GWB and the Air Guard

Old February 14th 04, 06:07 AM
Lawrence Dillard

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:23:11 -0500, "Lawrence Dillard"
wrote:

Snip

SNIP

Not quite; as the Colonel relates below, he "stayed the course" of the
Guard's transition, whereas GWB did not.

The colonel remained in the Guard. That was a choice not an
obligation. GWB, was honorably released from the Guard. That was a
choice not an obligation.

The issue is not whether anyone managed an "honorable release", but whether
GWB managed to actually physically serve his complete tour, or was paid
while not performing is reserve function.

With respect, the ANGs of that time mostly bore no resemblance to today's
ANG's, especially in terms of preparation, and in integration with active
service components; I find it a bit disingenuous of GWB to try to link

his
service in an air-defense cadre, which was highly unlikely to be called

serve in Viet Nam, with those men and women who have served in the Guards

in
the years since the ending of the Cold War.

Excuse me son, but ANG units deployed regularly to SEA throughout the
conflict. In fact, at the time that GWB entered Guard service, there
were F-102 units deployed operationally in Vietnam and Thailand.
Several F-102s were lost during the war. Other ANG units experience
combat (and losses) in other aircraft types.

I stand corrected to an extent, as I did not clearly enough state my
meaning. The context, however, was supplied by the Colonel, who recounted
the way things were with a specific NG, the TANG. I should have emphasized
that factor more clearly. In any event, by the time GWB finished his
type-training in the F-102, there was a greatly diminished demand for their
services with active-duty squadrons, and his service does not withstand
comparison to that to which modern-day units can often be subjected.

They were right about that, certainly. But furthrmore, it made sense only

call up units likely to be able to play a role in the fighting.

There were only two aircraft types in the entire USAF that were not
operated in SEA, the F-106 and the B-58. Every other aircraft in the
inventory was "able to play a role in the fighting."

Again, by the time GWB qualified in the F-102, that a/c type was no longer
in great demand in the war zone.

GWB's being excused from service, it has been claimed, had not to do

either
with career obligations or with career conflicts. It apparently is part

and
parcel of persistent claims/rumors that GWB was arrested on a charge of
cocaine posession in his home state (during 1972); however, his "record"

on
this issue has allegedly been expunged due to the intervention of an

elected
Texas judge who owed the Bush family a favor. In any event, while GWB's
enlistment was originally intended to end on a May 26, 1974 date of
separation, (per the National Guard Bureau, Arlington, VA), in fact, his
separation was Nov. 21, 1974 (per the headquartrs, Air Reserve Personnel
Center, Denver, CO).

By late 1970, the USAF and USN were drawing down training requirements
for aircrews significantly. Production of pilots and navs for AF was
reduced from more than 5000/year to around 3000. (I was the director
of Air Training Command undergrad flying training assignments at the
time.) Releases from service commitments in '72-'74 were common.

Was GWB released early from his service commitment? Or was he required to
make up for missing about six months' time of service, instead? I have seen
no indication that GWB requested early release from TANG.

The USN training program at Pensacola in late '71 had a blood-letting
in which 400 trainees were released from pilot training, some of them
within two weeks of graduation and receipt of their wings.

I can see no connection between that state of affairs and the issue at hand:
whether GWB actually properly fulfilled his service commitment and was
legally paid for doing so, or not, that is, was GFWB a "ghost payroller" who
performed no duties yet was credited therefore and still got paid to boot.

What makes things look bad or GWB is that after undergoing the requisite
flight training for an air-defense mission, he opted out of flying (or

was
involuntarily grounded by Texas Air National Guard) by failing to take

the
required annual flight physical; this physical, for the first time,

included
drug-testing. GWB has acknowledged that he worked with Houston-based

Project
PULL during 1972, leading to suggestions that this was in fact a

"sentence"
to community service in relation to his arrest/expungement.

First, note that UPT takes more than a year. Survival, operational
training and unit check takes another year. During that entire time,
you are on full time active duty and every time you kick the tires and
light the fire in a single-engine, single-seat Century Series jet, it
can kill you--all by itself without help from an enemy.

The Colonel made the above perfectly clear. I join those who applaud the
intrepid GWB for completing his training. However, again, that is not the
issue. GWB failed to complete a required flight physical (July, 1972) after
going operational on the F-102, for which he was suspended and grounded from
TANG aviating (August, 1972). His records from TSNG show no actual duty
after May,m 1972. (Mastrer Personnel Record, Form 712). It is a matter of
record that GWB was assigned to ARF (ARPC, Denver, Co) (October, 1972),
where Guard members are sent, for (as I stated in my earlier post) among
other things, disciplinary reasons. Neither drills nor attendance were
required, however. GWB accumulated only ARF points during the time in
question. As far as I know, ARF duty is not counted by TANG as "official
duty" with TANG. So it appears that GWB did serve faithfully for three years
(approx), then less than 30 days during a fourth year, and apparently no
service (ARF duties not being counted by TANG) during the last two years of
his commitment.

Note also that public service and volunteerism is a prerequisite for
public office. Virtually everyone seeking a career either in high
level executive jobs or elective office will volunteer. GWB's service
with Project PULL tells you nothing beyond that.

Believe me when I tell you this, Mr. Rasimus, but with respect, you are
Wrong. During the election campaign of 2000, I, for one, was impressed to
learn that the son of a wealthy Texas oilman/war hero/ambassador had taken
on volunteer duty in the ghetto portion of Houston. You may recall that a
powerful element of that election was the question of Integrity. GWB's work
with PULL at a minority youth center suggested to me something more than
standard volunteerism, as his work location and the intent of the program
seemed to me to indicate a willingness to give of oneself--even if maybe at
some personal risk--something lacking, perhaps, in the other guy.
Consequently, when rumors surfaced and suggestions were persistently made
that this community service was not quite what it seemed, I became
concerned.

Our President appears to have been assigned to to ARPC (which served,

among
other things, as a disciplinary unit), out of Denver, CO. Members of the

NG
are assigned there, for among other reasons, disciplinary reasons. Could

GWB
have had dual contemporaneous assignments? O r was he doing something

else
entirely? As I understand it, ARPC-time was/is not counted by TANG toward
required duty. Hence, the separation date given by ARPC is approximately

six
months' later than that given by NGB.

