ADS-B or just Mode S for class E airspace?

Old January 28th 19, 09:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default ADS-B or just Mode S for class E airspace?

PowerFLARM PCAS sees mode C and S transponders, as badly as Ramy describes. PowerFLARM does not see UAT direct and cannot decode ADS-R or TIS-B messages, so you will not see that traffic even if you have ADS-B Out to make your glider a client for ADS-R and TIS-B ground based services.

Future products from FLARM OEMs may improve that, but the story there seems much more of a mess than I hoped it would be. Maybe more on that later, elsewhere on r.a.s.

If you want to see all that stuff today you need a separate receiver and display like one of the GA oriented EFB applications, like ForeFlight on an iPad or iPhone.

But... having ADS-B Out is a big step... it makes your glider visible to all those GA aircraft in lots of situations... many folks who have ADS-B In today have dual-link receivers that will see you regardless of whether they have ADS-B Out or are within TIS-B service coverage.
Old January 28th 19, 09:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

And there is no other ADS-B In system in use in the USA except PowerFLARM that has a PCAS like capability. ADS-B TIS-B that Mike and I have mentioned here several times is more complex and you need to go read about that to understand the limitations of where/when it works. Mike mentioned the limitations already, and I have posted similar comments many times on r.a.s. But again TIS-B is academic if you are using a PowerFLARM receiver, the European folks involved in developing PowerFLARM just did not implement support for it.

Old January 28th 19, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The February issue of Soaring Mag will have an article on my installation of ADS-B out in my DG-303. If you go to FlightAware you can see one of my flight traces from the region 7 contest. N701HR https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N701HR
Old January 28th 19, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That's pretty cool, but I'm having difficulties with the program.Â* I
entered my tail number (N995J) from yesterday's flight and got nothing.Â*
I entered the tail number of our C-180 and got a flight from June,
2018.Â* I've flown both aircraft quite a bit, so what am I missing?Â* Do I
need to have had a filed flight plan or had requested flight following?Â*
I also entered my home airport (0E0) and got nothing.

--
Dan, 5J