COST money.

Trust me -- we haven't broken even on the pool party yet -- let alone made
money! (Nor would I want to make money on it, quite frankly.) The idea is
to say "thanks" to all the pilots en route to the greatest show on earth,
and to celebrate another great year -- period.

This year it's July 23rd. No admission. No strings. Just free beer, pop,
and food, all burnt at poolside to a delicate patina -- by yours truly!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 7th 05, 03:23 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I wasn't the first reader to question Mr. Honeck's ill conceived
marketing ploy:

"Marketing ploy?" Larry, a marketing ploy is designed to MAKE money.

A "party" is designed to COST money.

Trust me -- we haven't broken even on the pool party yet -- let alone made
money! (Nor would I want to make money on it, quite frankly.) The idea

is
to say "thanks" to all the pilots en route to the greatest show on earth,
and to celebrate another great year -- period.

This year it's July 23rd. No admission. No strings. Just free beer, pop,
and food, all burnt at poolside to a delicate patina -- by yours truly!

:-)

"A man's got to know his limitations!!"

Old May 7th 05, 04:43 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 07 May 2005 02:15:57 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in
xxVee.54333$r53.40993@attbi_s21::

"Marketing ploy?" Larry, a marketing ploy is designed to MAKE money.

A "party" is designed to COST money.

Perhaps. But it would seem that you have a rather captive audience,
in as much as pilots will be unable to depart for 8 house after
consuming the last free drink, and you are in the business of renting
rooms for the night.

And given:

From: "Jay Honeck"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Subject: Oshkosh Bound? Free Beer in Iowa!
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:16:02 GMT

Is there a free sober-up room to go along with the free beer?
:-)

Well, you could lay down in my hanger, I suppose.

We've got two couches there -- one comfy for sleeping, and the
other that we got from the "University Surplus" store. It's hard
plastic, and was obviously designed to be cleaned with a fire
hose, for those "post party" power yawns...
--
Jay Honeck

It would seem that your policy is not to provide complementary rooms
to the guests you entice with beer, so it might accurately be
characterized as a marketing scheme if they are made to pay for a room
at your establishment.

I was perfectly willing to drop this issue, but you keep drawing my
name into it, so you force me to go on reminding you of the facts.

Old May 7th 05, 05:28 AM
Jay Honeck

I was perfectly willing to drop this issue, but you keep drawing my
name into it, so you force me to go on reminding you of the facts.

Ah, Larry . It is you who continue to impugn yourself.

But, be that as it may, you're always welcome at the inn for a cold one.
Even if it's a soda.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 7th 05, 06:10 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 07 May 2005 04:28:35 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in
TtXee.61451$WI3.61136@attbi_s71::

It is you who continue to impugn yourself.

Are you attempting to imply that I contradict myself? That's a bit
ridiculous given the facts.

Which of the definitions given in the links below did you intend for
your use of the word 'impugn'?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=impugn
To attack as false or questionable; challenge in argument: impugn
a political opponent's record.

attack as false or wrong

http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?r=2&q=impugn

criticize

assail

attack

censure

challenge

charge

contradict

contravene

denigrate

denounce

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/impugn

attack as false or wrong

http://www.bartleby.com/61/92/I0069200.html

To attack as false or questionable; challenge in argument: impugn
a political opponent's record.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...nary&va=impugn

to assail by words or arguments : oppose or attack as false

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/i/i0069200.html

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/i/i0069200.html

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/d.../d0006903.html

challenge; call in question; oppose; attack by argument

http://dictionary.reference.com/word...003/07/20.html

impugn \im-PYOON\, transitive verb:
To attack by words or arguments; to call in question; to make
insinuations against; to oppose or challenge as false; to gainsay.

