Colibri to PDA connection

Old June 23rd 04, 02:23 AM
Ian Cant

Default Colibri to PDA connection

Can anyone please tell me how a Colibri can be connected
to a PDA [like a low-end Palm] to allow file downloads
and uploads ? I want to use the Palm as a more-portable
replacement for an unreliable laptop; no particular
need for realtime or postflight display software, only
the data capture. Can I buy a suitable connector,
or do I have to make/wire it myself ? Since I would
still need some PC to copy the files to floppies, would
I just be wasting my time ?

Ian

Old June 23rd 04, 03:01 AM
Paul Remde

Hi,

I'm not aware of any Palm software that does what you're looking for, but
www.flywithce.com provides Pocket PC software that can be used to download
flight logs from a Colibri. They also have cables available.

I also sell cables that can be used to connect to a Pocket PC with a
Colibri. For details go to:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/goddard.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old June 23rd 04, 01:56 PM
Kevin Christner

Ian Cant wrote in message ...
Can anyone please tell me how a Colibri can be connected
to a PDA [like a low-end Palm] to allow file downloads
and uploads ? I want to use the Palm as a more-portable
replacement for an unreliable laptop; no particular
need for realtime or postflight display software, only
the data capture. Can I buy a suitable connector,
or do I have to make/wire it myself ? Since I would
still need some PC to copy the files to floppies, would
I just be wasting my time ?

Ian

The software you want is flyWithCE Downloader. Downloader will
download your IGC logs to the iPaq and also upload and download
turnpoints. For what you are doing I would reccomend buying a Compaq
iPaq 38xx. This way, you could use a small SD memory card to save
your logs to. Most contest organizations accept memory cards in lieu
of floppies.

The 38xx crades (connection devices) also have a serial port. You can
connect the cradles serial port to a null modem, and then the null
modem to the PC cable you already have for your colibri.

Everything you need is available from Wings and Wheels.
www.wingsandwheels.com. We can even set everything up for you.

Kevin Christner
Wings and Wheels
Old June 24th 04, 07:20 AM
Janos Bauer

Ian Cant wrote:
Can anyone please tell me how a Colibri can be connected
to a PDA [like a low-end Palm] to allow file downloads
and uploads ? I want to use the Palm as a more-portable
replacement for an unreliable laptop; no particular
need for realtime or postflight display software, only
the data capture. Can I buy a suitable connector,
or do I have to make/wire it myself ? Since I would
still need some PC to copy the files to floppies, would
I just be wasting my time ?

You can use Palm OS based PDA as well. Every simple serial monitor
will do this job. Chose one of them what can save the log (actual igc
file) in one piece. Some of them saves logs as memo but that is limited
in size. I also suggest to same the log to an SD/MMC card immediately.
Don't forget to set the same serial parameters on both sides (speed,
flow control etc)
Probably you have to make your own cable or create a special device to
connect Colibri's and palm's RS232 cables (both 9pin male). Something
like this:
http://www.freeweb.hu/bauerj/soarpilot/csati.jpg
http://www.freeweb.hu/bauerj/soarpilot/altcsati.jpg
Inside these boxes just pin 5-5 connected directly and 2-3 are cross
connected.
You can also use your palm with a
href="http://www.soaringpilot.org/"soaringpilot/a for free
Regards,