Aviation database for Garmin 2610/2620?

Old September 7th 04, 05:44 PM
Slav Inger

Default Aviation database for Garmin 2610/2620?

Hi there,

Does anyone know if Garmin 2610 or 2620 can be loaded with an aviation
database to be used in the cockpit? Thanks.
Old September 7th 04, 06:00 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, (Slav Inger) said:
Does anyone know if Garmin 2610 or 2620 can be loaded with an aviation
database to be used in the cockpit? Thanks.

It's probably supported by EasyGPS, in which case you can create a
database at
http://navaid.com/GPX/ and load it using EasyGPS.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
You mean [Exchange] was deliberately written? I thought someone had
Old September 7th 04, 11:12 PM
John Bell

Sorry,

I hit the Reply instead of Reply Group button.

John
om...

Old September 7th 04, 11:13 PM
John Bell

Does anyone know if Garmin 2610 or 2620 can be loaded with an aviation
database to be used in the cockpit? Thanks.

As Paul Tomblin has mentioned, navaid.com will allow you to load aviation
waypoints. You cannot load an entire database. What you can do is load
aviation waypoints as user waypoints.

Paul's site is great. I don't know about the 2610 and 2620, but you can
then load the waypoints from Paul's site with several programs. Some of the
free ones are EasyGPS, www.easygps.com and G7toWin,
http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/.

If you have not purchased the 2610 yet, I would consider buying the 276C
with the auto kit instead. The 276 will hold 3,000 waypoints verses 500 for
the 2610. The 276 also has much more versatility with respect to
navigational displays, especially data fields. The 276 should also work
well in your car.

John Bell
www.cockpitgps.com.

Old September 8th 04, 12:03 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "John Bell" said:
As Paul Tomblin has mentioned, navaid.com will allow you to load aviation
waypoints. You cannot load an entire database. What you can do is load
aviation waypoints as user waypoints.

Paul's site is great. I don't know about the 2610 and 2620, but you can
then load the waypoints from Paul's site with several programs. Some of the
free ones are EasyGPS, www.easygps.com and G7toWin,
http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/.

While we're indulging in a little self-promotion here, I'd like to ask
people a question about my waypoint generator. A little while ago I got
frustrated with the fact that the FAA data I get is incredibly
inconsistent about the naming of fixes. It's hard to know what fix types
to ask for, because what I'm usually interested in are fixes on airways,
but the FAA only uses the fix type "AWY-INTXN" about 8 times in the whole
country. Most of the others are called something else, but those
something elses are also used for fixes I have no interest in myself. So
as an experiment, I put a thing in the CoPilot waypoint generator to pick
fixes based on what charts they appear on. So I pick ones that appear on
IFR Enroute Low Altitude charts only, and I'm not troubled by all those
fixes that are only of interest to people with GPSes, or which are part of
Jet Routes, or part of an approach but not in the en-route, etc.

I put that into CoPilot, and asked for feedback. And so far, not a single
person has told me whether they like it or not. So I don't know if I
should bother putting it in the other generators or not, or even if I
put it in INSTEAD of the other fix type picker.

Anybody have any opinions?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
The language that these files use is just like BASIC, only with all of
Old September 8th 04, 04:37 PM
ArtP

I have IFR and Enroute checked, but I also have checked the
fix types checked. I use about 30,000 records. It took quite a bit of
experiment to get the fixes that I needed and take about an hour to
get the data base loaded into the PDA. I just don't want to mess with
what is working, however, if I were a new user I would much prefer the
fix by chart type.

Old September 8th 04, 07:06 PM
ArtP

I tried just using the IFR/VFR chart symbols. The good news is
my database went from 30,000 records to 15,000. The bad news is that
every one of my routes now has missing waypoints. It seems that many
of the IFR intersections are missing (ie. SACRI which is the
intersection of EMI/272 and ENO/318).

Old September 8th 04, 09:31 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, ArtP said:
I tried just using the IFR/VFR chart symbols. The good news is
my database went from 30,000 records to 15,000. The bad news is that
every one of my routes now has missing waypoints. It seems that many
of the IFR intersections are missing (ie. SACRI which is the
intersection of EMI/272 and ENO/318).

Both the FAA data and the DAFIF say that SACRI is only on the high
altitude en-route chart. Try selecting high altitude en-route.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
.... industry giant Microsoft Corporation... a company that has become
Old September 8th 04, 03:01 PM
Slav Inger

"John Bell" wrote:

As Paul Tomblin has mentioned, navaid.com will allow you to load aviation
waypoints. You cannot load an entire database. What you can do is load
aviation waypoints as user waypoints.

Paul's site is great. I don't know about the 2610 and 2620, but you can
then load the waypoints from Paul's site with several programs. Some of the
free ones are EasyGPS, www.easygps.com and G7toWin,
http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/.

If you have not purchased the 2610 yet, I would consider buying the 276C
with the auto kit instead. The 276 will hold 3,000 waypoints verses 500 for
the 2610. The 276 also has much more versatility with respect to
navigational displays, especially data fields. The 276 should also work
well in your car.

John Bell
www.cockpitgps.com.

Wow, thanks for the info Paul and John! What I was hoping for is
something similar to what I currently have on my cheap Magellan
handheld, which is a listing of all airports, navaids, IFR fixes,
frequencies, etc in the Midwest area. Looking at Paul's site, I
should be able to approximate this functionality. Sounds good!

Now, when switching between aviation and car mode, I'll have to keep
reloading the GPS with aviation and auto data respectively, correct?