Banning mogas at the airport...

Old July 15th 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Banning mogas at the airport...

That's the rule Jay is looking for!

Indeed it is.

Thanks, Jim and all!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 15th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Matt Whiting wrote:

I'm not aware of any such law, but at my airport we couldn't refuel
inside the hangar due to insurance requirements. However, it was never
a problem on the ramp.

Fueling and defueling operations in hangars are really dangerous. I
personally know of a few airplanes and structrures lost this way.
Old July 15th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

One of the instructors who teaches for the AOPA CFI renewal
seminars is named Bill Gunn, his full time job is for the
State of Texas and he speaks about this issue at the
seminars. When he gets complaints about such issues, he
tells the local city councils and airports boards that they
must follow the contract and federal laws.

Here is a link with each states' agency.
http://www.nasea.org/state1.htm

Pilot: Bill Gunn - Austin, TX
Aircraft: N252MD, RV-4, Red
Home Airport: Georgetown (GTU)

Bill Gunn retired from the US Air Force as an F-4 Weapons
System Officer. Bill worked as a Certified Flight Instructor
and then for American Airlines. After then working in
aviation contract services, Bill took his present job with
the Aviation Branch of Texas Department of Transportation.
He bought his red RV-4 from Mark (#6 in the formation) and
has been flying with Falcon Flight since mid 90s.

He flies the RV to the classes he teaches. Hell of a nice
guy.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

oups.com...

Old July 15th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Ron Natalie wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote:

I'm not aware of any such law, but at my airport we couldn't refuel
inside the hangar due to insurance requirements. However, it was
never a problem on the ramp.

Fueling and defueling operations in hangars are really dangerous. I
personally know of a few airplanes and structrures lost this way.

So is fueling outside in the rain. I know more airplanes that came to
grief from water in the fuel than from a hangar fire.

I certainly don't advocate fueling in the hangar in general, but it is
is raining or 20 below and snowing, it makes sense.

Matt
Old July 15th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Matt Whiting wrote:

I certainly don't advocate fueling in the hangar in general, but it is
is raining or 20 below and snowing, it makes sense.

Get an umbrella :-)

Frankly, I'm skeptical. The amount of water introduced in the open
cap is not likely to be substantial. Most water problems come from
ill-fitting fuel caps when exposed to rain for extended periods.

For 25 years I've fueled and parked aircraft outside (no hangar
available) and never had an issue with picking up water that way
(mushroom caps).
..
Old July 15th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Ron Natalie wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote:

I certainly don't advocate fueling in the hangar in general, but it is
is raining or 20 below and snowing, it makes sense.

Get an umbrella :-)

Frankly, I'm skeptical. The amount of water introduced in the open
cap is not likely to be substantial. Most water problems come from
ill-fitting fuel caps when exposed to rain for extended periods.

For 25 years I've fueled and parked aircraft outside (no hangar
available) and never had an issue with picking up water that way
(mushroom caps).

And I know a lot of people who have refueled airplanes in their hangars
and have never had a fire. Sounds like worrying about either isn't
justified.

Matt
Old July 15th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I think the state of California has some strict laws on transporting
fuel. You can take a couple lawn mower cans for your J-3 but putting a
tank on the back of your truck probably wouldn't fly.

I bought a 50 gallon tank for the back of my pickup and I believe it
came from CA. It supposedly was approved for gasoline transport. The
local farm stores had tanks also, but they were approved only for
diesel, so I had to order one for gasoline.

Matt
Old July 16th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GeorgeC

The question that comes to mind is "What do California farmer do?" I can just
see a farmer filling his tractor with a lawn mower can and then drive back to
the house for more gas. Repeat 20 or more times :-)

Is a farmer can have a tank on his truck, why can't an aviator?

On 15 Jul 2006 13:21:55 -0700, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

I think the state of California has some strict laws on transporting
fuel. You can take a couple lawn mower cans for your J-3 but putting a
tank on the back of your truck probably wouldn't fly.

Jay Honeck wrote:
For years, now, I've read that it's illegal for an FBO or airport to
forbid aircraft owners from fueling their own planes. In another
group, I simply parroted that information -- and now one of the group
members wants to know WHICH law expressly prohibits an FBO from
inhibiting an owner's ability to fuel his plane.

GeorgeC
Old July 16th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"GeorgeC" wrote in message
The question that comes to mind is "What do California farmer do?" I can
just
see a farmer filling his tractor with a lawn mower can and then drive back
the house for more gas. Repeat 20 or more times :-)

Is a farmer can have a tank on his truck, why can't an aviator?

Most farms have stationary tanks that are serviced by fuel distributors.
That's the norm but who knows what goes on in CA.

Old July 16th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
zatatime

wrote:

I think the state of California has some strict laws on transporting
fuel. You can take a couple lawn mower cans for your J-3 but putting a
tank on the back of your truck probably wouldn't fly.

I agree. A pickup truck with a big tank of gas in the back most
definitely won't fly.