FAI-KM on OLC ???

Old May 27th 19, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FAI-KM on OLC ???

OK OLC gurus, what does FAI-KM mean on OLC?

Thanks

Kevin
92
Old May 27th 19, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 6:22:33 PM UTC-7, wrote:
OK OLC gurus, what does FAI-KM mean on OLC?

Thanks

Kevin
92

Noit sure where it says "FAI-KM" but it will mean FAI triangle distance. FAI sporting code explains FAI triangles.
Old May 27th 19, 11:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 9:22:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
OK OLC gurus, what does FAI-KM mean on OLC?

Thanks

Kevin
92

From OLC rules ( https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....overview/b2_en ):

"4.3 Scoring Courses

4.3.1 OLC Classic Course

After the flight, a departure point, up to five turn points and a finish point are positioned on the recorded flight path in such a way that the raw point score, from the departure point round the turn points to the finish point, is a great as possible and the departure altitude is no more than 1000m above the finish altitude.

4.3.2 FAI OLC Course (based on the FAI)

If possible, three turn points are chosen on the recorded, closed flight path such that they define an FAI triangle with the greatest possible circumference, whereby

- the shortest leg must be at least 28% of the FAI distance
- if the FAI distance is 500 km or more, the shortest leg must be at least 25% and the longest leg at most 45% of the FAI distance.

The departure point can be between two turn points of the triangle. The flight path is considered to be closed if the finish point is within 1 km of the start point, and the departure altitude is not more that 1000 m above the finish altitude. (Tip: If an FAI triangle is planned, a departure point should be defined before the flight, which can then be approached on the return flight.)

4.4 OLC Plus Score

The OLC Classic distance is scored with 1.0 raw points per km. The FAI OLC distance is scored with 0.3 raw points per km. These points constitute the OLC-FAI bonus. The raw points of the OLC Plus score are obtained by adding the FAI OLC bonus to the raw points of the OLC Classic distance. To compensate for the differences in glider performance, the raw point score thus obtained is multiplied by 100 and divided by the valid OLC index. The result, rounded to one hundredth of a point, is the final score for the flight. The minimum score for a flight is 50 points. Shorter flights are shown on line, but not included in the scores."

Dan
Old May 27th 19, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Dan, so pre declared, and also have to take the 1000m height like doing record flights. Frequently will declare a course but yesterday we just did a big triangle around the class C, and went through the edge talking to them.

Kevin
92
Old May 27th 19, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Monday, May 27, 2019 at 8:29:48 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Thanks Dan, so pre declared, and also have to take the 1000m height like doing record flights. Frequently will declare a course but yesterday we just did a big triangle around the class C, and went through the edge talking to them.

Kevin
92

No problem; it also has to look equilateral, more or less; this, to prevent a 'long thin' triangle on a ridge, with one TP 1 km off. Intent, I believe, is to make everyone on the task have headwind at some point. All triangles qualify, the 30% bonus is for FAI Triangles.

Our club is getting interested in this; one caution, the server gives you BHC result on your daily return (if the task qualifies and you make it). However, if you look at the BHC Champion page, it only shows up later - we see about 48 hrs. It is reliable, within that constraint.
Old May 27th 19, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

No declaration required for OLC. You do need to close the triangle with
less than 1000m altitude loss.

The BHC (Baron Hilton Cup) needs to be declared but the 25/28% rules do not apply. I believe the tasks can have only one or 2 turnpoints.

For the triangle 'bonus' in OLC-Plus, the 25/28% rule does apply. A declaration is not required.

For FAI tasks the triangle needs to satisfy the 28% rule up to 750km, then 25%. A change in the OLC-Plus rules is the 28% goes up to 500km then 28% afterwards. So it is a bit easier to make a triangle on OLC.
Old May 28th 19, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KarlBoutin

You don't have to do an FAI triangle in BHC but if you do, you get 30% bonus points.

I believe you can have a three turn points triangular course. I may try to test this this week with my start and finish being on one leg of the triangle

Old May 29th 19, 10:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I think the problem is we did not close out triangles from where we started soaring. Was just thinking about having a great flight instead of closing the triangle.

Kevin
92