Pegase 101A polar?

Old February 26th 04, 07:38 AM
John Gilbert

Default Pegase 101A polar?

I have not been able to find any information on the Pegase 101A polar
online. Does anyone have one online?
The published references I have found (sailplanedirectory.com, for
instance) quote a L/D of 41:1, and a sink rate, but with no
corresponding airspeeds. Anyone know what they are? How does it
compare to ASW20 in performance?

Thanks,
John
Old February 26th 04, 09:18 PM
Martin Gregorie

On 25 Feb 2004 23:38:19 -0800, (John Gilbert) wrote:

I have not been able to find any information on the Pegase 101A polar
online. Does anyone have one online?
The published references I have found (sailplanedirectory.com, for
instance) quote a L/D of 41:1, and a sink rate, but with no
corresponding airspeeds. Anyone know what they are? How does it
compare to ASW20 in performance?

Pegase 101a
===========
Maximum L/D: 41 @ 57 kts
Minimum sink: 0.60 m/s (120 fpm) @ 43 kts

I extracted the Min.sink numbers from the flight manual's dry polar,
but think the curve may be for the 101P (fixed gear) as the max L/D
from the curve is 34.7:1 @ 61 kts. The max L/D quoted above (41 @ 57
kts) is from the Sailplane Directory - our club briefing notes for the
Pegase 90 mention 41 @ 55 kts.

Looking at the wet polar (Pegase 101a at 728 lbs, no tiplets) I get:

Maximum L/D: 38 @ 72 kts
Minimum sink: 0.72 m/s (142 fpm) @ 60 kts

ASW-20
=======
The Saiplane directory quotes:

Maximum L/D: 43 @ 65 kts
Minimum sink: 0.59 m/s (116 fpm) - no speed given

Dick Johnson measured the following for the ASW-20 at 759 lbs weight:

Maximum L/D: 41.7 @ 57 kts (same for +0, -6, -9 flap settings)
Minimum sink: 0.56 m/s (110 fpm) @ 40 kts (+8 flaps)

References
==========
You can find Dick Johnson's test reports at
http://www.ssa.org/Magazines/Johnson.asp

I've spent the last two soaring seasons flying a Pegase 90 and have
just bought an ASW-20, so I should be in a better position to make the
comparison in 2-3 months time, weather permitting.

HTH

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old February 29th 04, 04:18 AM
John Gilbert

Martin,

Min sink at 60 knots, at 728 lbs? The airspeed seems high. 728 doesn't
seem to be a "wet" weight, as empty is about 553?? Maybe this sink
speed is at gross weight?

BTW, many folks have sent at least one version of a polar spreadsheet
with Pegase data, THANKS!! One jpg sent is apparently from an
Idaflieg test flight, at 363 kg (799 lbs), min sink is shown to be
about 46 kt (85 km/hr).

Thanks for all the responses.
John

Martin Gregorie wrote in message . ..
... question omitted...

Pegase 101a
===========

Old February 27th 04, 09:21 AM
Frederic FUCHS

Hi,

Have a look here :
http://planeur.phpnet.org/ivb_112/in...t=ST&f=3&t=768

You don't need an account.

Regards,

Frederic
www.planeur.net

om...

Old February 27th 04, 01:10 PM
Chris

Have also a look a the nice site from Detlev Hoppenrath (english
http://gliding.hoppenrath.com/index_en.htm, german
http://gliding.hoppenrath.com). He has also a scan from a Pegase brochure
with polars.
http://gliding.hoppenrath.com/Prospe...se/Pegase3.jpg

Cheers,
Christian

Commercial polar routes? General Aviation 6 January 28th 05 08:03 PM
18m polar curve Alan Irving Soaring 1 December 15th 03 11:45 PM
Pegase (Pegasus) 101A....opinions? Gary Evans Soaring 11 October 8th 03 05:32 PM
Is anyone still interested in CuSoft "Polar Explorer" program for PC? Branko Stojkovic Soaring 1 July 26th 03 01:06 AM
LX 1000 polar calibration Vignaud Frédéric Soaring 0 July 14th 03 05:14 PM