Grob 104 Main Wheel Brake Cable Repair ..

Old July 26th 20, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Grob 104 Main Wheel Brake Cable Repair ..

Landing after a nice cross country, I had fortunately come nearly to a complete stop when the brake cable yielded at the brake handle. The wheel brake has never been one to stand the glider on its nose, but perhaps I was subconsciously attempting to do that .. ?

Upon brake cable I nspection, it seems the small knob at the head of the cable (handle) was soldered or sweat to the end of the cable (there is evidence of solder on the cable tip), and this connection finally yielded. The entire cable is in perfect order aside from the knob detaching. The outer cable housing stop is part of the stick (through the which the cable must pass), so cable installation must be accomplished prior to the knob being fastened / soldered / sweat onto the end of the cable. As a younger lad, I would have attempted a repair by now, but it's usually better to consult with others who may have done this in the past ..

Have any of the Grob 104 owners ever (or otherwise had someone else) accomplish this repair and is willing to share methods / procedures ..?

Thanks!

Rob "Boomer" Brandt
Old July 26th 20, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Usually the other end of the cable, at the wheel/brake is just bare
cable with no end devices.Â* You can replace the cable from the cockpit.Â*
Simply determine the length and diameter of the inner cable and pick up
a new one at the local bicycle or motorcycle shop (depending on how
thick the cable is).Â* Run the cable from the stick down through the
outer portion and, when it exits at the wheel, hook it up and adjust.

--
Dan, 5J

Old July 26th 20, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]

I found Venhill USA to be an excellent source for motorcycle cable products.
Large selection of ends, thimbles, housings, etc.
If you can use motorcycle caliber cables, I had great success with their products.
FWIW,
Scott
Old July 26th 20, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 8:06:06 AM UTC-7, Scott Williams wrote:
I found Venhill USA to be an excellent source for motorcycle cable products.
Large selection of ends, thimbles, housings, etc.
If you can use motorcycle caliber cables, I had great success with their products.
FWIW,
Scott

Gentlemen,

My better instincts were telling me that a simple re-solder / sweat of the end would not be sufficient given the force applied to the cable through that connection ..

Believe it or not, the wheel end of the cable is swedged, so it would appear that this swedge was accomplished by the previous owner and not at the factory .. I'll head to a bike shop for a new cable .. a fellow soaring club mechanic has a swedging device to reaccomplish the wheel end ..

Many thanks for your advice!

Boomer

Northrop YC-125 Raider pics 2 [7/7] - The Northrop YC-125B of the National Museum of the United States Air Force. Note the additional main wheel added to the inboard side of each main gear strut..jpg (1/1) Miloch Aviation Photos 0 December 16th 19 03:26 PM
grob main wheel and brake disk Scott Williams Soaring 17 May 9th 19 06:42 PM
LS-1f Wheel Brake Cable Routing [email protected] Soaring 5 May 28th 16 01:38 AM
Wheel brake cable? Movses Soaring 7 March 15th 15 01:53 PM
Pilatus B-4 Wheel Brake Cable thermalrider Soaring 2 January 29th 06 12:12 AM