Scotchgarding slightly weathered wingcovers

Old February 25th 19, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Default Scotchgarding slightly weathered wingcovers

I have the lower cost Chinese wing covers and after 3 days of drizzle they appeared to be somewhat internally saturated, sticking to wing.
Not sure how much if any water is getting thru as everything is damp. When the sun finally appeared, the covers seemed to dry fast enough.
With all of that I was pondering the idea of Scotchgarding with Heavy Duty Water Shield 3M. Formulated for outdoor fabrics of all kinds. Tents, boat covers, canvas, etc.
Anyone have any experience with Scotchgard? I could do the tailboom area only and see how it performs.
Old February 25th 19, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 7:54:54 AM UTC-7, Retting wrote:
I have the lower cost Chinese wing covers and after 3 days of drizzle they appeared to be somewhat internally saturated, sticking to wing.
Not sure how much if any water is getting thru as everything is damp. When the sun finally appeared, the covers seemed to dry fast enough.
With all of that I was pondering the idea of Scotchgarding with Heavy Duty Water Shield 3M. Formulated for outdoor fabrics of all kinds. Tents, boat covers, canvas, etc.
Anyone have any experience with Scotchgard? I could do the tailboom area only and see how it performs.

Don't use my covers very often but I do reapply every 3 years(or so) "Starbrite waterproofing" which I purchase in a gallon size from Amazon. I do use a mask when applying. The best test to see if it's needed is to try and simply blow air thru the material. If you can do that, then you really should use the waterproofing. UV does take its toll and we found over the years Starbrite lasts the best for our use. Either spray it on or you can use a brush to do it.
QT is at Seminole, talk with him as he did his several years ago when I also was doing mine.

Best. #711.
Old February 28th 19, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 9:54:54 AM UTC-5, Retting wrote:
I have the lower cost Chinese wing covers and after 3 days of drizzle they appeared to be somewhat internally saturated, sticking to wing.
Not sure how much if any water is getting thru as everything is damp. When the sun finally appeared, the covers seemed to dry fast enough.
With all of that I was pondering the idea of Scotchgarding with Heavy Duty Water Shield 3M. Formulated for outdoor fabrics of all kinds. Tents, boat covers, canvas, etc.
Anyone have any experience with Scotchgard? I could do the tailboom area only and see how it performs.

Starbright lasts 2-3 years; a roller is much easier to use than a brush.
Do the job in open air; both the solvent and the active ingredient
are bad for the body.
JMF