Replacing a multi-probe socket

Old March 9th 19, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Replacing a multi-probe socket

Is there a 3-circuit socket which is more easily serviced when the total pressure (pitot) O-ring fails?
Jim
Old March 9th 19, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 10:48:26 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
Is there a 3-circuit socket which is more easily serviced when the total pressure (pitot) O-ring fails?
Jim

Jim, it is possible to replace the last o-ring (4mm) on a multi-probe. I did it once. I must admit a lot of bad words came out of my mouth over a period of half a day, but it was done. You would need to manufacture your own tooling to do this and have incredible amount of patience, but I am certain you will succeed.
Old March 11th 19, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Yep done the outer, dental pick tool, and a Delrin rod to seat the new O-ring in place. Done outside on the ramp at an airport, and yes lots of swearing...
Old March 11th 19, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 5:41:10 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Yep done the outer, dental pick tool, and a Delrin rod to seat the new O-ring in place. Done outside on the ramp at an airport, and yes lots of swearing...

There's a kit labeled "TE Probe" at home. Came with one of the 27s.
Also a spare UN socket which by now could need new O-rings.
The kit is like what you describe. Not thrilled about using it without better currency at swearing in German. Perhaps time to practice on the spare one.

For a replacement... Is there a difference in serviceability between type UN, UNG and SUN sockets?
This is for a friend's DG.

There's always the possibility that any leak is the probe itself. I've seen two triple probes and a standard TE probe that didn't seal, when other probes used in the same socket did.
Thanks,
Jim
Old March 11th 19, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Not being a mechanical engineer, could anyone enlighten me as to why the
o-rings are installed internally in the socket rather than externally on
the probe?Â* In either case the o-rings are getting rubbed each
installation/removal cycle and it seems light lubrication, like the skin
oil from one's nose, would work nicely. That's how I lube the probe on
my Stemme.

And, BTW, the o-rings would be oh so much easier to replace...

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 11th 19, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 4:56:13 PM UTC, Dan Marotta wrote:
Not being a mechanical engineer, could anyone enlighten me as to why the
o-rings are installed internally in the socket rather than externally on
the probe?Â* In either case the o-rings are getting rubbed each
installation/removal cycle and it seems light lubrication, like the skin
oil from one's nose, would work nicely. That's how I lube the probe on
my Stemme.

And, BTW, the o-rings would be oh so much easier to replace...

In ESA probes the UN sockets (eg for triple probes) have the O-rings in the socket and the ST sockets (eg for TE/Static double probes) have the O-rings on the aluminium probe fitting but those ones are more prone to fractures of the fitting on older probes - at the O-ring groove of course.
Old March 12th 19, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Dan:
For some reason the O-Rings on my South African glider get really dry & stiff. We use a very light coat of silicone "plumbers grease" on the probe about twice a year to fix that (petroleum based grease attacks the O-Ring). My US glider in Massachusetts doesn't have the problem.
ROY

Old March 12th 19, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:52:53 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
Dan:
For some reason the O-Rings on my South African glider get really dry & stiff. We use a very light coat of silicone "plumbers grease" on the probe about twice a year to fix that (petroleum based grease attacks the O-Ring). My US glider in Massachusetts doesn't have the problem.
ROY

If everyone used this, we'd have fewer problems: https://www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-V.../dp/B001UHMNW0

What I use on the o-rings I rely on in my day job, as well as my triple probe socket.

T8