Amodel Antonov An-22

Old March 11th 04, 01:58 AM
rnf2

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:33:54 GMT, "Gord Beaman" )
wrote:

"gary pearson" wrote:

I've flown on this aircraft a few times and I think it is fair to say it is
one of the most uncomfortable and noisiest aircraft I have ever flown on. My
last flight on an AN22 was in 1996 and I swore never to get on it again.
Nice model, horrible aircraft in reality.

Something like the situation with the Lancaster then. People
praise it and get all mushy and romantic about it when in reality
it's an awful aircraft, Dangerous as hell too. Killed a lot of
friends and acquaintances of mine.

Hmm... A great uncle of mine died as navigator/gunner in a Lancaster
in '44... I don't think it was the lancaster that was at fault tho...
Personally I reckon it was the german on their tail
Old March 11th 04, 05:40 AM

wrote:

"gary pearson" wrote:

I've flown on this aircraft a few times and I think it is fair to say it is
one of the most uncomfortable and noisiest aircraft I have ever flown on. My
last flight on an AN22 was in 1996 and I swore never to get on it again.
Nice model, horrible aircraft in reality.

Something like the situation with the Lancaster then. People
praise it and get all mushy and romantic about it when in reality
it's an awful aircraft, Dangerous as hell too. Killed a lot of
friends and acquaintances of mine.

Hmm... A great uncle of mine died as navigator/gunner in a Lancaster
in '44... I don't think it was the lancaster that was at fault tho...
Personally I reckon it was the german on their tail

Sorry about your great uncle there, and it's likely true as you
say but the a/c is inherently quite dangerous also. Poor aileron
control, poor placement of the main landing gear, too soft MLG
struts, poor brakes, poor dead engine detection possibilities,
etc.
--

-Gord.
Old March 12th 04, 05:06 AM
Rob Grinberg

Gord,
So it was kinda like *most* WW2 military aircraft, then. And most modern
ones. And ALL WW1 a/c. And most of the armour that's been built over the
years (stick your head inside a tank sometime). And most soft-skin vehicles
(have a look at the seating in most military transport trucks in service,
even now). And ships and subs. It amazes me that more of the men in
military service weren't injured or killed by the machines they used, BEFORE
they got into combat and faced the enemy. Military equipment is made to do
a job, not to look good.

We won't even go into the pros and cons of the Lancaster. Suffice to say
that by the end of the war, it was carrying twice its original designed
bomb-load and doing it well enough for it to still be effective in its
assigned tasks.

People go all mushy over old things, especially if those things were part of
their formative years. WW2 was a BIG event in the lives of those who took
part and it happened to them in their youth, when they were becoming the
people we know as our parents and grandparents. I know I have a soft spot
for Matchbox models, even though they're mostly poor kits, but they remind
me of a time that was a lot simpler. So it is with the Lancaster - it's a
symbol of pride and determination to most, not just an aircraft . And most
pilots loved it.

RobG

Old March 12th 04, 07:41 AM
Krztalizer

Military equipment is made to do
a job, not to look good.

Then explain the Mosquito!
Old March 12th 04, 09:07 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Krztalizer" wrote in message
Military equipment is made to do
a job, not to look good.

Then explain the Mosquito!

or the Spitfire !

Keith

Old March 12th 04, 11:19 AM
Jim Doyle

"Krztalizer" wrote in message
Military equipment is made to do
a job, not to look good.

Then explain the Mosquito!

I guess when you're doing below-rooftop height down some European street,
you've got to look the business! - or you may as well be farting around at a
much higher alt.

Those invasion go-faster-stripes added streetwise style - just ask the boy
racers in their Novas!

Old March 12th 04, 02:30 PM
Stephen Harding

Keith Willshaw wrote:

"Krztalizer" wrote in message

Military equipment is made to do
a job, not to look good.

Then explain the Mosquito!

or the Spitfire !

Or the Brewster Buffalo...

Ooops! Wrong thread!

SMH

Old March 12th 04, 07:04 PM
Krztalizer

Then explain the Mosquito!

or the Spitfire !

My immediate second thought, Keith...

Old March 12th 04, 07:21 PM
Giles Ayling

"Jim Doyle" wrote in message

"Krztalizer" wrote in message
Military equipment is made to do
a job, not to look good.

Then explain the Mosquito!

I guess when you're doing below-rooftop height down some European street,
you've got to look the business! - or you may as well be farting around at

much higher alt.

Those invasion go-faster-stripes added streetwise style - just ask the boy
racers in their Novas!

To me, you cant beat the beauty of the Hawker Hunter

I see a couple (non flying) everyday, and they still look great

---

Old March 13th 04, 07:29 AM
John

"Giles Ayling" wrote in message

"Jim Doyle" wrote in message

"Krztalizer" wrote in message
Military equipment is made to do
a job, not to look good.

Then explain the Mosquito!

I guess when you're doing below-rooftop height down some European

street,
you've got to look the business! - or you may as well be farting around

at
much higher alt.

Those invasion go-faster-stripes added streetwise style - just ask the

boy
racers in their Novas!

To me, you cant beat the beauty of the Hawker Hunter

I see a couple (non flying) everyday, and they still look great

Probably the most beautiful jet ever built. It's so Freudian...looks like
sex and death!

John

---