Wright Brothers Master Pilots

Old January 27th 19, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Kellett

Default Wright Brothers Master Pilots

The Master Pilot is the "most prestigious award the FAA issues to pilots certified under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 61" (see https://www.faasafety.gov/content/MasterPilot/).

Five members of our club (Skyline Soaring) have been recipients of this award, and I was wondering if there are other US clubs out there with similar records?
Old January 27th 19, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I will say, Hank Nixon is likely there.......I have only been flying gliders maybe 45 years.
Hank was one of my early instructors...

Yep, I have no where the accolades he has. We both did all badges from Middletown, NY (he has a 1000K from Newcastle.....part of the "big one" decades ago) and we both did all badges through gold 2 diamonds from Middletown. He did the last Diamond from the NE, I still want the last diamond from Middletown and maybe do a 1000k from same site.

Yes, Hank (the real UH) is likely there for this distinction. I would vote for it.......as would likely others.....

Disclaimer, we are related through marriage, so yes, I am biased.......
Old January 27th 19, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I think Kansas Soaring Association has three
Old January 27th 19, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Citrus Soaring

My grandfather Edwin Blanchard met the requirements but the award didn’t exist when he was alive.

My Father Robert Burbank was a recipient of the award and continued to fly for many years after receiving it.

My mother Janie Burbank passed away just prior to her 50th year of flying.

I hope to receive the award in the year 2049...haha

Congrats to all of the aviators that have received this amazing award!

Regards,

Franklin Burbank
Old January 27th 19, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 9:20:19 AM UTC-7, Jim Kellett wrote:
The Master Pilot is the "most prestigious award the FAA issues to pilots certified under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 61" (see https://www.faasafety.gov/content/MasterPilot/).

Five members of our club (Skyline Soaring) have been recipients of this award, and I was wondering if there are other US clubs out there with similar records?

Dave Varnam (my instructor) of Spokane Soaring Society received this reward at the last SSA convention.
Old January 27th 19, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 12:50:04 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
I will say, Hank Nixon is likely there.......I have only been flying gliders maybe 45 years.
Hank was one of my early instructors...

Yep, I have no where the accolades he has. We both did all badges from Middletown, NY (he has a 1000K from Newcastle.....part of the "big one" decades ago) and we both did all badges through gold 2 diamonds from Middletown. He did the last Diamond from the NE, I still want the last diamond from Middletown and maybe do a 1000k from same site.

Yes, Hank (the real UH) is likely there for this distinction. I would vote for it.......as would likely others.....

Disclaimer, we are related through marriage, so yes, I am biased.......

UH not eligible until 2023 but thanks for the nice words.
UH
Old January 27th 19, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 2:55:22 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 12:50:04 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
I will say, Hank Nixon is likely there.......I have only been flying gliders maybe 45 years.
Hank was one of my early instructors...

Yep, I have no where the accolades he has. We both did all badges from Middletown, NY (he has a 1000K from Newcastle.....part of the "big one" decades ago) and we both did all badges through gold 2 diamonds from Middletown. He did the last Diamond from the NE, I still want the last diamond from Middletown and maybe do a 1000k from same site.

Yes, Hank (the real UH) is likely there for this distinction. I would vote for it.......as would likely others.....

Disclaimer, we are related through marriage, so yes, I am biased.......

UH not eligible until 2023 but thanks for the nice words.
UH

Oklahoma Soaring Assc. has three recipients, not bad for a 20 member club!
Scott
Old January 27th 19, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

An interesting metric for a glider club would be ratio of wright brothers master pilots to SSA youth Members...
Old January 28th 19, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 3:39:09 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
An interesting metric for a glider club would be ratio of wright brothers master pilots to SSA youth Members...

Yes Tony,
But a deeper meaning in that ratio might simply illustrate the general publics enthusiasm for flying in the 1950's and 1960's compared to today.
Old January 28th 19, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If the era were the culprit the same problem would be playing out in Europe. It is not. Take a look at the UK Jr. Soaring Team. We're failing the youth not the other way around.