AT-38C Oil Study Finished ...

Old August 6th 04, 02:37 PM
Wade Meyers

Default AT-38C Oil Study Finished ...

That was pretty much what I told him. I would assume the painting of the
"AT-38Cs" attacking two F-15Es in the Nevada desert is ficticious at least at
this time. Thanks for the validation.

Hi Steve,

They go to Nevada all the time . . . in fact, I worked very closely
with one of the 49th FTS IPs while designing the composition of my
painting.

The official Air Force Fact Sheet on the T-38 states, in part:
--------------------

Air Education and Training Command uses a modified version, the
AT-38B, to prepare pilots for fighter aircraft such as the F-15, F-16
and A-10. The AT-38B has a gun sight and practice bomb dispenser.

The Talon first flew in 1959. More than 1,100 were delivered to the
Air Force between 1961 and 1972 when production ended.

Pacer Classic is a program designed to extend the structural life of
the T-38 to 2020. Future major modifications to the T-38 avionics
systems will result in all Talons being redesignated as T-38C models.

--------------------end quote.

AETC now uses the C-model in this IFF role. So, looks like even
official USAF literature has yet to be updated . . .

As I told Ed, the IFF troops all refer to their jets as "AT-38C", and
it is sometimes referred to as "AT-38C" in official literature. It is
used in the role of the AT-38B, and it *does* have the HUD, unlike the
straight C-model. One example:

http://www.aetc.randolph.af.mil/se2/...0211/abort.htm

Official? Hmm, maybe not on paper in the budget, yet, but there's
nothing "ficticious" about my painting, either in the scene or the
title.

Either way, it's fun talking about it!

Wade
http://wademeyersart.tripod.com