Which Transponder?

Old September 6th 03, 12:20 AM
Ian Forbes

Default Which Transponder?

Hi All

I am contemplating getting a transponder for our LS3a. It seems the choice
is between either a 175W or 250W Becker "ATC 4401" unit or the Microair
"T2000".

Has anybody had first hand experience with any of the above?

What were your experiences, which unit would you recommend?

Which altitude encoder did you use?

What batteries do you use and how long do they last in flight?

Where did you mount the antenae?

Have you had any operational or reliability problems while flying?

The alternative might be to get hold of an old Terra unit. However these
seem virtually unobtainable, not very reliable and very
difficult/expensive to repair if/when they fail.

Thanks

Ian
Old September 6th 03, 07:26 PM
Stefan

Filser is currently developing a mode S unit. Depending on how their
schedule matches yours, you might have a look at it.

Stefan
Old September 7th 03, 03:24 AM
Marc Ramsey

"Ivan Kahn" wrote...
Before you invest in a transponder, call the facility with radar coverage in
your area and find out if they routinely "supress" VFR codes during the
times you fly. When the screen gets busy some facilities supress VFR codes,
and so a transponder would in fact be a waste of money.

A transponder will trigger ACAS/TCAS, whether or not the controllers happen to
be paying attention to it...

Marc

Old September 7th 03, 05:33 AM
BTIZ

I doubt that they would suppress 1200 within the approach control area
around a class B airspace (ModeC Veil)

BT

"Ivan Kahn" wrote in message
Before you invest in a transponder, call the facility with radar coverage

in
your area and find out if they routinely "supress" VFR codes during the
times you fly. When the screen gets busy some facilities supress VFR

codes,
and so a transponder would in fact be a waste of money.

Ivan

Old September 7th 03, 06:26 AM
John Morgan

"Ian Forbes" wrote in message
news
Hi All

I am contemplating getting a transponder for our LS3a. It seems the choice
is between either a 175W or 250W Becker "ATC 4401" unit or the Microair
"T2000".

I have the 175 watt Becker with ACK A30 encoder in my 26E. No clue how long
the ship's 18 AH avionics battery would power it as there's solar panels on
the engine bay doors helping out. If I turned off WinPilot I could probably
sell power to the utility. In any case, I suspect it'll last way longer than
me. AFAIK the 250 watt Becker is only recommended if you spend a lot of time
in the upper flight levels.

Antenna is mounted on the belly just aft of the gear door. The thinking is
to get the antenna as far as possible, within reason, away from the pilot's
body. No sense testing the long term effects of high frequency radiation.

For the reasons you mentioned, the Terra isn't worth considering unless dirt
cheap. Even then, may not work long enough to justify cutting a rectangular
hole in the panel to mount it - - considering that you'll have a tough time
putting any other piece of gear in the non-standard hole.
--
bumper
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

---

Old September 7th 03, 06:59 AM
wsburhen

I think marc's statement concerning ACAS/TCAS is one of the best
reasons to fly with a transponder, along with facilitating the
extended use of some wave windows. I fly along/in mountainous areas
that have alot of bizjet/heavy aircraft decending over them and
although I haven't had any close calls, I've seen traffic come out of
nearby clouds (not on airways) going fast enough that I'm happy I had
something to let them know where I am before there is any visual
contact! I used to have a Terra, but it wouldn't fit in the
panel(it was hung off the side-in the way of egress) and parts aren't
available. I got a microaire and it's been easy to use, has worked
great, and didn't cost two arms and a leg.
Will
Old September 7th 03, 02:04 PM
Ivan Kahn

Class B airspace is used where there is heavy traffic, which is when VFR
codes are typically suppressed. My advice is only to make a phone call
before laying down your cash.

On the other hand, Marc does make a good point which is "A transponder will

Old September 9th 03, 10:47 AM
CH

I am not so sure if a transponder makes sense, if not in a powered
sailplane. I was told, that only with a transponder I could cross a
20km whide controlled airspace - ok - get a transponder in and
test fly it.

Same situation asking permission to cross the same area.
ATC: do you have a transponder ... yes
the usual switch on procedure followed and then the permit to
cross the airspace ending with - keep flight level at xxxxxx ft
my answer: glider CH cannot keep flight level
ATC: withdraws permit to cross airspace
(too much work to shuffle traffic vertically as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
ok then - rip the transponder out.

- Transponders for gliders are just battery flattening
- we should have a receiver telling us, where the big birds are
comming from

Chris