Waxing and polishing

Old March 4th 19, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Smith

Default Waxing and polishing

At 12:41 04 March 2019, Charlie M. UH & 002 owner/pilot wrote:
In a round about way, people are saying, "yes it's worth waxing your
sailplane". They do this by stating what they use to do it.

It really is worth waxing your sailplane (and trailer). Helps to keep out
the UV. I soft wax was mine 3 times each year. Not keen on hard waxing.
Mike

Old March 4th 19, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

wrote:
In a round about way, people are saying, "yes it's worth

waxing your
sailplane". They do this by stating what they use to do it.

It really is worth waxing your sailplane (and trailer). Helps to

keep ou
the UV. I soft wax was mine 3 times each year. Not keen on

hard waxing
Mike

If I am grid squatting just hanging around waiting for the
launches to start the fall back position is to get a cloth and bottle
of mer and polish the wings.It can't hurt ,might improve the
performance, and you can think about the coming task while your
hands do the work.

Old March 5th 19, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Going a bit off topic here, not really looking for materials or products, just want to know, is it worth it to wax and polish the glider? For example, keeping it in great condition, smooth and shiny?

It all depends, does resale value mean anything to you?

Old March 5th 19, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 11:08:48 AM UTC-8, Martin Gregorie wrote:

...silicone...

Ahh, it's NFBSK'n springtime on RAS!

--Bob K.

Old March 5th 19, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JB Gunner

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 10:15:22 PM UTC-6, David Lessnick 51P wrote:
I have not used any hard wax product for years on any of my vehicles (cars, planes, sailplanes etc).

I've been SUPER happy with JetShine from PERMANON. It's a bit expensive but takes almost ZERO effort to apply. The activating bonding ingredient is water and one just simply sprays it on a clean surface then wipes off the excess. It is "nano-technology" and protects the surface beautifully while protecting it from UV. After using this stuff for almost 10 years, I'd be hard pressed to ever go back to hard wax and buffing wheels!

https://jetshineusa.com

which product from their line do you use?
Old March 5th 19, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Going a bit off topic here, not really looking for materials or products, just want to know, is it worth it to wax and polish the glider? For example, keeping it in great condition, smooth and shiny?

Senna:
I have had good luck with the finish on all of my gliders. I have always done the entire glider surface twice each year (with Carnuba wax) being especially careful to apply a good coat of wax at the areas where I use tape. The Schleicher Flight Manual states : "It is recommended that appropriate areas should be thoroughly waxed beforehand so that the adhesive tape can afterwards be cleanly removed without lifting the paint finish."
It is easiest to apply wax to underside of the wings when they are stored in the trailer with the fuselage removed.
ROY
Old March 5th 19, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It is easiest to apply wax to underside of the wings when they are stored in the trailer with the fuselage removed.
ROY

No, it is easiest to apply wax to the underside of the wings when they are upside down on sawhorses in a heated hangar. Same for the bottom of the fuselage. Try it!

Old March 5th 19, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Not to derail the discussion, had there been any examples of using the new ceramic finishes on gel coat?
Old September 17th 19, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Waxing and polishing - Polisher?

Dredging up an older thread on polishing.

My question is *NOT* about the polish to use but what *POLISHER* to use. There seems to be three-ish choices;

1) Using sweat and hands (of you or others) - $0
2) Using an electric single head polisher - $50 (no name) up to $200 (name brand Dewalt, Wen, etc)
3) Using an electric dual head (random orbital) polisher - $100 (no name brand) up to $400 (Cyclo brand variable speed)

Your thoughts? Speed to use?

Thanks, John "Thinking Spring" OHM Ω
Old September 17th 19, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

lol, Im sure people will chime in but I use the cheapest variable speed single head polisher I can find: IE a harbor frieght pos! The key is to make sure when getting close to anything you may "catch" with the pad is to go slow and always away from the edge. That includes seals flap/ aileron junctions, mylar ect. It definetly takes alittle practice and vigilance, heavy on the vigilance Good luck

Buffer for Waxing & Polishing Mike the Strike Soaring 13 February 17th 13 10:29 PM
Waxing Poetic On Flying Jay Beckman Piloting 4 October 30th 06 06:17 PM
Sanding or Waxing - PIK 20 Question culverflyer Soaring 22 September 22nd 05 09:01 PM
Polishing & Waxing Go Soaring 8 March 24th 05 03:15 PM
Wing Waxing Marske Flying Wings Soaring 2 September 10th 03 02:59 AM