More on Delorme InReach Satellite Tracker

Old September 29th 11, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Paynter[_2_]

Default More on Delorme InReach Satellite Tracker

The Delorme InReach Satellite Tracker is now available for pre-order
on their website. Unfortunately, they apparently decided that the
minimum update interval would be 10 minutes, the same as the SPOT
tracker many of us use now. It is also MUCH more expensive for
initial purchase, and (I think) MUCH more expensive on an annual
basis.

The original tech specs for this unit showed a 2 minute interval, and
many of us in the soaring community voiced our objections to the
change to 10 minutes - bummer.

TA
Old September 29th 11, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Sep 29, 6:33*am, Frank Paynter wrote:
The Delorme InReach Satellite Tracker is now available for pre-order
on their website. *Unfortunately, they apparently decided that the
minimum update interval would be 10 minutes, the same as the SPOT
tracker many of us use now. *It is also MUCH more expensive for
initial purchase, and (I think) MUCH more expensive on an annual
basis.

The original tech specs for this unit showed a 2 minute interval, and
many of us in the soaring community voiced our objections to the
change to 10 minutes - bummer.

TA

Thanks for the update. Will it report altitude? From the press
release, it does not sound much more expensive than Spot ($250)
http://www.delorme.com/about/pressreleases/inreach.htm

Ramy
Old September 29th 11, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

The device does look interesting. I like the ability to do 2-way messages.

I don't like that you need to have a Android device or DeLorme PN-60w GPS to
use with it. I wonder if they have any plans for an iPhone version.

Paul Remde

Old September 29th 11, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

I have the SPOT Connect which works with both iPhone and Android. It is a adequate tracker but has some downsides. You have to have a smartphone to activate tracking and send messages other than an SOS so it your phone dies you are out of luck. The other issue is battery life - since it uses Bluetooth to connect your phone is sucks batteries, I am getting only about 12-15 hours usage out of a set of lithium batteries. They just provided a firmware update which is supposed to address the battery issue - we will see. The other issue is email confirmation which I see the Delorme offers. You send off an email and the only way to see if it was actually sent is to include yourself as a email recipient. On the plus side it is only $149 to buy and $149/year for the service.
Old September 30th 11, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

I've been using the Beta version of the InReach as part of their beta
program. I'm under NDA, so can't disclose much about it other than to
confirm the known specs that are being discussed.

It does indeed report gps altitude with it's track points. Heading and
speed too. Very cool!

I've used it exclusively in stand-alone mode while flying or biking.
So while you get extensive features by pairing it with an Android
device, it is every bit as functional as a Spot or Spot 2 as a
standalone device. Feedback from the device is much better than SPOT
with indicators for when Satellite coverage is not available. For the
Beta test, the messaging delivery has been fantastic, so I think
they've got a good infrastructure going.

There is room for polishing and improving, but it will be a viable
competitor to SPOT and offers quite a bit more capability. It's great
to have some competition in the space.

Morgan
Old September 30th 11, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

It looks very interesting indeed.

It will be very interesting to see if it will be possible for programmers to
access the position data as done by Mark Hawkins and Frank Paynter for the
SPOT-2. The SPOT-2 has really become the standard at soaring contests. It
was awesome to be able to see everyone's position displayed on a large
screen at Parowan last year. I hope it will be possible to display both
SPOT-2 and DeLorme InReach data on the same map in the future.

Paul Remde

Old September 30th 11, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

While we're adding InReach, we should also add APRS to the map. APRS
service is free and has very good coverage. A basic system with
transmit only is cheaper than a SPOT. For a little more, you can have
2-way digital communications. The same radio can also be used for
voice communications, including autopatch access to the normal phone
system. I know, I know - you need a technician or higher amateur
license. I think anyone that has been able to pass a flight written
can easily pass the Tech exam. The questions re all available on line.
You could study them during a weekend or a few evenings and take the
exam for $15.

Charlie
AK4IA

Old September 30th 11, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Delorme has huge opportunity here to expose a public API for
accessing data. I work for Apigee.com and exposing the power of APIs
to providers and empowering developers is our business. As such I've
been trying to push Delorme to expose an API and offering support
where I can. I hope that they do elect to expose access via APIs as
they've got a lot more data available than the SPOT systems, but they
need external developers to create the cool apps to leverage that
information.

I know there have been many calls on their blog to expose data and
access via an API. I suspect that exposing it wasn't part of their
initial roadmap and they've focused on the obvious consumer need for a
map with dots and data as a first step.

The good news is that the data is there, structured and readily
accessible, so it won't be too much of a stretch to expose it via some
sort of public API.

Old October 1st 11, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Sep 30, 10:00*am, Morgan wrote:
[...]

I just took a look at their website and this device does look very
interesting. That being said, the monthly fee for the SOS capability
and unlimited tracking is $24.95 (or $300/year) and I do believe that
this monthly fee may discourage many glider pilots from considering
this device when SPOT charges an annual fee of $150. for these types
of services.

We shall see....

Thx - Renny.
Old October 2nd 11, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Paynter[_2_]

On Sep 30, 12:00*pm, Morgan wrote:
[...]

Morgan,

Can you confirm that the actual device has a minimum update interval
of 10 minutes? The original spec called for 2 minutes, which would
have made it just about ideal for glider XC tracking. At 10 minutes,
however, it is no better than SPOT1/2 and a good bit more expensive.

Frank

Report on DeLorme PN-60w SPOT Jet Pilot Soaring 4 November 28th 10 06:55 PM
B-17 and Tracker Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 February 12th 10 11:50 PM
Tracker Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 1 September 23rd 09 03:52 AM
Delorme Earthmate GPS for Aviation? Andrew Sarangan Piloting 5 January 22nd 06 10:42 AM
GPS BlueTooth w datalogger (Earthmate Blue-Logger by DeLorme) Jeffrey Banks Soaring 0 November 17th 05 01:30 AM