Dittel Dynamic Mic wiring

Old February 5th 15, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Mueller

Default Dittel Dynamic Mic wiring

Hello all, I have a dittel FSG-60M Radio in my glider. It has a mic plug
with a telex IR Electric headset. The headset is inconvenient and I got a
Dynamic Mic from Wings and wheels. The glider was hard wired with a
PTT and a separate speaker. I have removed the plug on the end of the
mic and I wish to hard wire the mic. A brown,white wire with a ground
are in the mic line. I do not have a wiring diagram for the mic. I looked
at the FSG-60M installation instructions was trying to figure out if an
amplifier is needed to run the new set up. W&W was not very helpful
and I could use some expertise as I thought it would be rather simple
to replace the mic. The radio is set up for a dynamic mic already. It is
inscribed on the outer case. I do not believe it was ever changed from
the previous owner. Anybody with experience with this set up? Thanks,
Doug

Old February 5th 15, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Write it up in the logbook then call maintenance!
ðŸ˜
Old February 5th 15, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

NICK'S ELECTRONICS & AVIONICS
Nick Popovski
13370 SW 131 St. Unit #113
Miami, FL 33186
305-278-3831
305-383-1446

This guy may be able to help
He rebuilt my Dittel at a fair price
Old February 5th 15, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Look at the plug end and figure out the colors from there (use a VOM or some other electrical tester to figure out which wire is connected to where). There are three conductors on a microphone plug, starting at the end (tip):

tip - push-to-talk contact
ring - microphone audio signal
sleeve - common for both PTT and microphone audio

PTT is implemented as a switch between tip and sleeve conductors, if the switch is closed, the mic is keyed. PTT on the stick is usually wired in parallel with the jack circuit, however, a microphone may not work unless you use the built-in key, as the microphone key switch often also opens/closes the microphone audio signal, so multiple microphones can be used on the same circuit. But, why would you want to hard wire a microphone at all? I'm installing a boom microphone in our newly acquired Std Cirrus (all such installation work will be inspected and signed off by an A&P, for those who like to kvetch), rather than muck with the existing wiring, I just added a Switchcraft S-230 right-angle plug at the end of the boom mic wiring, left the tip conductor unconnected (PTT switch on stick will still work), and plug it into the existing microphone jack. That way, we can also pull out the boom mic plug and use a handheld mic as a backup.

Marc

Old February 5th 15, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

[...]

I likely misread your post, if you cut the plug off of a Dittel mic, I believe white is ground/common, brown is mic audio...

Marc

Old February 5th 15, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Mueller

Marc, thank you.

Old February 5th 15, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 12:32:01 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

A quick Google search yields....

Wiring pinouts of the radio.....
http://www.airtalk.org/looking-for-d...m-vt45701.html

Some info regarding "needing an amplifier" for the mic....
http://rec.aviation.soaring.narkive....60m-substitute

PDF radio manual....
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/ditte...ser_manual.pdf

This was my Google search, other links out there but need to be translated...
"dittel fsg-60m" +manual
Old February 5th 15, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 7:45:06 PM UTC-5, Doug Mueller wrote:
[...]

Doug, no problem.
From what I read, I didn't see which mic you're going to, thus no further info.
Pass that on (what mic you're going to), maybe one of can provide some more info.
If nothing else, this thread may come up (with similar questions/search), thus more info linked for the next person..... ;-)
Old February 5th 15, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Mueller

Hi Charlie,sorry it is a Dittel F10039 Dynamic mic. It has a ground
braided wire, one white wire and one brown wire.
Doug

Mueller wrote:
[...]

From what I read, I didn't see which mic you're going to, thus no

further
info.

Old February 6th 15, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Hi Doug,

I am not familiar with the FSG60, but on some other radios, different pins on the harness plug are used for dynamic mics than are used for standard (or electret mics). Since you have the manual, you should check the wiring diagram to see if this is the case for the 60. If it is, that explain why it did not work when you connected it to the old jack wires. If the manual does not make this distinction, then some of the older radios have a potentiometer that you adjust with a screw driver for the gain required of a standard vs dynamic mic.

In terms of the mic itself, there should be two wires plus a ground wire. The ground is usually a shield or a bare wire. As far as the other two wires, it does not matter how they are connected as far as + -. Just like a speaker, it does not matter which direction the current flows through the mic. So, as long as you can determine the ground wire you are set.