Gimme a break. Every base I served on in 23 years of military tactical
aviation had a corrections facility. That doesn't mean I was
imprisoned. ARPC is primarily a PERSONNEL headquarters. It is a huge
office complex. That's its job.

ONE of its jobs, yes. Recall, however, that Discipline does not always
encompass eithere physical restraint or custody.

Problem is, for those of us who are trying to determine whether we should
continue to support the President, that for whatever reason, Lt Bush

never
took his required physical exam, scheduling conflict or otherwise
notwithstanding. The ANGs appear to have instituted drug-testing prior to
the time such was done in the active USAF.

That physical was 1972. Mandatory drug testing was instituted in '74.

Was that in the NGuards or in the active USAF? Use of banned substances can
be revealed by flight physicals.
So, when did TANG institute drug-testing?

Some have suggested that GWB's records have been redacted, since about

1973.
ARPC does serve as the repository for the paper regarding transfers to
inactive reserve status, such as GWB, for retirements, and for

disciplinary
measures; presumably, "discipline" can encompass infractions outside of

the
service as well as inside.

Some have "suggested" that drawing conclusions on what might be and
what could have happened is the exercise of spin doctors.

In any event, a clean copy of at least one redacted file (the partially torn
document) has become available; an ARF document detailing GWB's guard
activity in 1972-1973, which first entry is for October. It does not deal
with either TANG or ANG service, but with ARF. I don't recall having drawn
any conclusions or having attempted to place any sort of "spin" on any
thing.

During the Colonel's tenure in the Guard, there was a collective

sea-change
in the ambit of responsibilities and in the seriousness of its

preparation
and readiness for active service. The Colonel was perhaps lucky in being
able to stay the course and experience those changes. What some find
troublesome is that GWB suggests that his service was directly comparable

today's N-Guardsmens', which clearly it was not. (Nor apparently, was it
equivalent to the Colonel's, as the Colonel demonstrates that he took his
own role seriously and served through thick and thin). In that case, who
slanders whom? Is it appropriate for our President to wrap his service in
the same mantle as that of comtemporary, dedicated guardsmen who have

been
called to active duty, if his own service was not in most ways

comparable?

Show me someone who has survived the training environment of UPT
(where I was an instructor for 4 years), who has handled the multiple
survival courses required of an aircrew (which I am familiar with),
who has qualified in a Century Series SE/SS fighter and performed
operationally, even without combat, and they will have my respect.

No argument here. But does your respect for such a person extend to a period
of time in which no actual service appears to have been performed but for
which the principal nonetheless was paid, and during which time no clear
record of his activities emerged, for such a long time?

SNIP remainder

IMHO, President Bush should refute his critics, which he can do by
explaining convincingly about the overlapping timing of his grounding

from
aviation duties--i.e., why he faied to take his physical--, his

assignment
to APRC (discipline unit--why so?--), his community service commitment in
Houston (again, why so?--); and the six months' discontinuity between

dates
of separation from his duties listed by the NGB and the ARPC. One need

not
be a desperate left-winger to want to have clear answers. After all, our
(informed?) votes in nine months will determine whether he will have a
second term.

You seek more to distribute innuendo and suggestion than really to
seek answers.

Again, with respect, Mr Rasimus, Wrong. I have not created any of the rumors
or made up any of the suggestions that are extant. I have become aware of
them and have posted to the newsgroup with reference to them. My motivation
is that I seek answers; and as I stated in my earlier post, the President
can and should refute his critics by supplying convincing explanations. I
value my vote, inconsequential as it alone might be.

The Guard Colonel who knows what he's talking about
provided you with answers. I've just provided you with answers. Will
you believe any of them?

The Guard Colonel, just as with you, can only provide answers within the
ambit of his knowledge. Whether the answers are complete and believable is
other issues. Again, I can only reiterate that Mr Bush can clear up all
issues by providing a full accounting of his service at the time and by
refuting the rumors about his use of cocaine.

BTW, IIRC, Newsweek, during November(?) of last year, featured an article
focusing on GWB's mother, in which she expressed that she had been terribly
concerned over the allegations which had been made over her son's alleged
use of the banned substance. I had no role in that, certainly.

Old February 14th 04, 06:47 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
On 13 Feb 2004 11:44:10 -0800, (Fred the Red
Shirt) wrote:

Ed Rasimus wrote in message

. ..

..

Excuse me son, but ANG units deployed regularly to SEA throughout the
conflict. In fact, at the time that GWB entered Guard service, there
were F-102 units deployed operationally in Vietnam and Thailand.
Several F-102s were lost during the war. Other ANG units experience
combat (and losses) in other aircraft types.

I don't think anyone disputes that. But how many were there?
CNN today (feel free to correct this) said that 8,000 National
guardsmen served in Vietnam in total. How many Americans in
total served there? How many National guardsmen during that
time did NOT go to Vietnam.

I don't have a number to refute that, but I'm fairly confident that
the number of guardsmen over the ten years of conflict that served in
Vietnam would greatly exceed 8,000.

One must also make very clear distinctions between AirNG and ArmyNG.
While the Army NG became almost notorious during the conflict, the
AirNG was flying a lot of airplanes in a lot of missions and
maintaining operational readiness.

What is your beef with the ARNG side of the house? You might want to brush
up a bit regarding the record of the seven thousand plus *ARNG* troops who
deployed to Vietnam. There was one artillery unit from the KYARNG that lost
*eighteen* (IIRC) men in one day's fighting when the firebase it was
assigned to came under NVA ground attack--I'd suggest you be careful about
pointing out any such "clear distinctions" if you ever end up traveliing
through the Bluegrass State. My question to you would be, why did you feel
it was necessary to try and defame the ARNG in an effort to make the ANG
look better? IMO, both organizations accomplished the missions they were
given in that conflict.

Brooks

snip stuff I agree with

Old February 14th 04, 07:14 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

Or went to law school

Not after February 1968.

