Strobe light on glider

Old January 26th 17, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Whitehead

Default Strobe light on glider

If you want to have strobe lights when you wish to fire them up (situation or Flarm warnings) then it might be worth considering a relatively low tech option with a controller and some "bullet" LED's. I have purchased a kit (controller and three bullet LED's) but have not yet fitted them, so no "review" yet. Have a look at the link..
crazedpilot.com/led-lighting/
Pete

Old January 26th 17, 07:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

A case study of what is possible... Guy Westgate's Glider LED installation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XXfLcN9r3U
Old January 26th 17, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Almost on topic: a quote from John Good's report from WGC2017:

"One notable quirk is a requirement for flashing yellow lights on all vehicles that drive onto the airfield. This curious rule comes not from the contest organization, the gliding club, or the Australia aviation authorities, but rather from the local town government. In the (dangerously) bright Victoria sunlight, a flashing yellow light improves vehicle visibility by a distance measured in centimeters (in some cases you have to look closely to determine that the light is indeed on)."
Old February 27th 19, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, 24 January 2017 19:12:54 UTC+1, Paul Agnew wrote:
I remember watching a documentary on WWII camouflage techniques and am reminded of one counter-intuitive technique that actually used bright lights in daylight to make equipment on the horizon visually disappear. I often ponder the true effectiveness of running with lights on in small powered planes during the day and whether there have been any studies to support the validity of this practice.

Now, you've got me wondering about the effectiveness of bright strobe strips during daylight flights.

Hmmm...

Paul A.
Treasure Coast Soaring Club
Vero Beach, FL

My guess is that strobe helps to see a glider under the cloud base. Also helps during sunset.
Old February 27th 19, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 12:22:34 AM UTC-5, Dan Malone wrote:
On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 8:58:52 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
A while ago several people remarked that Schleicher gliders offer a strobe was an option.

Below is an URL to a youtube video of such strobe. Typically the strobe is coupled with an unit from LxNav that allow the strobe to be on, only flash with Flarm warning, or off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMdGXX11Bs4

Thanks Jonathan for posting this. I have tried to find a simple LED strobe that I could attach to the glider that would use self-contained battery power. perhaps one on the bottom of fuselage and another behind the canopy. I have done a bit of searching on the web trying to find something - but haven't seen anything yet. If anyone is aware of such an device - would appreciate the info.

In 2017 I designed and installed an LED white strobe driven by
a 10 amp power mosfet,sourced from a 12v 1 ah battery plus super
caps, 2x 5v to give an 18v low impedance power source.
A back to back pair of Chinese 10W white LED s on top of the hor. stab.
The 200msec pulse of 4A 1pps, flash is visible in gloomy
conditions at 400 m. The power stack is recharged by a 12v to 18v
up converter supplied from the glider main bat.
No idea if anyone was alerted.

John F
I have no

Proairsport. New ultra light glider/airplane GR8 Soaring 26 June 5th 15 06:06 AM
Light Sport pilot glider (add on) [email protected] Soaring 12 April 20th 11 12:20 AM
Woodstock Light Glider Fly-By Video Link Gary Osoba Soaring 2 September 4th 09 02:47 PM
Strobe light usage Roger Long Piloting 4 August 7th 04 04:21 PM
Ultra light Glider regulations Denis G Soaring 5 May 24th 04 06:19 PM