A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Grob 104 Main Wheel Brake Cable Repair ..

Old July 26th 20, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Grob 104 Main Wheel Brake Cable Repair ..

Landing after a nice cross country, I had fortunately come nearly to a complete stop when the brake cable yielded at the brake handle. The wheel brake has never been one to stand the glider on its nose, but perhaps I was subconsciously attempting to do that .. ?

Upon brake cable I nspection, it seems the small knob at the head of the cable (handle) was soldered or sweat to the end of the cable (there is evidence of solder on the cable tip), and this connection finally yielded. The entire cable is in perfect order aside from the knob detaching. The outer cable housing stop is part of the stick (through the which the cable must pass), so cable installation must be accomplished prior to the knob being fastened / soldered / sweat onto the end of the cable. As a younger lad, I would have attempted a repair by now, but it's usually better to consult with others who may have done this in the past ..

Have any of the Grob 104 owners ever (or otherwise had someone else) accomplish this repair and is willing to share methods / procedures ..?

Thanks!

Rob "Boomer" Brandt
Old July 26th 20, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Usually the other end of the cable, at the wheel/brake is just bare
cable with no end devices.Â* You can replace the cable from the cockpit.Â*
Simply determine the length and diameter of the inner cable and pick up
a new one at the local bicycle or motorcycle shop (depending on how
thick the cable is).Â* Run the cable from the stick down through the
outer portion and, when it exits at the wheel, hook it up and adjust.

On 7/26/2020 7:22 AM, wrote:
Landing after a nice cross country, I had fortunately come nearly to a complete stop when the brake cable yielded at the brake handle. The wheel brake has never been one to stand the glider on its nose, but perhaps I was subconsciously attempting to do that .. ?

Upon brake cable I nspection, it seems the small knob at the head of the cable (handle) was soldered or sweat to the end of the cable (there is evidence of solder on the cable tip), and this connection finally yielded. The entire cable is in perfect order aside from the knob detaching. The outer cable housing stop is part of the stick (through the which the cable must pass), so cable installation must be accomplished prior to the knob being fastened / soldered / sweat onto the end of the cable. As a younger lad, I would have attempted a repair by now, but it's usually better to consult with others who may have done this in the past ..

Have any of the Grob 104 owners ever (or otherwise had someone else) accomplish this repair and is willing to share methods / procedures ..?

Thanks!

Rob "Boomer" Brandt

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 26th 20, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Dan's right - just thread a new cable into the old jacket. Unless you are very careful and know exactly what you're doing, attempting to solder a stop onto the cable end will likely result in a hard spot in the cable that will cause it to fatigue and fail in short order.

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 9:29:01 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Usually the other end of the cable, at the wheel/brake is just bare
cable with no end devices.Â* You can replace the cable from the cockpit.Â*
Simply determine the length and diameter of the inner cable and pick up
a new one at the local bicycle or motorcycle shop (depending on how
thick the cable is).Â* Run the cable from the stick down through the
outer portion and, when it exits at the wheel, hook it up and adjust.

On 7/26/2020 7:22 AM, wrote:

Thanks!

Rob "Boomer" Brandt

--
Dan, 5J

Old July 26th 20, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]
external usenet poster

I found Venhill USA to be an excellent source for motorcycle cable products.
Large selection of ends, thimbles, housings, etc.
If you can use motorcycle caliber cables, I had great success with their products.
FWIW,
Scott
Old July 26th 20, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 8:06:06 AM UTC-7, Scott Williams wrote:
I found Venhill USA to be an excellent source for motorcycle cable products.
Large selection of ends, thimbles, housings, etc.
If you can use motorcycle caliber cables, I had great success with their products.
FWIW,
Scott

Gentlemen,

My better instincts were telling me that a simple re-solder / sweat of the end would not be sufficient given the force applied to the cable through that connection ..

Believe it or not, the wheel end of the cable is swedged, so it would appear that this swedge was accomplished by the previous owner and not at the factory .. I'll head to a bike shop for a new cable .. a fellow soaring club mechanic has a swedging device to reaccomplish the wheel end ..

Many thanks for your advice!

Boomer