Old February 14th 04, 07:31 AM
Lawrence Dillard

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"Lawrence Dillard" wrote in message

SNIP

SNIP

Published February 11, 2004

'Bush and I were lieutenants'
George Bush and I were lieutenants and pilots in the 111th Fighter
Interceptor Squadron (FIS), Texas Air National Guard (ANG) from 1970

1971.

SNIP

Not quite; as the Colonel relates below, he "stayed the course" of the
Guard's transition, whereas GWB did not.

Uhmmm...the quote says during 1970 and 1971; I don't think anyone is
claiming GWB did not indeed serve during that period.

Agreed. The controversy has to do with GWB's activities after that time. The
Colonel carried on for ears afterward, whereas it has been alleged that GWB
did not and was nonetheless paid as if he were fulfilling his obligatiion.

It is quite frustrating to hear the daily cacophony from the left

and
Sen. John Kerry, Massachusetts Democrat, et al., about Lt. Bush

escaping
his
military responsibilities by hiding in the Texas ANG. In the Air Guard
during the Vietnam War, you were always subject to call-up, as many

Air
National Guardsmen are finding out today.

With respect, the ANGs of that time mostly bore no resemblance to

today's
ANG's, especially in terms of preparation, and in integration with

active
service components; I find it a bit disingenuous of GWB to try to link

his
service in an air-defense cadre, which was highly unlikely to be called

serve in Viet Nam, with those men and women who have served in the

Guards
in
the years since the ending of the Cold War.

Balderdash. The first four F-100 groups called up during 1968 were

certified
as combat ready before they were even activated. The three tactical recon
groups only required around a month after activation to be ready for
deployment. An additional two F-100 squadrons were subsequently called up
that same year. Other ANG units were also activated, for a total of about
eleven thousand personnel. Check out the actual history of the ANG before
you try to make such claims.

Let's try to keep to the topic, which is whether GWB fulfilled his
commitment to serve or not.

SNIP

If the 111th FIS and Lt. Bush did
not go to Vietnam, blame President Johnson and Secretary of Defense

Robert
S. McNamara, not lowly Lt. Bush. They deliberately avoided use of the

Guard
and Reserves for domestic political calculations, knowing that a

draftee
only stirred up the concerns of one family, while a call-up got a

whole
community's attention.

They were right about that, certainly.

Then one wonders why the military as a whole, and the Army in particular,
retooled after the war to make sure that no future major combat operations
would be conducted *without* such mobilization.

No need to wonder. A buck doesn't go as far as it used to. pgrading reserve
componenets and making them more fo an integral part of the active forces
simply made good fiscal sense, among other things.

The proof is in the
pudding--with a large number of reservists and guardsmen currently

mobilized
and deployed, the support for the war continues to remain pretty strong.

Agreed. Most if not all reserve components are now of high-quality. As
planned.

But furthrmore, it made sense only to
call up units likely to be able to play a role in the fighting.

Odd then that a number of units called up by both the Army and Air Force

in
1968 went to environs other than Vietnam.

Based upon their operational readiness, of course. Was TANG ever called up
during those years?

SNIP

If you check the 111th FIS records of 1970-72 and any other ANG
squadron, you will find other pilots excused for career obligations

and
conflicts. The Bush excusal in 1972 was further facilitated by a

change
in
the unit's mission, from an operational fighter squadron to a training
squadron with a new airplane, the F-101, which required that more

pilots
be
available for full-time instructor duty rather than part-time

traditional
reservists with outside employment.

GWB's being excused from service, it has been claimed, had not to do

either
with career obligations or with career conflicts. It apparently is part

and
parcel of persistent claims/rumors that GWB was arrested on a charge of
cocaine posession in his home state (during 1972); however, his "record"

on
this issue has allegedly been expunged due to the intervention of an

elected
Texas judge who owed the Bush family a favor. In any event, while GWB's
enlistment was originally intended to end on a May 26, 1974 date of
separation, (per the National Guard Bureau, Arlington, VA), in fact, his
separation was Nov. 21, 1974 (per the headquartrs, Air Reserve Personnel
Center, Denver, CO).

More innuendo, and nothing to back up any claim that he did not indeed
fulfill his duty requirements.

Not really. There must be a logical reason, for example, for the discrepancy
in official separation dates. The controversy is furthermore over the
location of and the duties performed by GWB for some time before May, 1972,
because on May 2 of that, the same day, during which GWB is said to have
reported for drill, his superiors (Ellington AFB) concluded that they could
not render a useful evaluation of GWB because they had not seen him for
several months.

SNIP

Sadly, few of today's partisan pundits know anything about the
environment of service in the Reserves in the 1970s. The image of a
reservist at that time is of one who joined, went off for six months'

basic
training, then came back and drilled weekly or monthly at home, with

two
weeks of "summer camp." With the knowledge that Mr. Johnson and Mr.

McNamara
were not going to call out the Reserves, it did become a place of

refuge
for
many wanting to avoid Vietnam.
There was one big exception to this abusive use of the Guard to

avoid
the draft, and that was for those who wanted to fly, as pilots or crew
members. Because of the training required, signing up for this duty

meant
up
to 2½ years of active duty for training alone, plus a high probability

of
mobilization. A fighter-pilot candidate selected by the Guard (such as

Lt.
Bush and me) would be spending the next two years on active duty going
through basic training (six weeks), flight training (one year),

survival
training (two weeks) and combat crew training for his aircraft (six to

nine
months), followed by local checkout (up to three more months) before

he
was
even deemed combat-ready. Because the draft was just two years, you

sure
weren't getting out of duty being an Air Guard pilot. If the unit to

which
you were going back was an F-100, you were mobilized for Vietnam.

Avoiding
service? Yeah, tell that to those guys.

What makes things look bad or GWB is that after undergoing the requisite
flight training for an air-defense mission, he opted out of flying (or

was
involuntarily grounded by Texas Air National Guard) by failing to take

the
required annual flight physical; this physical, for the first time,

included drug-testing.

Drug testing did not enter into the pale until the eighties; where are you
getting this stuff? And being as he was not with his unit (i.e., splitting
with that ALANG outfit) during the time he was scheduled to receive his
physical, it is understandable why he did not get one. Big deal.

