tube and fabric and outdoor storage

Old May 30th 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Foley

Default tube and fabric and outdoor storage

"Lou" wrote in message

Oh I'm sure they do. I found a small grass strip by me that will let
me
build a solid hanger but charge me $50 a month to rent the ground.
Lou

That's what I'm paying to rent the ground under my plane. The problem is
that these things take up more space than a plane, especially if you
alternate high wings and low wings.

Old May 30th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

On May 30, 1:00*pm, "Steve Foley" wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message
Oh I'm sure they do. I found a small grass strip by me that will let
me
build a solid hanger but charge me $50 a month to rent the ground.
* * * *Lou

$50.00 a month isn't bad for dirt rental. I'm paying $45.00 a month
(combined) for two 8x25 slots to park my trailers in what equates to
an overglorified junk yard. (The sign says RV storage, but...) One is
for my glider's hauler trailer (up on blocks since that last rollover)
and one for a small boat. Doubt very many folks cound get thier plane
into a 16'x25' square.

Harry Frey
Old May 30th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Mike Isaksen

"Lou" wrote ...
I found a small grass strip by me that will let me build
a solid hanger but charge me $50 a month to rent the ground.

Devil in the details:
Who pays the property taxes on it?
Who owns it if you move next year?
Who owns it after it is fully paid off?

Most of these "deals" involve you building it, the land owner takes claim
and pays taxes as part of airport improvement, you get a "good but seldom
great" long term lease.

And to the guy with access to a $500 per month hanger; they are $700-800
monthly for a T-hanger with concrete floor and a single 15amp circuit in the
Greater NYC area. That's a great paint job every year.

Old May 30th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

On May 30, 2:38 pm, "Mike Isaksen" wrote:
"Lou" wrote ...

I found a small grass strip by me that will let me build
a solid hanger but charge me $50 a month to rent the ground.

Devil in the details:
Who pays the property taxes on it?

It would be considered a temperory building, so low taxes

Who owns it if you move next year?

If you design it right, you should be able to tear it down and take
it.

Who owns it after it is fully paid off?

See above

Most of these "deals" involve you building it, the land owner takes claim
and pays taxes as part of airport improvement, you get a "good but seldom
great" long term lease.

And to the guy with access to a $500 per month hanger; they are $700-800
monthly for a T-hanger with concrete floor and a single 15amp circuit in the
Greater NYC area. That's a great paint job every year.

I'll be honest, if I had to pay $700 a year, I would consider an all
metal
airplane, keep it outside and sock the money away for a custom paint
job every few years. But thats just me.
Lou

Old May 30th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Mike Isaksen" wrote in message

"Lou" wrote ...
I found a small grass strip by me that will let me build
a solid hanger but charge me $50 a month to rent the ground.

Devil in the details:
Who pays the property taxes on it?
Who owns it if you move next year?
Who owns it after it is fully paid off?

Most of these "deals" involve you building it, the land owner takes claim
and pays taxes as part of airport improvement, you get a "good but seldom
great" long term lease.

And to the guy with access to a $500 per month hanger; they are $700-800
monthly for a T-hanger with concrete floor and a single 15amp circuit in
the Greater NYC area. That's a great paint job every year.

I have not personally checked, but friends have been quoting $700-800 and
rising in the Miami and Fort Lauderdale areas. Given the typical income
levels in the areas, the price makes a sort of sense (but not completely)
in the NYC area; but no sense at all in southern Florida. However, they are
still mostly occupied; so there is really no relief in sight...

Peter

Old May 30th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601Xl Builder

Steve Foley wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

Oh I'm sure they do. I found a small grass strip by me that will let
me
build a solid hanger but charge me $50 a month to rent the ground.
Lou

That's what I'm paying to rent the ground under my plane. The problem is
that these things take up more space than a plane, especially if you
alternate high wings and low wings.

That's pretty close to what I'm paying on the ground under my hanger on
an airport with 2 fully paved runways, several paved taxi ways
(including the one I'm on), ILS and other approaches and access to water
& electric.

The only down side is, well, you have to live in South Arkansas.
Old May 30th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message
Jerry Springer wrote:

I'd be careful with these "Dri-Z-Air" things around a plane.

I had one in my shop, sitting on top of my table saw. It was have full
when I bumped it, spilling maybe a quarter cup. I was in a rush so I
didn't clean it up right away. The NEXT day I had a really nasty patch
of corrosion on the saw where the spill was.

Now obviously a cast iron table saw has different metallurgy than a tube
& fabric plane. But my point is that the liquid these things generate
is not just simple water. Whatever it is, its pretty reactive and not
something I would want around metal that my life depends on.

Calcium Chloride

It may make an impressive looking bucket of liquid, but unless you have it
in a tightly sealed space, it won't do much to reduce the humidity.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old May 31st 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On May 29, 12:51 am, "Robert Loer" wrote:
Can not possibly afford a hanger and can not find a shelter so my plane will
have to sit out. Is a fabric covered plane an absolute no-no? What can be
done?

Fabric often sits outside, but the climate is a big factor as
is the type of fabric and cover system. Dry and cool climates don't
hurt much, but hot sun cooks the finish and moist climates can cause
condensation that corrodes the structure or results in mildew inside
the fabric. There are still some cotton-covered airplanes around that
shouldn't be outside.
What covering system is on it? How old is it? Is it well-
drained?

I see more damage to fabric-covered airplanes due to people
(Poke, poke. "Look, George, this here is just cloth painted to look
like metal. How devious can you get? Look how the paint cracks when
you push hard on it...oops, I stuck my finger right through it. Let's
get out of here. Pretend nothing happened.") and wind, which slams the
control surfaces around and blows dirt and dust into everything. And
hail. A hangar is more important for those reasons than for fabric
life, I'd say.

Dan

Old May 31st 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jerry Springer

Jerry Springer wrote:

I'd be careful with these "Dri-Z-Air" things around a plane.

I had one in my shop, sitting on top of my table saw. It was have full
when I bumped it, spilling maybe a quarter cup. I was in a rush so I
didn't clean it up right away. The NEXT day I had a really nasty patch
of corrosion on the saw where the spill was.

Now obviously a cast iron table saw has different metallurgy than a tube
& fabric plane. But my point is that the liquid these things generate
is not just simple water. Whatever it is, its pretty reactive and not
something I would want around metal that my life depends on.

Calcium Chloride

It may make an impressive looking bucket of liquid, but unless you have
it in a tightly sealed space, it won't do much to reduce the humidity.

Better that liquid in that bucket than inside my airplane. And it works
great IF YOU keep it changed regularly.
Old June 1st 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Heres an alternative

http://www.shop.kennoncovers.com