C-130 Unit Completes Two Year Deployment

Old September 30th 03, 10:04 PM
Otis Willie

Default C-130 Unit Completes Two Year Deployment

C-130 Unit Completes Two Year Deployment

(EXCERPT) PRESS RELEASE -- Secretary of the Air Force, Directorate of
Public Affairs

Release No. 0930032 Sep 30, 2003

C-130 Unit Completes Two Year Deployment

DYESS AIR FORCE BASE, TEXAS - After nearly two years of supporting
military operations overseas, the people and C-130s of the 317th
Airlift Group here will finally be reunited during two deployment
returns Friday and Sunday.

More than 50 airmen from all squadrons of the 317th along with several
members of the 7th Bomb Wing will arrive early afternoon Friday by bus
from Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. On Sunday, another group
of more than 200 is scheduled to arrive aboard the 317th AG's C-130
Hercules.

The 317th initially deployed soon after the 9-11 terrorist attacks,
and since then has almost continuously rotated people and equipment
into and out of Central and Southwest Asia in support of operations
Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.

"We've completed a safe and successful marathon wartime deployment
that tested our endurance as well as our equipment," said Lt. Col.
David Miller, 317th Operational Support Squadron commander.

The Hercules team was based at seven classified locations in support
of operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom, said Miller. "They
faced extreme climactic conditions from scorching heat and dust to
bitter cold with snow and mud," he said. "We've had our Hercules
stationed at as many as three different forward airfields at once."

While deployed, the 317th performed vital airlift missions such as
moving troops and equipment, providing humanitarian relief supply,
performing combat aerial delivery, aeromedical evaluations, and
prisoner movements to sustain and support coalition forces.

"The combat missions flown were under the most challenging conditions
encountered since the Vietnam War," said Miller. "They (the aircraft
and crews) were flown at more than twice the pace they were
maintaining before 9-11."

Media advisory: To schedule coverage for this event, contact Capt.
David May or Master Sgt. Bill Lincicome at the 7th Bomb Wing public
affairs office at (325) 696-2161 before 5 p.m. Thursday. Interviews
with family members and returning airmen will be available. More
details will be released on Thursday.

-30-

other U.S. Air Force lists at

https://oaprod.hq.af.mil/saf/pa/misc/listserv.cfm