500+ KM OLC flight in Florida today

Old February 24th 19, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default 500+ KM OLC flight in Florida today

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 4:29:40 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Tom Kelley #711 wrote on 2/22/2019 5:09 PM:
Folks in NZ also had a great day, but I bet they had to dress a lot warmer!

It's their summer, so they likely aren't the warm dressers!

That depends on how high the wave is going. 20k to 35k feet is not uncommon.
Old February 24th 19, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 5:29:40 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Tom Kelley #711 wrote on 2/22/2019 5:09 PM:
Folks in NZ also had a great day, but I bet they had to dress a lot warmer!

It's their summer, so they likely aren't the warm dressers!

Eric, when it's this cold(below) in Seminole they deice the gliders before takeoff.....then they deice themselves after landing with harder stuff than beer!

2:08 PM NZDT on February 23, 2019 (GMT +1300) | Updated an hour ago

58° | 46°
57 F
FEELS LIKE 57°

Cloudy
N18
Wind South
Today is forecast to be MUCH WARMER than yesterday.

Best. #711.

Old February 24th 19, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 5:16:58 PM UTC-8, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 4:29:40 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Tom Kelley #711 wrote on 2/22/2019 5:09 PM:
Folks in NZ also had a great day, but I bet they had to dress a lot warmer!

It's their summer, so they likely aren't the warm dressers!

That depends on how high the wave is going. 20k to 35k feet is not uncommon.

Keith's 1800 km flight topped out around 6000m (19700 ft) four times and he was over 5000m (16500 ft) most of the time, so he'll have been dressed fairly warmly. Pilot comment "It wasn't the usual wave flight where you could sleep through most of the flight. Tricky, blue at times and unstable with discontinuous lines. Wave system fell apart in the north and the south stayed relatively good. It was cold, was worried about frozen water ballast so tried to stay relatively low. That caused some excitement and a few slow downs."

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=7006199

Scarlat's comment on the 1600 km 125.3 km/h flight "Weak and slow wave day. Amazing to see the sea breeze pushing inland. Memorable flight with JW, thank you!" Highest point I could find 7562 m (24800 ft).

Max was lower.
Old February 24th 19, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Tom Kelley #711 wrote on 2/23/2019 5:25 PM:
On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 5:29:40 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Tom Kelley #711 wrote on 2/22/2019 5:09 PM:
Folks in NZ also had a great day, but I bet they had to dress a lot warmer!

It's their summer, so they likely aren't the warm dressers!

Eric, when it's this cold(below) in Seminole they deice the gliders before takeoff.....then they deice themselves after landing with harder stuff than beer!

2:08 PM NZDT on February 23, 2019 (GMT +1300) | Updated an hour ago

58° | 46°
57 F
FEELS LIKE 57°

Cloudy
N18
Wind South
Today is forecast to be MUCH WARMER than yesterday.

When I was growing up in Hawaii, the record low was 60F. My mom started the
fireplace (very unusual to have one in Hawaii, at least back in the '50s) when
temps got to 70F.

Old February 24th 19, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 9:11:08 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

Hee hee. When I run the wood stove here in Vermont (i.e., on the colder winter days/nights) it rarely brings the indoor temperature UP to 70 degrees F (21 centigrade).
Old February 24th 19, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]

On Saturday, 23 February 2019 09:20:40 UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
Nice low save by Charles Petersen in his Discus 2T/18m in Florida too...
950agl?

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=7006218

Boggs

The gear was down...