Who parks South at OSH

Old May 26th 05, 03:59 AM
Morgans

Default Who parks South at OSH

I know that Vintage is in the South area at OSH, but I have questions as to
what is where down there.

What is in the rows along the runway, in the rows between the road and the
taxiway, South of Aero Square? There are the Trimotors, and big old
Biplanes, old airliners, Seaplanes, and some other stuff that is old enough,
(and beautiful) and then there are the classics in the areas on the other
side of the road.

South of those areas, extending down to the South 40, I have seen all kinds
of planes, with owners camping with them, including RV's, and other
homebuilts.

Can someone lay out the what's and where's, and the rules for the different
areas, down there?

Much appreciated!

And Cye, if you are listening, I'm bringing a different old van with lots of
miles, but I recently put a new transmission in it, so I should not need
your help, this year!

Knock knock knock. (that is the sound of me knocking on wood g)
--
Jim in NC

Old May 26th 05, 05:45 AM
Montblack

("Morgans" wrote)
[snips]
I know that Vintage is in the South area at OSH, but I have questions as to
what is where down there.

What is in the rows along the runway, in the rows between the road and the
taxiway, South of Aero Square? There are the Trimotors, and big old
Biplanes, old airliners, Seaplanes, and some other stuff that is old
enough,
(and beautiful) and then there are the classics in the areas on the other
side of the road.

Ercoupe Lane (or is it Avenue?) is one.
Row of Beech 18's with the one Lockheed Electra mixed in, was there.
Cessna 195's were in big pack last year in that location.

Montblack

Old May 26th 05, 06:05 AM
RST Engineering

Those of us in classics. One year I'm told the holdup for an hour while we
waited was that they were mowing down cornrows for us to park on in row 150
something. Anything south of about row 100 is called FondDuLac North.

Jim

Old May 26th 05, 12:14 PM
Ron Natalie

Morgans wrote:
I know that Vintage is in the South area at OSH, but I have questions as to
what is where down there.

Not only do I park down there, I park the planes that park down there.

What is in the rows along the runway, in the rows between the road and the
taxiway, South of Aero Square? There are the Trimotors, and big old
Biplanes, old airliners, Seaplanes, and some other stuff that is old enough,
(and beautiful) and then there are the classics in the areas on the other
side of the road.

The area directly south of the communications building and north of the
Vintage Hq (RED BARN) is reserved for some special large stuff (the
trimotors), past show champions, and a few other "specials" at the
discretion of the vintage committee.

The next dozen or so rows on the runway side are reserved for
non-camping vintage planes. Accross the road, the first few
rows (near the theatre in the woods) is reserved for "antiques"
(i.e. pre-WWII). The rest of the parking is pretty much first
come, first served.

South of those areas, extending down to the South 40, I have seen all kinds
of planes, with owners camping with them, including RV's, and other
homebuilts.

Not anymore. Starting last year the homebuilders have their own camping
area. In the past any showplane (mostly vintage and homebuilders) who
want to camp camp there.
Old May 26th 05, 12:16 PM
Ron Natalie

Montblack wrote:

Ercoupe Lane (or is it Avenue?) is one.
Row of Beech 18's with the one Lockheed Electra mixed in, was there.
Cessna 195's were in big pack last year in that location.

While some type clubs arrange a special contiguous parking area,
the ERCOUPE alley actually is just a group that flies in together
so they just get all parked in the same row.

These type society rows are special events (frequently some great
aniversary of the types inception). They're held for the first
few fly-in days but then the spaces get recycled if not used.
Old May 26th 05, 10:34 PM
Morgans

"Ron Natalie" wrote

Not anymore. Starting last year the homebuilders have their own camping
area. In the past any showplane (mostly vintage and homebuilders) who
want to camp camp there.

Thanks. That clears it up. I remember talking to you and Margie about you
sending lots of stuff back north, but I remembered the RV's and stuff
camping there, from a couple years ago. With my transmission escapades last
year, I never made it that far south. :-(
--
Jim in NC