As might be expected of fanatical flag idolaters, the GAR did not
accept refusals lightly, and in one instance in Illinois impugned
the patriotic loyalty of recalcitrant local school administrators
by spreading rumors that one of them was a foreign alien yet to be
naturalized and the other a draft dodger who evaded Civil War
service by fleeing to Canada.
--Albert Boime, The Unveiling of the National Icons

After hearing that her brother had been impugned by his political
rivals, she also wrote a verse defense of his honor, entitled
"Lines on reading an attack upon the political career of the late
Albert Baker Esqr."
--Caroline Fraser, God's Perfect Child

Still, I was unpleasantly surprised when, in the morning, several
of my coworkers took it upon themselves to crassly impugn G.B.'s
capacity for leadership.
--Lydia Millet, George Bush, Dark Prince of Love

Even though it is nowhere alleged that disclosures of sinful
activity by priests impugn the integrity of the entire ministry,
that nevertheless is the passing legacy of the current scandals.
--William F. Buckley Jr., "The House of Disillusion," National
Review, May 14, 2002

http://dictionary.reference.com/word...000/03/03.html

Word of the Day for Friday March 3, 2000
impugn \im-PYOON\, transitive verb:
To attack as false; to challenge in argument; to contradict; to
assail; to call in question; to make insinuations against; to
gainsay; to oppose.

She is never unaware of her own motives, and when her
manipulations fail she does not impugn the self-interest of others
working against her own.
--Elizabeth Hardwick, Sight-Readings: American Fictions

Still, I was unpleasantly surprised when, in the morning, several
of my coworkers took it upon themselves to crassly impugn George
Bush's capacity for leadership.
--Lydia Millet, George Bush, Dark Prince of Love: A Presidential
Romance

Arum said he didn't want to impugn the decision of the judges, but
then he did.
-- Timothy W. Smith, "Trinidad Beat De La Hoya, but King Is the
Big Winner," New York Times, September 20, 1999

http://www.reference.com/search?q=impugn

Old May 7th 05, 01:28 PM
Jay Honeck

It is you who continue to impugn yourself.

Are you attempting to imply that I contradict myself?

I am implying that you continue to look a gift horse in the mouth, to the
bemusement and consternation of many -- myself included.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 7th 05, 02:12 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 07 May 2005 03:43:40 GMT, Larry Dighera wrote:

I was perfectly willing to drop this issue, but you keep drawing my
name into it, so you force me to go on reminding you of the facts.

as a fact: every one, especially a pilot, should know when to drink beer or
not. So it is completely up to the pilot to drink alcohol and rent a room
at Jay's place or somewhere else (or sleep in the plane).

#m
--
http://www.hotze.priv.at/album/aviation/caution.jpg
Old May 7th 05, 03:26 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I was perfectly willing to drop this issue, but you keep drawing my
name into it, so you force me to go on reminding you of the facts.

Ah, Larry . It is you who continue to impugn yourself.

But, be that as it may, you're always welcome at the inn for a cold one.
Even if it's a soda.

Not likely he's of drinking age.

Old May 7th 05, 04:02 PM
RST Engineering

You know, there are damned few places between California and Oshkosh that
give me a hell of a discount on what is arguably a modestly priced room to
start with, toss me the keys to the fueling truck so that I can run down the
the local mogas emporium where I pay street price for airplane mogas, feed
me dinner for free (and perhaps even a mug or two of Old Rammycackle if I
feel like it), feed me breakfast the next morning, and fly formation with me
into Oshkosh.

What's all the bellowing about? Is it free food? TINSTAAFL, but this comes
about as close as you can get to it. And nobody is twisting my arm to run
fifty miles out of my way to do it.

Jim

Old May 7th 05, 08:58 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 07 May 2005 12:28:55 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in
bw2fe.55224$r53.13958@attbi_s21::

It is you who continue to impugn yourself.

Are you attempting to imply that I contradict myself?

I am implying that you continue to look a gift horse in the mouth, to the
bemusement and consternation of many -- myself included.

Then why didn't you say that?

If you deliberately wish to continue to experience that perplexity,
continue to mention my name when you post your beer announcement. If
not, ... The choice is yours.

Like I said before, it was the phrasing you chose in 2003, "Free Beer
En Route," to which I objected.

What I want to know is what I did to cause you to go back on your
decision to 'kill file' me?

From: "Jay Honeck"
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 19:28:46 GMT

Perhaps we represent polar-opposite points of view. You insist
on impishness, and I maturity.

Which do you feel is more appropriate for airmen to display
publicly?

Congratulations, Larry! You've earned a position as the very
first (and thus far, only) person in my "killfile"!

*plonk*
--
Jay Honeck