Well, possibly yes, a Big Deal. There is still considerable confusion as to
whether GWB did actually ransfer to AlaANG and what duties he performed, as
well as an apparent timing overlap with his community service with Project
PULL in a youth center in Houston's ghetto. (That service was important to
me in deciding how to cast my vote, as it seemed to show an unusual
willingness to give personally of himself, at perhaps some personal risk, in
contrast to merely making a donation. I personally gave Mr Bush high marks
for integrity based on the nature of that service).

GWB has acknowledged that he worked with Houston-based Project
PULL during 1972, leading to suggestions that this was in fact a

"sentence"
to community service in relation to his arrest/expungement.

Ahh. More "suggestions", huh? Let's see, we have one former President who
*acknowledged* using illegal narcotics and never receiving any legal
punishment, but methinks you would excuse that rather quickly--but

innuendo
and "suggestions" suffice to condemn GWB, right? Double standard much?

You think wrongly. I have never used or condoned the use of narcotics, even
of so-called "recreational" drugs. Where did you get the mistaken impression
that I condemn Pres Bush?

The Bush critics do not comprehend the dangers of fighter aviation

at
any time or place, in Vietnam or at home, when they say other such

pilots
were risking their lives or even dying while Lt. Bush was in Texas.

Our
Texas ANG unit lost several planes right there in Houston during Lt.

Bush's
tenure, with fatalities. Just strapping on one of those obsolescing

F-102s
was risking one's life.

Unfortunately, for some twelve to eighteen months during his enlistment,

GWB
inexplicably did not fly, although he apparently had taken to military
aviation "like a duck to water" and apparently flew the F-102 with elan.

In
fact, GQB apparently missed a great many days of required military

reserve
duty during that time.

Which he made up; not unusual, as the writer of the letter, who actually
served in a similar role, indicates; and your expertise in contradicting

his
claims is based upon...?

Based upon the fragments of the (until recent days) incomplete record of
GWB's TANG, AlaANG and ARPC/ARF service. I have made no claim to any
especial "expertise".

Critics such as Mr. Kerry (who served in Vietnam, you know), Terry
McAuliffe and Michael Moore (neither of whom served anywhere) say Lt.

Bush
abandoned his assignment as a jet fighter pilot without explanation or
authorization and was AWOL from the Alabama Air Guard.
Well, as for abandoning his assignment, this is untrue. Lt. Bush

was
excused for a period to take employment in Florida for a congressman

and
later in Alabama for a Senate campaign.

Our President appears to have been assigned to to ARPC (which served,

among
other things, as a disciplinary unit), out of Denver, CO.

Disciplinary unit my butt. Where do you get these notions? I was briefly
assigned to the Army counterpart to that organization in 1988 following my
departure from active duty while I was awaiting orders assigning me to

what
became my Guard unit--was I being "disciplined"? Nope. And ge whiz, guess
what? Just like GWB, the admin buffons lost track of me--six months after

had received my orders and been drilling with my Guard unit, I got a

letter
from ARPERSCEN informing me that I had to report to the nearest USAR
facility to update my records as part of my IRR obligation, and warning me
of dire consequences if I failed to do so--so much for the infallibility

of
military duty staus tracking.

Agreed. Hence, I believe that the President can and should put an end to the
controversies by releasing all pertinent documents and letting the public
decide its feelings and beliefs on the issues.

Members of the NG
are assigned there, for among other reasons, disciplinary reasons. Could

GWB
have had dual contemporaneous assignments? O r was he doing something

else
entirely? As I understand it, ARPC-time was/is not counted by TANG

toward
required duty. Hence, the separation date given by ARPC is approximately

six
months' later than that given by NGB.

More unsupported innuendo...now it is "among other reasons", huh? Your
claims hold about as much water as those the Kerry camp has been flinging
about lately.

Thank you for your kind comments. But if you will re-read my earlier post,
you will discover that I used the qualifying phrase, where appropriate, more
than once. Pleas also recall that discipline can be accomplished without
placing one in custody or otherwise physically restraining him. The
"disciplinary" part comes into play because ARFs can be called to active
duty in the military (theoretically, at least). GWB was not in fact called
up, but the Damoclean Sword was nonetheless there.

SNIP two paragraphs

Another frequent charge is that, as a member of the Texas ANG,

Lt.
Bush
twice ignored or disobeyed lawful orders, first by refusing to report

for
required physical in the year when drug testing first became part of

the
exam, and second by failing to report for duty at the disciplinary

unit
in
Colorado to which he had been ordered. Well, here are the facts:
First, there is no instance of Lt. Bush disobeying lawful orders

in
reporting for a physical, as none would be given. Pilots are scheduled

for
their annual flight physicals in their birth month during that month's
weekend drill assembly -- the only time the clinic is open. In the

Reserves,
it is not uncommon to miss this deadline by a month or so for a

variety
of
reasons: The clinic is closed that month for special training; the
individual is out of town on civilian business; etc.
If so, the pilot is grounded temporarily until he completes the
physical. Also, the formal drug testing program was not instituted by

the
Air Force until the 1980s and is done randomly by lot, not as a

special
part
of a flight physical, when one easily could abstain from drug use

because
of
its date certain. Blood work is done, but to ensure a healthy pilot,

not
confront a drug user.

Problem is, for those of us who are trying to determine whether we

should
continue to support the President, that for whatever reason, Lt Bush

never
took his required physical exam, scheduling conflict or otherwise
notwithstanding. The ANGs appear to have instituted drug-testing prior

the time such was done in the active USAF.

Bullcrap. Provide proof that the ANG instituted drug testing in 1972. You
are the one wanting to claim the writer, a retired ANG officer, does not
know what he is talking about, so either provide some proof; something
beyond "suggestions", I might add.

I am not the person who made the suggestions or initiated the innuendo.
Please keep that fact in mind. Why don't you inquire as to whether TANG
institute drug testing in its flight physicals prior to July, 1972, the time
when GWB failed to report for his flight physical? I am willing, certainly
to accept corrrection on the matter if such is indicated.

