EAA plans major building expansion?

Old May 29th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
351DP

Default EAA plans major building expansion?

I have a friend on EAAs board that basically confirms that they are
expanding Airventure. I guess EAA makes 80% or more of their cash off
of Airventure and the board intends to focus on the event. Much of
this money comes from the big displays, I guess Cirrus, Cessna,
Lycoming and the like make a ton of money at the show. He also said
that one of the other folks on the Board is a former or present CFO,
CEO, whatever of either six flags or Bush Gardens Amusement parks.
The new plan includes some sort of tram, better bathrooms, more bells
and whistles: He didn't mention rides but get ready for a more Disney-
Like Airventure non the less.
Old May 29th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Andy Asberry[_2_]

On Wed, 28 May 2008 18:03:29 -0700 (PDT), 351DP
wrote:

I have a friend on EAAs board that basically confirms that they are
expanding Airventure. I guess EAA makes 80% or more of their cash off
of Airventure and the board intends to focus on the event. Much of
this money comes from the big displays, I guess Cirrus, Cessna,
Lycoming and the like make a ton of money at the show. He also said
that one of the other folks on the Board is a former or present CFO,
CEO, whatever of either six flags or Bush Gardens Amusement parks.
The new plan includes some sort of tram, better bathrooms, more bells
and whistles: He didn't mention rides but get ready for a more Disney-
Like Airventure non the less.

Some RV hookups would be useable year round.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Old May 29th 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 28 May 2008 10:24:11 -0700 (PDT), Lou wrote:

Steve.

/ I still have fun at OSH
// Wish I could get a scooter pass

What's a scooter pass?

Permission to drive a motorized vehicle on the grounds... a.k.a., "License to
Kill". :-)

Ron "I had one last year" Wanttaja
Old May 29th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve S.

What's a scooter pass?

Permission to drive a motorized vehicle on the grounds... a.k.a., "License to
Kill". :-)

Ron "I had one last year" Wanttaja

*******. I would happily settle for a bike . . .

True story: Our group rents a house in town for the duration of the
show. The people we rent from work security during the show (they are
teachers during the other 51 weeks of the year). We have tried many
times to milk the fact that we pay them large dollars and reside in
their house for some kind of security-related favoritism. All to no
avail.

On the last day of the show last summer one of our vendors stopped by
our area and chatted for a bit. I mentioned my longing for a scooter
pass, and he proudly pointed out that the scooter he was riding was
sans pass--he had managed to sneak about for the whole show. The
folks from whom we rent the house (again, security people) also
stopped by--at that same time--to say hello and so forth. Thus our
display became an impromptu ambush for our poor vendor. In the end we
just had to sit back and observe the carnage from a safe distance.

Steve.
Old May 29th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I bring this up because a lot of people feel that EAA has become too
commercial and has forgotten their constituency.

EAA is a big business with a shrinking constituency. Look at the "Gone
West" column each month, and all the empty airports, and it's easy to see
what they're up against.

If expanding the Airventure grounds so that it may be better used for other
events helps to preserve our annual fly-in, I'm all for it. I wish it were
otherwise, but there just ain't enough new pilots in the pipeline to support
EAA. As a result, their choices are rather stark.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 2nd 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:99L0k.3194$t07.1982
@newsfe22.lga:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote in

I bring this up because a lot of people feel that EAA has become

too
commercial and has forgotten their constituency.

EAA is a big business with a shrinking constituency. Look at the
"Gone West" column each month, and all the empty airports, and it's
easy to see what they're up against.

If expanding the Airventure grounds so that it may be better used

for
other events helps to preserve our annual fly-in, I'm all for it.

wish it were otherwise, but there just ain't enough new pilots in

the
pipeline to support EAA. As a result, their choices are rather

stark.

There were only two at the beginning, idiot.

Who come to your limited mind, you and Anthony?

Paul Poberezny and Steve Whitman, actually.

Bertie
Old June 3rd 08, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Hawkeye[_2_]

It has only take two decades to get EAA to realize that it is in not
only to their benefit, but also the taxpayers of Winnebago County to
combine the AirVenture Grounds with the Fairgrounds...afterall it is
county property. When they build the existing fairgrounds there were
those who said combine the two...but no, EAA seemed to have the
political pull to keep everyone away from their corner of the world
and have the county taketh away land from landowners to expand the
airport grounds even further. Much of this expansion was being used
for vehicle parking, which subsidized the farmers who owned it...now
EAA collects the cash.

Over the past few years EAA has opened the doors to other events such
as Ducks Unlimited and a agriculture show. I believe John Deere still
has their dealer conventions there...hence the green tractors and ATVs
that blanket the grounds during the convention.

The taxpayers were cheated, now it has become apparent that EAAs sole
control of the grounds was short sighted. Even the new Country USA
grounds west of the airport aren't working as well as
predicted...access to the highway, something the EAA grounds has...had
they built a new amphitheater there (on the airport grounds) a decade
ago, it would have saved a lot of wasted resources and money.

The fairgrounds on the north side was a huge mistake...something about
building it across the road and downwind of the county landfill
doesn't make attending concerts enjoyable after a particularly busy
day at the dump.

Many of us knew this would happen...had they listened to us then, we
wouldn't be talking about it now. The geographic footprint of the
airport isn't justified 50 of the 52 weeks a year. Had the forefathers
of Winnebago and Outagamie Counties been able to agree on a location
for a joint airport....things would be a whole lot different than they
are today.

Before you ask...yes I am a member of EAA and a resident and taxpayer
of Winnebago County.
Old June 3rd 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

:

[...]

no H, 2 t's

I fly steve's 8th design.

(I know, spelling errors are kook baits :-) )
Stealth Pilot
Old June 3rd 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell[_2_]

Paul Poberezny and Steve Whitman, actually.

Bertie

no H, 2 t's

I fly steve's 8th design.

(I know, spelling errors are kook baits :-) )
Stealth Pilot

Not when he is trying to quote someone, you actually got him.

Coarse, he will just lie.

Old June 3rd 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

wrote:

There were only two at the beginning, idiot.

Who come to your limited mind, you and Anthony?

Paul Poberezny and Steve Whitman, actually.

Bertie

Nope. Paul Pobernezny is EAA #1, Steve Wittman was EAA #34.