An actual post related to flying

Old March 3rd 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default An actual post related to flying

I have concerns about using an electric screwdriver on my plane- don't
they
chew up the heads?

I still love my AEG screwdriver, also sold as Milwaukee, with adjustable
clutch. Use good, fresh bits and the screw heads stay pristine.

Mine is the older single speed--the newer model is a two speed.

Peter

Old March 3rd 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

Default An actual post related to flying (but not piloting)

Main screwdriver is a Snap-On ratcheting one. Then the usual fixed
screwdrivers from Sears (Craftsman). I need to get a very long shaft
screwdrvier though so I don't have to borrow from the mechanic.

Followups directed to r.a.owning
--
When I was younger, there was a house on my street that I thought
was haunted. At night you'd hear screams coming from all over the

Old March 3rd 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dale

In article ,
"Viperdoc" wrote:

So, how about a new poll- how many screwdrivers does the average airplane
owner own?

Who makes the best screwdrivers?

I love my ratcheting Snap-On. I have two of them, one being a stubby for
small places. The standard one is pink (my thinking being what
self-respecting guy would own a pink tool, therefore less chance of it
being stolen).

I have a drawer full of screwdrivers in my box from little jewelers
screwdrivers to a great big long Snap-On...probably 20 or so total.

In the airplane I kept one of those that has reversible tips on each end
of a reversible shaft.
Old March 3rd 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cavedweller

On Mar 3, 9:50 am, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
In a previous article, "Morgans" said:

I don't know if you have the options of choosing the type of heads on the
screws you are using, but for my money you can't beat torx and square socket
screws.

THEY don't let bits jump out, or cam out.

Do Americans "do" Robertson screws? Back when I was a college student,
one of my buddies did his work term at SPAR Aerospace, and they sent an
engineering sample or ground simulator of the Canadarm down to NASA, and
got an urgent call to send down screwdrivers that fit these funny square
socket screws.

They are used some places. There's a sunroom manufacturer in Detroit
that uses
small self tapping Robertsons.

Old March 3rd 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS

"Viperdoc" wrote
I have concerns about using an electric screwdriver on my plane- don't

they
chew up the heads?

I considered it a godsend after previously having to remove the 80 or so
screws necessary to get the cowlings off of a 60's vintage Mooney manually.
The battery-powered drill made it easy.

Have you ever skated across the paint with an electric?

Nope, I never had that happen....yet.

BDS

Old March 3rd 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

Actually, my two favorite surgical instruments were the two foot long bolt
cutter and the vice grips. We used to get them from Sears, but they rusted
too easily when autoclaved.

Had to go to expensive stainless surgical instruments instead. I went to all
stainless screws on my planes, but it seems like the heads are easier to
chew up.

Old March 3rd 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

I had a yellow handled Snap-On that matched my aerobatic plane. However,
needed the Modine heater in the hangar replaced one day, and after the work
the screwdriver was missing.

Still not convinced that an electric is the way to go- it seems like they
chew up the head more than a manual. In the operating room we use mostly hex
sockets or torx head screws. Of course, a single bone screw can cost close
to $100.

Old March 3rd 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Private

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
So, back to aviation- let's hear your responses!

My favorite tool, above all else, is...my pocket Leatherman. The kind
that attaches to your keys.

This danged little tool, by virtue of being handy, has risen above all
others, beyond my $1500 Jet planer and my wonderfully versatile
cordless drill(s).

It doesn't do any one thing particularly well, but I find myself using
it all day long at the hotel, tightening door knob screws, scraping
paint off carpet, jimmying stuck drawers -- it's remarkable. I
actually bought Mary one, and she uses hers every day, too.

It's the best $25 I've ever spent.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Swiss Army Knife, for all the reasons Jay likes his Leatherman.

My personal choice is the officer's Spartan or Sport model made by
Victorinox. It is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the Leatherman and has
a great can opener and a really good corkscrew. IMHO both the can opener
and the corkscrew are superior to most dedicated tools. My wife likes the
next larger size with scissors but I find it too big for my pants pocket,
she carries it in a purse.

The addition of a small vise grip and a roll of duck(t) tape is IMHO a
complete emergency tool kit, but they do not fit well in any of my pockets.

My pilot survival kit consists of Swiss Army Knife, matches, compass,
whistle, and signal mirror. I keep a dedicated set in both my headset bag
and my parachute. I also carry a pack with other required items but like to
keep the basics on my person.

Being a Canadian, I am also a big fan of the Roberson square screw and think
they are superior to the Phillips in every way. IIRC there is some real
historical chauvinism that resulted in the use of the Phillips design in the
USA and the rejection of the superior Robertson.

just my .02, YMMV

Old March 3rd 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Private" said:
they are superior to the Phillips in every way. IIRC there is some real
historical chauvinism that resulted in the use of the Phillips design in the
USA and the rejection of the superior Robertson.

"historical chauvinism" is sometimes spelt "high licensing fees".

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"Go go Gadget kernel compile!" - Chris "Saundo" Saunderson
Old March 3rd 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Private

Default screwing - was An actual post related to flying

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
snip
What's your personal favorite tool? (Mine is the Snap on ratchet screw
driver. It has a great action and feel, and in fact we use their same
mechanism in the operating room for placing bone screws)

So, back to aviation- let's hear your responses!

It must be winter, there is little flying so we are reduced to talking about
screwing.

For real mechanicing on difficult screws, I like to use a hand (not air)
impact screwdriver to remove seized or overly tight screws. The twisting
force is controllable by how hard the driver is struck by the hammer and the
hammer serves to force the driver into good contact with the head of the
screw and reduces slippage and screw damage. I seldom use an impact driver
for installing, but a little nevr-seize on the new screw will allow
increased clamping force and a tighter fit as well as reduce corrosion and
facilitate future removal.

just my .02, YMMV