Second, there was no such thing as a "disciplinary unit in

Colorado"
which Lt. Bush had been ordered. The Air Reserve Personnel Center in

Denver
is a repository of the paperwork for those no longer assigned to a

specific
unit, such as retirees and transferees. Mine is there now, so I guess

I'm
"being disciplined." These "disciplinary units" just don't exist. Any
discipline, if required, is handled within the local squadron, group

or
wing, administratively or judicially. Had there been such an

infraction
or
court-martial action, there would be a record and a reflection in Lt.

Bush's
performance review and personnel folder. None exists, as was confirmed

in
The Washington Post in 2000.

GWB was suspended (grounded) from flight activity in August, 1972, for
having failed to take his required examination, a suspension which was
officially recorded on September 29 of that year. He began to receive ARF
credits from October of that year. But neither drills nor attendance were
required. GWB's TANG records appear to indicate he performed no actual
duties after May, 1972. ARF "duty" is not considered as official duty by
TANG.

Some have suggested that GWB's records have been redacted, since about

1973.
ARPC does serve as the repository for the paper regarding transfers to
inactive reserve status, such as GWB, for retirements, and for

disciplinary
measures; presumably, "discipline" can encompass infractions outside of

the
service as well as inside.

Neatly sidestepped the author's refutation of your repeated "disciplinary
unit" crap, didn't you?

The Colonel did not refute anything I wrote. My post was in response to his.
Please keep that in mind.

Finally, the Kerrys, Moores and McAuliffes are casting a terrible
slander on those who served in the Guard, then and now. My Guard

career
parallels Lt. Bush's, except that I stayed on for 33 years. As a

guardsman,
I even got to serve in two campaigns. In the Cold War, the air defense

of
the United States was borne primarily by the Air National Guard, by

such
people as Lt. Bush and me and a lot of others. Six of those with whom

served in those years never made their 30th birthdays because they

died
in
crashes flying air-defense missions.

During the Colonel's tenure in the Guard, there was a collective

sea-change
in the ambit of responsibilities and in the seriousness of its

preparation
and readiness for active service.

Korea--major activations in the ANG. Berlin Crisis--major activations in

the
ANG. Vietnam--significant activations and deployment to Vietnam (and

Korea,
where things were none too nice in 1968). The facts seem to disprove your
claims.

I should have made it clear that my comments were in reply to the Colonel's
own description of TANG during the time he served alongside the future
President. Since that time, of course, there have been fundamental changes
in the readiness levels of and integration of the ANGs into the active force
structure.

snip

IMHO, President Bush should refute his critics, which he can do by
explaining convincingly about the overlapping timing of his grounding

from
aviation duties--i.e., why he faied to take his physical--, his

assignment
to APRC (discipline unit--why so?--),

There is that "discplinary unit" crap again...

Must you characterize comments with which you can't agree as "crap"? Most
undignified.

his community service commitment in
Houston (again, why so?--); and the six months' discontinuity between

dates
of separation from his duties listed by the NGB and the ARPC. One need

not
be a desperate left-winger to want to have clear answers. After all, our
(informed?) votes in nine months will determine whether he will have a
second term.

It does not appear that you are very well informed at all, based upon the
outright incorrect statements and dependence upon suggestions and innuendo
that you base your argument upon.

You are so kind. Thanks. To repeat, all I want to have is clear answers.

Old February 14th 04, 09:24 AM
Kevin Brooks

[...]

We now have a dental record that proves he was in a duty status in Alabama
during the time in question, along with a former unit member (a fellow LT)
who has vouched that he did indeed drill with the 187th; against that we
have the former commander saying he does not recall seeing him (wow, big
surprise--as if O-5's really met, or knew, some LT who showed up to perform
a few moths of ET drills with their unit...) and a lot of increasingly
shrill refusals to accept any of the above from the parties making the
accusations against Bush. Not exactly hard to see which way the *facts* are
leaning at this point.

[...]

If you want to "keep to the topic", why did you waste electrons with your
specious claims about the naturre of the ANG at the time?

[...]

You need to read up on Abrams' "Total Army" program. The foundation for that
program was that never again would the Army deploy for major operations
without having the Guard/Reserve along, not because the active component
wanted the Guard per se, but because they wanted to ensure that a widespread
spectrum of communities from across the nation identified with the effort.
And his philosophy has been proven right during both ODS/ODS and during
OEF/OIF.

The proof is in the
pudding--with a large number of reservists and guardsmen currently

mobilized
and deployed, the support for the war continues to remain pretty strong.

Agreed. Most if not all reserve components are now of high-quality. As
planned.

And what was the "quality" of those seven thousand plus ARNG troops who
deployed to Vietnam in 1968? Or those four plus tactical fighter squadrons?
Pretty darned high, using the standards of the day for our military forces,
active and reserve. I have no doubt that the quality of NG/Reserve units has
indeed improved since then--but so has that of the active components.

But furthrmore, it made sense only to
call up units likely to be able to play a role in the fighting.

Odd then that a number of units called up by both the Army and Air Force

in
1968 went to environs other than Vietnam.

Based upon their operational readiness, of course. Was TANG ever called up
during those years?

NO, not "based upon their operational readiness". In fact, two of the ANG
units that went to Korea actually *suffered* a reduction in operational
readiness, since their support elements were not deployed with them--their
aircraft OR rates went down alarmingly at one point. The defining factor in
who-went-where was mission requirements. A number of Guard units ended up in
Korea, since the Pueblo crisis had been the final reason for conducting the
mobilization in the first place, and Korea was a rather nasty flashpoint at
the time (there is a reason that 2nd ID and 7th ID troops serving along the
DMZ got to wear their combat patches--firefights were not uncommon).

[...]

As Dan Ford has shown quite capably, he did have to make up some drills to
get credit for good years--hardly anything to get wound up about, and not a
completely uncommon experience.

The controversy is furthermore over the
location of and the duties performed by GWB for some time before May,

1972,
because on May 2 of that, the same day, during which GWB is said to have
reported for drill, his superiors (Ellington AFB) concluded that they

could
not render a useful evaluation of GWB because they had not seen him for
several months.

