control cable questions

Old May 7th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dick[_1_]

Default control cable questions

Having to reject the last nicropress
on the rudder, two strands were cut when the nircopress was cut off with a
drmel tool.

The question is whether we can reinstall a nicropress in the original
position and then add one an 1/8" further?? or,

Make splice two lengths of control cable with double nicropresses?? or,

Is there any reason why a turnbuckle couldn't be used ouitside the fuselage
at the rudder??

Thanks

Old May 7th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim Ward[_1_]

"Dick" wrote in message
Having to reject the last nicropress
on the rudder, two strands were cut when the nircopress was cut off with a
drmel tool.

The question is whether we can reinstall a nicropress in the original
position and then add one an 1/8" further?? or,

Make splice two lengths of control cable with double nicropresses?? or,

Is there any reason why a turnbuckle couldn't be used ouitside the

fuselage
at the rudder??

Thanks

A big pair of end nippers is a very useful tool when you need to remove
nicopress sleeves. Too late now, of course.

Tim Ward

Old May 7th 08, 11:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dick[_1_]

we were able to dremel down the center between the two cable segments but
removing the halfs apparently caused the damage.

Hope someone has some advise as the Bingelis books don't address repairs...

thanks

Old May 7th 08, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

"Tim Ward" wrote in message

"Dick" wrote in message
Having to reject the last nicropress
on the rudder, two strands were cut when the nircopress was cut off with
drmel tool.

The question is whether we can reinstall a nicropress in the original
position and then add one an 1/8" further?? or,

Make splice two lengths of control cable with double nicropresses?? or,

Is there any reason why a turnbuckle couldn't be used ouitside the

fuselage
at the rudder??

Thanks

A big pair of end nippers is a very useful tool when you need to remove
nicopress sleeves. Too late now, of course.

Tim Ward

there are swaged ends available that would correct your problem.
they require a swaging machine to fit them though.
they are about 3 inches long
look for ms20667 fork end, or ms20668 eye end, or ms21259 stud end.
or even an ms21260 turnbuckle end.
they are in the aircraft spruce cattledog.

Stealth Pilot
Old May 7th 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Drew Dalgleish

If it was my plane I'd throw the cable away and start over. Hiding the
2 broken strands under a new nico is a bad idea but adding a splice or
turnbuckle would work. Cable is cheap though so why not just change
the whole thing. As screw ups go that's only a little one.

Old May 7th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601Xl Builder

Dick wrote:
Having to reject the last nicropress
on the rudder, two strands were cut when the nircopress was cut off with a
drmel tool.

The question is whether we can reinstall a nicropress in the original
position and then add one an 1/8" further?? or,

Make splice two lengths of control cable with double nicropresses?? or,

Is there any reason why a turnbuckle couldn't be used ouitside the fuselage
at the rudder??

Thanks

A turnbuckle is outside the fuselage at the rudder horn is in the design
of the Zenith 601XL so if it doesn't get binded in anyway you should be OK.
Old May 7th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dick[_1_]

agreed, no hiding strands. however with all three of us big, heavy, stiff
guys, we can't get inside the fuselage G

Old May 7th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

On 2008-05-07, Dick wrote:
agreed, no hiding strands. however with all three of us big, heavy, stiff
guys, we can't get inside the fuselage G

Can you use the old cable as a fish tape to pull the new cable through?
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old May 7th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dick[_1_]

now there's the answer I wanted. Just out of curiosity, what connection
method is used at the rudder pedals.
thanks
"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote in message
m...

Old May 7th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601Xl Builder

Dick wrote:
now there's the answer I wanted. Just out of curiosity, what connection
method is used at the rudder pedals.
thanks

I don't have my plans here at the office they are at the airport but I
THINK. It is an AN115-21 cable shackle. If someone else doesn't pop up
with the answer shortly I can find out for you.