ATC "cancellation" of scheduled carrier flights?

Old August 26th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

Default ATC "cancellation" of scheduled carrier flights?

A good friend of mine just got back from London and flew RT on British Airways. He said the service was awesome. The funny thing is the airlines out of Europe are able to do that with fuel much higher in Europe.

Are they subsidized?

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 26th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

Bonehenge wrote in
:

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 01:19:31 GMT, Judah wrote:

Sam Spade wrote in news:5nKHg.14$c07.3@fed1read04:

Like they care about customer service?

Some do. The profitable ones, anyway.

There's more than one?

I thought JetBlue and Southwest were both profitable...
Old August 26th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Anno v. Heimburg

Jose wrote:
Are they subsidized?

No, not any longer. I think all former flag carries in EU-Europe were
privatized in the 90s. A lot of the smaller ones have since gone out of
business or were bought by their bigger competitors.
Old August 26th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Everett M. Greene[_2_]

Judah writes:
Sam Spade wrote
Judah wrote:
Sam Spade wrote
Marc J. Zeitlin wrote:

While discussing reimbursement of hotel bills from a major airline, I
was told that my flight(s) were cancelled BY ATC.

Airlines cancel flights. But, when they cancel because of ATC delays
they are unable to absorb into their fleet operational planning the
airline typically considers that to be a cancellation that they did not
cause. It is not unlike cancellation for weather.

That's a bad customer service policy.

Like they care about customer service?

Some do. The profitable ones, anyway.

I thought "profitable airlines" was an oxymoron.

I've read that the airline industry in toto has yet
to show a net profit for its nearly 100 year history.
Old August 26th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Judah wrote:
Bonehenge wrote in
:

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 01:19:31 GMT, Judah wrote:

Sam Spade wrote in news:5nKHg.14$c07.3@fed1read04:

Like they care about customer service?

Some do. The profitable ones, anyway.

There's more than one?

I thought JetBlue and Southwest were both profitable...

Southwest has been profitable recently because of fuel hedging. That is
running out.

JetBlue is profitable because they are playing games with amortization
of aircraft costs aided and abetted by AirBus (a subsidized aircraft
manufacturer).
Old August 26th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
MrBiff

Jose wrote:
A good friend of mine just got back from London and flew RT on British
Airways. He said the service was awesome. The funny thing is the
airlines out of Europe are able to do that with fuel much higher in
Europe.

Are they subsidized?

Jose

If they are, why not ours? I think KLM is. I don't know
about BA.How can American air carriers compete with a higher
Euro AND Government subsidy by the respective Governments?

Not possible

If foreign carriers get US domestic routes its all over but
the shouting.Remember the glory days of Pan-Am and TWA?
America dominated transcontinental traffic.

Why not now?

Two reasons. The FAA is inept and "Bean Counters and Suits"
run airlines in America. The aviation spirit and blood is dying

No new ideas or looking around corners.It's all about
"Bottom Line" and making everyone happy through politically
correct tyranny.

I guarantee the FAA spends(wastes) more tax money on
Diversity classes and social programs kissing the black ass
and investigating if some woman got her feelings hurt than
promoting aviation and new ideas. The FAA is not much better
than HUD. A big Government cluster ****

The passion is gone from American aviation. There is no
leadership or fire in the belly for new ideas

Now everyone is treated like cattle so some rag head *******
don't sue. I say jack all Muslims under 25 up. If they bitch
and whine and are carrying a foreign passport, tell them
tough ****.

That's why American aviation is on the ropes

No balls and politically correct stupidity

Where is Chuck Yeager and Howard Hughes when we need them?

Old August 27th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Old August 27th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jonathan Goodish

In article vM1Ig.118$c07.112@fed1read04, Sam Spade
wrote:
There's more than one?

I thought JetBlue and Southwest were both profitable...

Southwest has been profitable recently because of fuel hedging. That is
running out.

Southwest has been profitable every year for some 30+ years. Their fuel
hedge has expired and been renewed several times. The fuel hedge isn't
the reason that they've been profitable, it is simply one of the
reasons. The big reason is that management runs the company well and
treats the employees well. In turn, the employees work hard for the
company and the customers. That "big reason" is missing in most of the
other major carriers.

I am concerned, however, that Southwest is beginning to lose its spark,
and mess with a model that has worked well for 30+ years.

JKG
Old August 27th 06, 11:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Jonathan Goodish wrote:

Southwest has been profitable every year for some 30+ years. Their fuel
hedge has expired and been renewed several times. The fuel hedge isn't
the reason that they've been profitable, it is simply one of the
reasons. The big reason is that management runs the company well and
treats the employees well. In turn, the employees work hard for the
company and the customers. That "big reason" is missing in most of the
other major carriers.

I am concerned, however, that Southwest is beginning to lose its spark,
and mess with a model that has worked well for 30+ years.

JKG

I should have said Southwest has been profitable recently primarily
because of fuel hedges.

When Herb stepped down the special status of the employee groups is
slowly descending into the morass that is typical of all U.S. airlines.

The other reason SWA has made money is by operting only one type of
aircraft (one of the cheaper to buy and maintain). It prevents them
from being an international carrier, though, which means they are not
full service in that sense.

They have also saved money by not playing with the other airlines, such
as interline baggage transfers, which does not serve their customers well.

Having said that, all in all, SWA does better than most, but not as good
as they used to. And, their fares are generally higher than the
compeition, although they seem to be able to gloss over that.

I use American often to fly LAX to IAD for $350 or so round trip. I
also use SWA to fly SNA to OKC, $650 rount trip.
Old August 27th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

Airlines don't need to be full service. That's exactly why they are not
making a profit. Each of the majors is trying to be all things to all
people and compete with every other airline on every front. With the
exception of a few airlines, they have lost the concept of value and have
made their seats into commodities, competing only on price.

It doesn't have to be that way, but the majors are run too poorly to do
anything about it. The majors could choose niche markets just like SWA and
JetBlue have done and then they would be able to charge a fair price for
their tickets and make a buck.

Instead, they try to compete with JetBlue and SWA by cutting every cost
they can - charging for food and standby changes, reducing the quality of
maintenance on the planes, reducing the quality of the staff, and reducing
the amount of legroom so they can fit a few extra seats (even though the
net result is many flights end up empty), Basically they have reduced the
value of the service they offer - making it worth less than the $300 you
paid to get to LAX because it is such a miserable experience... They are
putting themselves out of business.

Legality of a flight John Piloting 14 May 31st 06 12:22 AM
fuel subsidies for Angle Flight pilots sashley Piloting 17 September 11th 05 09:25 AM
U-2 Carrier Ops Greasy Rider© @invalid.com Naval Aviation 7 July 14th 05 11:38 PM
US Navy wants to homeport carrier in Hawaii or Guam [email protected] Naval Aviation 17 April 10th 05 01:00 PM
Ownership and passengers Roger Long Owning 30 October 11th 03 02:00 PM