Been there, done that. Had an officer from another state take a new job in
our state. he got permission from his chain of command to perform ET with
our unit (we were in the same division, albeit from different states). He
did so for a matter of some months, until he ended up transferring to our
state and unit. His closeout OER shows up from his old unit, and...they
indicated he had been AWOL. A phone call to the unit resulted in them
scrambling around, then getting back to us and saying, "Ooops, one of our
NCO's dropped the ball and did not process the validation certificates that
you did indeed fax to us for each month of ET." They had to cut a corrected
OER on the guy. In this case the officer was lucky in that they at least did
indeed forward him his copy of the initial OER, so that we could catch the
problem. And before you claim this was an isolated example, I myself found
that the Army had failed to credit me with about five months of IDT and a
full two weeks of AT towards my service time--luckily I was able to scramble
up enough supporting documentation to prove otherwise. To summarize, what
you are presenting here is far from being a strong case against him.

[...]

He did not transfer, he performed ET with them--big difference. And the only
people still denying that he did indeed show up for duty there are in
denial--he had to be in a duty status to get that dental exam, and the
account from his fellow LT who shared lunches with him at the 187th further
proves his presence.

as
well as an apparent timing overlap with his community service with Project
PULL in a youth center in Houston's ghetto. (That service was important to
me in deciding how to cast my vote, as it seemed to show an unusual
willingness to give personally of himself, at perhaps some personal risk,

in
contrast to merely making a donation. I personally gave Mr Bush high marks
for integrity based on the nature of that service).

What? You are condemning him because of when he did some charitable work?
Where is your *evidence*? If he was indeed doing this under the requirements
of a criminal court ruling, you should be able to dig up *something* about
that. Where is it? More smoke and mirrors...

GWB has acknowledged that he worked with Houston-based Project
PULL during 1972, leading to suggestions that this was in fact a

"sentence"
to community service in relation to his arrest/expungement.

Ahh. More "suggestions", huh? Let's see, we have one former President

who
*acknowledged* using illegal narcotics and never receiving any legal
punishment, but methinks you would excuse that rather quickly--but

innuendo
and "suggestions" suffice to condemn GWB, right? Double standard much?

You think wrongly. I have never used or condoned the use of narcotics,

even
of so-called "recreational" drugs. Where did you get the mistaken

impression
that I condemn Pres Bush?

Your comments seem to indicate that, in spite of repeated explanations from
folks who served with him, from folks in this NG who better understand the
Guard and how it operates, etc., you are still clinging to this "he did not
perform his duty in Alabama", compounded by the use of "suggestions" of
alleged drug convictions with no supporting evidence, and now are willing to
crucify the man for having the temerity of performing some civic work during
the same period of time he served in the Guard. Kind of looks like an agenda
to me.

[...]

Then you should strongly consider listening to the comments from COL
Campenni, the retired contractor from Atlanta who served with Bush in
Alabama during that time you are so worried about, and the explanations from
others more familair with the way the Guard operates.

[...]

So you agree that it was NOT a "disciplinary unit"? I'd hope so--enough
folks have pointed out that FACT. Now, thirty years later you expect the
military to be able to whisk out a pristine and complete file on some former
1LT that will answer all of the questions that both you and Mr. Kerry's
folks have? Good luck. By this point I would imagine the files on folks from
that period consist of the very minimum of data--they can't store everything
for ever, and there is no way thay can even digitize the mountains of old
paperwork they *do* still retain.

[...]

IT IS NOT A DISCIPLINARY TOOL. How many folks have to tell you that before
you get it through your skull?

[...]

Bullcrap. Your words--"The ANGs appear to have instituted drug-testing prior
to the time such was done in the active USAF." Prove it. Ed has called you
on it, I have called you on it--time to put up or shut up.

Please keep that fact in mind. Why don't you inquire as to whether TANG
institute drug testing in its flight physicals prior to July, 1972, the

time
when GWB failed to report for his flight physical? I am willing, certainly
to accept corrrection on the matter if such is indicated.

It was your ridiculous claim, not ours. You bear the burden of proof. FYI,
when it comes to things like drug testing, the reserve components *follow*,
or at best do so concurrently, the active components in instituting them,
they don't lead. Face it, drug testing was not in the cards at that time.

[...]

If it counts towards points it is plenty official, regardles of what the
TXANG thinks. And do you have any proof of that?

Some have suggested that GWB's records have been redacted, since about

1973.
ARPC does serve as the repository for the paper regarding transfers to
inactive reserve status, such as GWB, for retirements, and for

disciplinary
measures; presumably, "discipline" can encompass infractions outside

of
the
service as well as inside.

Neatly sidestepped the author's refutation of your repeated

"disciplinary
unit" crap, didn't you?

The Colonel did not refute anything I wrote. My post was in response to

his.
Please keep that in mind.

You lose. The good Colonel obviously knows a whale of a lot more about it
than you do--I'll take his word over yours in this matter.

snip

Korea--major activations in the ANG. Berlin Crisis--major activations in

the
ANG. Vietnam--significant activations and deployment to Vietnam (and

Korea,
where things were none too nice in 1968). The facts seem to disprove

your
claims.

I should have made it clear that my comments were in reply to the

Colonel's
own description of TANG during the time he served alongside the future
President. Since that time, of course, there have been fundamental changes
in the readiness levels of and integration of the ANGs into the active

force
structure.

During the good colonels time, ANG folks like him were subject to sitting
alert with nuclear armed AIM-26's and AIR-2's affixed under their aircraft.
ARNG personnel were manning the Nike Herc sites, replete with even larger
nukes, that defended CONUS. And both ARNG and ANG personnel were serving and
dying in Vietnam. Sounds like you need to go back to school in regards to
what the true face of the Guard was during that time.

snip

IMHO, President Bush should refute his critics, which he can do by
explaining convincingly about the overlapping timing of his grounding

from
aviation duties--i.e., why he faied to take his physical--, his

assignment
to APRC (discipline unit--why so?--),

There is that "discplinary unit" crap again...

Must you characterize comments with which you can't agree as "crap"? Most
undignified.

Well, it becomes a bit tedious when some clown keeps trying to classify a
services personnel center as a "disciplinary unit" in spite of repeated
corrections from folks who know one hell of a lot more about the facts than
he does.

his community service commitment in
Houston (again, why so?--); and the six months' discontinuity between

dates
of separation from his duties listed by the NGB and the ARPC. One need

not
be a desperate left-winger to want to have clear answers. After all,

our
(informed?) votes in nine months will determine whether he will have a
second term.

