C172 Plane crash Orlando, FL

Old January 12th 05, 09:09 PM
CFLav8r

Default C172 Plane crash Orlando, FL

We have had an unfortunate plane crash here yesterday.
I Cessna 172 developed engine problems and could not make the airport (KORL)
the plane ended up coming down just a few miles NW of the intended airport.
A chopper news 6 helicopter was on scene as the pilot tried to land the
plane on a road adjacent to a golf course. At the last moment the pilot
appears to veer away from the road to avoid rear-ending a car and instead
hits a power pole.
Passenger in critical condition, pilot did not make it.

Someone has upload the news video on alt.binaries.multimedia.aviation

Old January 12th 05, 09:26 PM
jsmith

I watched it several times.
What I cannot figure out is why, with all the holes to choose from, he
tried to land next to the clubhouse?
It looked like he was trying to land on the entrance drive and didn't
see the poles and wires until he was 20 feet above the road, then tried
to turn right onto what little turf there was infront of the building.

Old January 12th 05, 10:51 PM
Jay Honeck

See more he

http://www.local6.com/news/4072749/detail.html#

It's tragic. He had it made, till the last second, but then veered to
avoid hitting that vehicle that was driving down the road he was trying to
land on.

That makes him a hero, in my book.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 12th 05, 11:04 PM
Joe Johnson

"jsmith" wrote in message ...
I watched it several times.
What I cannot figure out is why, with all the holes to choose from, he
tried to land next to the clubhouse?
It looked like he was trying to land on the entrance drive and didn't
see the poles and wires until he was 20 feet above the road, then tried
to turn right onto what little turf there was infront of the building.

I agree--what was wrong with a nice, long fairway? When I'm flying around,
I always look for golf courses because they're easy to spot and offer a nice
"out" in case of emregency.

Old January 12th 05, 11:06 PM
Cockpit Colin

Sky 6 filmed bystanders pulling one of the victims from the wreckage and
dragging him away from the plane and on to a golf course green.

Unless it was on fire, that's about the worse possible thing they could have
done.

Old January 13th 05, 06:16 AM
BTIZ

there were reports of fuel draining from the wing and smoke from the hot
engine, on interview they mentioned fear of possible fire..

BT

Old January 13th 05, 06:43 AM
cpu

I watch the video again and again with my fellow pilot friends. We
really don't understand why they did not elect on land on the greens
(to their right) and end up running out of choice and hit the pole. We
don't think that narrow road was a feasible choice anyway. That road
is too narrow with power lines next to it.

If you watch closely, there was a person stood in one of the greens.
Probably that was why they veered left and end up hitting the pole.

Well, too sad. It could be a great text book manuaver but end up with
what not to do. January 05 Issue of Aviation Safety Magzine has one
exactly paragraph talking about the same engine out force landing
how-to.
(see
http://www.aviationsafetymagazine.co...es/7828-1.html)
If they read this article days before, they probably won't make such
fatal mistake.

Watch the crash video in
http://www.local6.com/news/4072749/detail.html

-cpu

Old January 13th 05, 07:56 AM
Kyprianos Biris

"CFLav8r" wrote in message
m...

Someone has upload the news video on alt.binaries.multimedia.aviation

Could not find it.
Also the local6 applet does not download.
I tried also
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in666322.shtml
but no joy.

Anywhere else that this video can be downloaded from ?

Old January 13th 05, 01:09 PM
Jay Honeck

Anywhere else that this video can be downloaded from ?

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_vi...annel=national

Scroll down the video list.
--
Jay Honeck