Photos NCW 007

Old December 5th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mal[_4_]

Default Photos NCW 007

http://cupweek.narromineglidingclub.com.au

www.mals.net

Old December 5th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

On Dec 5, 2:20 am, "Mal" wrote:
http://cupweek.narromineglidingclub.com.au

www.mals.net

Mal,

I've thought about a trailer with fold out sides for the wings and
now, I see that someone has made one. See your photo at:
http://cupweek.narromineglidingclub....ages/derig.htm

Can you tell us how the ease of rigging and de-rigging compares to a
Cobra or Komet?

How weatherproof is the design? There's a lot of seams that have to
be built "just right" to keep out the rain.

Ray

Ray
Old December 6th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mal[_4_]

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~wimmsoar/fleet.htm

Hi Ray its owned by Horsham gliding club I asked for some feed back awaiting
response.

Mal

Old December 10th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graeme Cant

I've had a close look at that trailer and it's a marvellous piece of
design and construction. The Mini-Nimbus which it houses was for sale a
few years ago and I almost bought it for the trailer alone.

You can see the sealing system in the pictures. The rim of the opening
overlaps the moving panel. I'm not sure how good it would be for
several hours on an unsealed road but there was no sign of water
problems and it was made nearly 30 years ago. I believe there are
rubber seals around the edge but that detail is a little hazy.

When the rear of the trailer is opened, there is a 1/2" square drive in
each top corner on the end of shafts which run the length of the
trailer. Turning these (with a wheel) opens the side panels which have
the wing clamped to them. The mechanism is not just a simple hinge but
works through sprockets and chain. In the second photo, the rear of the
shaft and the rear sprocket and chain can be seen to the left of the
right elbow of the guy in the blue jacket. When you've found it in the
second photo, it's easy to pick up in the first.

Rigging, the fuselage is pulled out and the sides are laid horizontal
with the wings clamped to them. The root holder swings so the tip is
released from its fitting, swung back into position and put on a stand.
Then the root is released and fitted. Altogether a really different
trailer and very well executed.

Built in the bush by a farmer if I recall correctly. The design owes
more to John Deere than Alfred Spindelberger I think.

GC

Old December 10th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

There is at least one trailer of similar design in the US - I helped
rig a Ventus (?) out of it at Turf Soaring (Phoenix, AZ) back around
1999 or so. Beautiful construction, fairly easy to use (but no better
than a Cobra, really).

I think it would make it almost impossible to use a one-man rig, since
it looks like you can't roll the root out solo.

And HEAVY! Lots of steel involved.

It does make a great picnic/work bench/bar when the glider is rigged,
though...

Kirk
Old December 11th 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mal[_4_]

Mal,

The trailer in question was designed by one of the Horsham club member
(Lorrie Bunnik) quite some years ago. This year I saw it in action at the
Narromine Cup however it is not without its problems. My advice is stick
with a Cobra or Komet trailer, they seem to work very well and don't burn
nearly as much fuel as towing a normal box style trailer.

The reply

Old December 11th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Mal and all,

My curiosity was piqued by the trailer, but I'm quite happy with my
Swan (www.swan-trailer.de) and have no desire to get anything else.
Before the Swan, I had a bit of a funky/ugly homebuilt trailer that
towed VERY easily, but did not have any storage door up front, no
brakes, did not seal out weather very well, and made it a real pain to
rig and derig. So, whenever I see a "different" kind of trailer;
i.e., something other than the Cobra/Komet/ clam shell design or the
ever-present "tube" designs, I just want to learn more, just for the
sake of learning.

Thanks,
Ray

photos dominiquedere Aviation Photos 0 May 26th 07 10:17 PM
MD-83 Photos? Terje Viggo Bergstøl General Aviation 0 May 18th 04 07:32 PM
~ PHOTOS FROM THE FALLUJAH MASSACRE [won't find *these* photos on TekTeam26 Military Aviation 0 April 12th 04 01:49 AM
PB-1W, P2B-1S and PO-1W photos Harriet and John Naval Aviation 0 December 21st 03 10:01 PM
C-150 for photos? Simone Canosa Piloting 17 December 6th 03 01:49 AM