It does not appear that you are very well informed at all, based upon

the
outright incorrect statements and dependence upon suggestions and

innuendo
that you base your argument upon.

You are so kind. Thanks. To repeat, all I want to have is clear answers.

Why? You won't accept the ones you have been getting, so why should anyone
bother?

Brooks

Old February 14th 04, 05:01 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:47:14 -0500, "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I don't have beef with the Army Guard, but since it was a period that
I lived through and am very familiar with, I'll point out that the
Army Guard required six months of active training, followed by four
years Ready Reserve service. It was a haven for folks with low lottery
numbers or before the lottery with a high probability of selection
such as those with expiring deferments as they graduated from college.

The Army Guard accepted people even when they had received a draft
notification. The training requirements were exceptionally low and the
maintenance of accurate drill records for lower rank, unskilled
members was virtually non-existant in many units.

This is not said in any sense to demean the service of the few Army
Guard units that were activated and served with honor. And, it should
be noted, that the Army Guard and Reserve units today have a much
higher standard of readiness and a much more rigorous drill/training
schedule including a lot of activations and NTC deployments.

By contrast, the flying ANG units contained large numbers of full-time
specialists, had operational air defense responsibilities and
conducted much more frequent operations. The F-100 ANG units did a lot
of SEA deployments.

An interesting editorial in this AM's Denver Post by Bob Ewegen who
points out that if GWB were trying to "dodge the draft" his choice of
an obligation with two years of intensive training, a clear linkage to
deployed elements flying the same aircraft and a total of nearly five
years of continuous service, he made a poor choice. He could more
easily have done six months of basic in a ARNG unit and gone home.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...6%257E,00.html

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old February 14th 04, 05:26 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:07:18 -0500, "Lawrence Dillard"
wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:23:11 -0500, "Lawrence Dillard"
wrote:

Snip

The colonel remained in the Guard. That was a choice not an
obligation. GWB, was honorably released from the Guard. That was a
choice not an obligation.

The issue is not whether anyone managed an "honorable release", but whether
GWB managed to actually physically serve his complete tour, or was paid
while not performing is reserve function.

Can you read my lips. During two full years of training, GWB was FULL
TIME active duty. During the next 18 months he pulled operational
alert in the TANG. During the last six months before release, he was
assigned to Montgomery at Dannelly Field which was in the process of
conversion from RF-84s to RF-4Cs. His assignment there was to
NON-FLYING duties (he wasn't qualified in the Phantom nor trained as a
reconnaisance pilot.) The unit in transition did not have aircraft
available at the time.

Excuse me son, but ANG units deployed regularly to SEA throughout the
conflict. In fact, at the time that GWB entered Guard service, there
were F-102 units deployed operationally in Vietnam and Thailand.
Several F-102s were lost during the war. Other ANG units experience
combat (and losses) in other aircraft types.

I stand corrected to an extent, as I did not clearly enough state my
meaning. The context, however, was supplied by the Colonel, who recounted
the way things were with a specific NG, the TANG. I should have emphasized
that factor more clearly. In any event, by the time GWB finished his
type-training in the F-102, there was a greatly diminished demand for their
services with active-duty squadrons, and his service does not withstand
comparison to that to which modern-day units can often be subjected.

You have an interesting way with words. My service "does not stand
comparions to that which modern-day units can often be subjected"
either. That's a meaningless requirement. How can service in the
present be compared to the unknown of what service might be like in
the future?

There were only two aircraft types in the entire USAF that were not
operated in SEA, the F-106 and the B-58. Every other aircraft in the
inventory was "able to play a role in the fighting."

Again, by the time GWB qualified in the F-102, that a/c type was no longer
in great demand in the war zone.

So, now we are demanding prescience? How does one know when starting a
two year training program leading inevitably to qualification in a
combat aircraft that in two years the type will no longer be in great
demand in the war zone?????

By late 1970, the USAF and USN were drawing down training requirements
for aircrews significantly. Production of pilots and navs for AF was
reduced from more than 5000/year to around 3000. (I was the director
of Air Training Command undergrad flying training assignments at the
time.) Releases from service commitments in '72-'74 were common.

Was GWB released early from his service commitment? Or was he required to
make up for missing about six months' time of service, instead? I have seen
no indication that GWB requested early release from TANG.

Read today's newspaper.

The USN training program at Pensacola in late '71 had a blood-letting
in which 400 trainees were released from pilot training, some of them
within two weeks of graduation and receipt of their wings.

I can see no connection between that state of affairs and the issue at hand:
whether GWB actually properly fulfilled his service commitment and was
legally paid for doing so, or not, that is, was GFWB a "ghost payroller" who
performed no duties yet was credited therefore and still got paid to boot.

The pay records indicate his whereabouts throughout his service. The
relevance of my statement is that during the period from 1970 to 1975,
from the start of "Vietnamization" the requirement for pilots was
drastically reduced. Had GWB wanted out of his commitment, he could
have had it for the asking at any time.

First, note that UPT takes more than a year. Survival, operational
training and unit check takes another year. During that entire time,
you are on full time active duty and every time you kick the tires and
light the fire in a single-engine, single-seat Century Series jet, it
can kill you--all by itself without help from an enemy.

The Colonel made the above perfectly clear. I join those who applaud the
intrepid GWB for completing his training. However, again, that is not the
issue. GWB failed to complete a required flight physical (July, 1972) after
going operational on the F-102, for which he was suspended and grounded from
TANG aviating (August, 1972). His records from TSNG show no actual duty
after May,m 1972. (Mastrer Personnel Record, Form 712).

His flight physical omission was at the time of his reassignment to
Montgomery where he was not going to be on active flying duty.

It is a matter of
record that GWB was assigned to ARF (ARPC, Denver, Co) (October, 1972),
where Guard members are sent, for (as I stated in my earlier post) among
other things, disciplinary reasons.

Please recognize the ARPC is neither a correctional facility or a
disciplinary barracks. If sent for discipline, there would be evidence
of either court-martial proceedings or non-judicial punishment
(Article 15). Neither of these have been revealed.

