scattering ashes from SGS 2-33

Old May 7th 10, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
thing73

Default scattering ashes from SGS 2-33

We have a request from a family member to scatter ashes from a
recently deceased member. I know this type of operation can be
problematic if not performed correctly. Any ideas about using the
back window of a SGS 2-33???
Old May 7th 10, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

I wasn't involved myself but we did just that at the Albuquerque
Soaring Club with our 2-33 and the ashes of Al Santilli. Contact our
president Bob Hudson, he'll be able to fill you in on the details:
http://abqsoaring.org/contacts.php

Markus Graeber

Old May 7th 10, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 7, 7:51*am, thing73 wrote:
We have a request from a family member to scatter ashes from a
recently deceased member. I know this type of operation can be
problematic if not performed correctly. *Any ideas about using the
back window of a SGS 2-33???

Hold container as far behind window as can be reached, and away about
a foot or so.
Don't even think about the door!
UH
Old May 7th 10, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I've never done this but have read a lot of accounts of people
scattering ashes in airplanes. Some of them end well and others end
with a lot of ashes in the cockpit and somebodies remains getting
pulled into the vacuum cleaner.

One thing i've heard is to trail a long hose out the window, and then
insert the hose into the bag of ashes. the airflow over the trailing
hose causes a suction which pulls the ashes out of the bag.

You just really want to avoid letting them go too close to the opening
in the fuselage so that they get sucked back inside, like Hank said.
Old May 7th 10, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On May 7, 7:45*am, Tony wrote:
I've never done this but have read a lot of accounts of people
scattering ashes in airplanes. Some of them end well and others end
with a lot of ashes in the cockpit and somebodies remains getting
pulled into the vacuum cleaner.

One thing i've heard is to trail a long hose out the window, and then
insert the hose into the bag of ashes. *the airflow over the trailing
hose causes a suction which pulls the ashes out of the bag.

You just really want to avoid letting them go too close to the opening
in the fuselage so that they get sucked back inside, like Hank said.

Also a test flight to prove out your contraption is helpful. You don't
want to end up with a plane full of ashes as Tony mentioned.

Pete
Old May 7th 10, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PK

On May 7, 4:51*am, thing73 wrote:
We have a request from a family member to scatter ashes from a
recently deceased member. I know this type of operation can be
problematic if not performed correctly. *Any ideas about using the
back window of a SGS 2-33???

I have performed this honor for a good friend of mine a few years ago.
But we did this from a Blanik L13 with the help of his widow.I am sure
this could be done similarly with a 2-33.
I found a cardboard tube, about 3" diameter, 18" long. Plugged the
front end. Filled it with the remains than plugged the rear end with a
string attached to the back lid, secured with a washer. We than hung
this contraption to the side of the fusalage at a 45 degree angle
down, attached to the canopy hinge (string again) and taping it
secure to the side of the fusalage.
The string got fed through the went and once airborne, she pulled the
string, opening the lid and the remains went down and out. When we
landed, there were a little bit left in the tube.
If I had to do it again,I would also have the front lid removable, so
all could just blow out. 6PK
Old May 7th 10, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ralph Jones[_2_]

On Fri, 7 May 2010 04:51:41 -0700 (PDT), thing73
wrote:

We have a request from a family member to scatter ashes from a
recently deceased member. I know this type of operation can be
problematic if not performed correctly. Any ideas about using the
back window of a SGS 2-33???

Number one caution: No matter what method you select, try it out in
private with ashes from your grill! This operation is VERY easy to
screw up, and emotionally painful to the family if it blows up on
you.

Grill ashes will be somewhat less forgiving of error than human
cremains will. If you look at the aircraft after the test, and you
can't tell it just did an ash drop, you're good to go.

rj
Old May 8th 10, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Newill

wrote:

We have a request from a family member to scatter ashes from a
recently deceased member. I know this type of operation can be
problematic if not performed correctly. *Any ideas about using the
back window of a SGS 2-33???

Number one caution: No matter what method you select, try it out in
private with ashes from your grill! This operation is VERY easy to
screw up, and emotionally painful to the family *if it blows up on
you.

Grill ashes will be somewhat less forgiving of error than human
cremains will. If you look at the aircraft after the test, and you
can't tell it just did an ash drop, you're good to go.

rj

I agree - was personally involved in one of these - small paper bag of
ashes on a string out the back window of the 2-33. A quick jerk on the
string was supposed to rip the bag open - result was a puff of ash -
ashes in the cockpit and a grimy grey streak down the side of an
orange plane - we landed, saw the mess and made sure the photos of
pilots and relatives were on the clean side of the plane!

PRACTICE FIRST! ( Then tell us how it went so we can put it into our
clubs operations books for that once in five years call to do the
same!)
Old May 8th 10, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn[_3_]

"Dave Newill" wrote in message
result was a puff of ash -
ashes in the cockpit and a grimy grey streak down the side of an
orange plane - we landed, saw the mess and made sure the photos of
pilots and relatives were on the clean side of the plane!

PRACTICE FIRST! ( Then tell us how it went so we can put it into our
clubs operations books for that once in five years call to do the
same!)

I have done this three times, but never from a glider. A slip keeps the ashes
away from the side of the plane and seems to create a bit of a vacuum that sucks
the ashes away from you. I have always managed without any special rigs. I
just trickle the ashes out the window from the plastic bag they came in. Keep
the family as far from the operation as possible. If necessary, gently explain
to them why. There are just too many things that can go wrong. I present them
with a sectional chart with the time and place marked. There will be a little
metal ID tag either in with the ashes, or perhaps on the bag tie. Save it for
the family.

Vaughn

Old May 8th 10, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On May 7, 4:51*am, thing73 wrote:
We have a request from a family member to scatter ashes from a
recently deceased member. I know this type of operation can be
problematic if not performed correctly. *Any ideas about using the
back window of a SGS 2-33???

Maybe the first thing to ask is whether they wish all of the remains
to be dropped from the 2-33. When a local club member was killed in a
glider accident, several of his fellow racing pilots were each given a
small container (35mm film can) to take on a cross country flight.
Each pilot enjoyed the flight and said good bye in his own way before
starting final glide home.

It may be a lot easier to drop a token sample.

Andy