Neither drills nor attendance were
required, however. GWB accumulated only ARF points during the time in
question. As far as I know, ARF duty is not counted by TANG as "official
duty" with TANG. So it appears that GWB did serve faithfully for three years
(approx), then less than 30 days during a fourth year, and apparently no
service (ARF duties not being counted by TANG) during the last two years of
his commitment.

Duty is duty. You are either on duty or you are not. If the ARPC
posting was a duty assignment, then the time would count with TANG.
Confess now, you're really making this up aren't you?

[...]

I am wrong in my statement? Reread it (or have a friend read it to
you). You agree with me in your response, until you get to the last
sentence, which indicates that you place great credence in "rumor" and
"suggestions were persistently made" (don't you just love the
non-attibution of passive voice??) Now you are "concerned"? Now you
are the rumor monger and suggester!

Gimme a break. Every base I served on in 23 years of military tactical
aviation had a corrections facility. That doesn't mean I was
imprisoned. ARPC is primarily a PERSONNEL headquarters. It is a huge
office complex. That's its job.

ONE of its jobs, yes. Recall, however, that Discipline does not always
encompass eithere physical restraint or custody.

It can also encompass reduction in rank or loss of pay. None of this
is supported by any credible evidence.

That physical was 1972. Mandatory drug testing was instituted in '74.

Was that in the NGuards or in the active USAF? Use of banned substances can
be revealed by flight physicals.
So, when did TANG institute drug-testing?

I wasn't in TANG, but the requirements for a flight phyical are the
same across components. I was on flight status from July '64 through
June '87. During those 23 years, I was never tested during a flight
physical for banned substances. Drug testing was done separately and
handled independently. The first drug testing I can recall was 1974,
but it was not done in a flight physical.

The annual physical is scheduled, drug testing was random and "no
notice." The state of drug test discrimination at that time would make
it no problem to "clean up" 72 hours before the scheduled physical
making it virtually useless.

You seek more to distribute innuendo and suggestion than really to
seek answers.

Again, with respect, Mr Rasimus, Wrong. I have not created any of the rumors
or made up any of the suggestions that are extant. I have become aware of
them and have posted to the newsgroup with reference to them. My motivation
is that I seek answers; and as I stated in my earlier post, the President
can and should refute his critics by supplying convincing explanations. I
value my vote, inconsequential as it alone might be.

You do not apparently sincerely seek answers because you refuse
adamantly to acknowledge when you are corrected either by someone with
experience or first-hand knowledge or simply with regard to the logic
of your rhetoric and subscription to rumor and suggestion.

The Guard Colonel who knows what he's talking about
provided you with answers. I've just provided you with answers. Will
you believe any of them?

The Guard Colonel, just as with you, can only provide answers within the
ambit of his knowledge. Whether the answers are complete and believable is
other issues. Again, I can only reiterate that Mr Bush can clear up all
issues by providing a full accounting of his service at the time and by
refuting the rumors about his use of cocaine.

See today's newspaper for full service records. Then, since the Guard
Colonel and I have both served for more than 20 years each as rated AF
pilots in tactical aircraft type, the (g)ambit of our knowledge
certainly covers the issue in question.

Let me ask about your background and ability to credibly refute our
experience. Where and when did you serve? Guard or active duty? Rated
or non-rated? Type aircraft qualified? Familiarity with out of career
field postings? Educational level? Political experience? Affiliations?

Nah, you won't go there will you?

BTW, IIRC, Newsweek, during November(?) of last year, featured an article
focusing on GWB's mother, in which she expressed that she had been terribly
concerned over the allegations which had been made over her son's alleged
use of the banned substance. I had no role in that, certainly.

So, mom says she is concerned when the media, political opponents,
etc, make allegations (please look up the definition of "allegation")
about drug use. My mom would be concerned as well. So would yours.
What's the down side of that report? It seems normal and natural. It
also doesn't indicate that there was any truth to the allegations.

Old February 14th 04, 05:52 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:47:14 -0500, "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

First, if you check your facts I think you will find that the obligation was
for a total of six years, active duty and RR combined. Second, that "haven"
provided more personnel to Vietnam than the ANG, and a whale of a lot of AC
Vietnam vets returned to serve in that "haven" as well.

The Army Guard accepted people even when they had received a draft
notification.

I believe the other services did as well.

The training requirements were exceptionally low and the
maintenance of accurate drill records for lower rank, unskilled
members was virtually non-existant in many units.

Really? And this compared to the record keeping in the ANG exactly how...?

This is not said in any sense to demean the service of the few Army
Guard units that were activated and served with honor.

Gee, I guess they just chose the "honorable ones" huh? The others lacking in
that quality, by your description?

And, it should
be noted, that the Army Guard and Reserve units today have a much
higher standard of readiness and a much more rigorous drill/training
schedule including a lot of activations and NTC deployments.

Yeah, and none of them got activated for Korea, Berlin, etc., either, right?

By contrast, the flying ANG units contained large numbers of full-time
specialists,

Ahh! The old, "you gotta be full time to be a real specialist" or to have a
good unit bit, huh? Ed, I have service time in the active component, the
reserve components as a part-timer, and one reserve component as a
full-timer, and from where I sit your argument does not carry much water.

had operational air defense responsibilities and
conducted much more frequent operations. The F-100 ANG units did a lot
of SEA deployments.

Ever heard of Nike Hercules? care to guess who was running most of that
system at the same time you claim the ARNG was just not up to the exalted
level of the ANG?

An interesting editorial in this AM's Denver Post by Bob Ewegen who
points out that if GWB were trying to "dodge the draft" his choice of
an obligation with two years of intensive training, a clear linkage to
deployed elements flying the same aircraft and a total of nearly five
years of continuous service, he made a poor choice. He could more
easily have done six months of basic in a ARNG unit and gone home.

So now you are claiming that the amount of active duty training is related
to ones level of honorable service? Gee, what about all of those *enlisted*
ANG troops who went to basic and AFOS school and then went back home?

You were doing pretty good in these arguments...right up until you had to
bite into the old, "Well, the ANG is of course oh-so-much more professional,
and of course occupied by more dedicated and honorable men, than the ARNG"
crap.

Brooks