The Idiot without the NOTAM

Old August 1st 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default The Idiot without the NOTAM

Makes his first call orbiting Holstein Airport approx 13:17:52 Z

FAA Registry
N-Number Inquiry Results
N9553A is Assigned

Aircraft Description
Serial Number 17280376
Type Registration Corporation
Manufacturer Name CESSNA
Certificate Issue Date 08/20/1999
Model 172R
Status Valid
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine
Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None
Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None
Mode S Code 53244774
MFR Year 1998
Fractional Owner NO

Registered Owner
Name AIRVIEW INC
Street 1360 QUEENS DR
City MOON TOWNSHIP
State PENNSYLVANIA
Zip Code 15108-1379
County ALLEGHENY
Country UNITED STATES

From the Pennsylvania Secretary of State website...
Business Entity Filing History
(Select the link above to view the Business Entity's Filing History)
Business Name History
Name AIR VIEW INC.
Name Type Current Name
Business Corporation - Domestic - Information
Entity Number: 692467
Entity Creation Date: 8/28/1979
Registered Office Address: ROUTE 30 & STAR ROUTE 981 LATROBE PA 15650-0
Mailing Address: No Address

This is next to the Latrobe airport
Old August 1st 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Makes his first call orbiting Holstein Airport approx 13:17:52 Z

Now if you can only track down the lady who literally READ the OSH
NOTAM to another pilot over the radio, en route to OSH (after she had
downloaded it -- in flight -- to her PDA), you'll be truly performing a
public service.

We also heard a bunch of guys (presumably en route to OSH) who were
landing at a towered airport and were having to read the arrival
procedure and frequencies to their buddy, who clearly had no sectional
and no clue what he was doing.

It's scary to think that people launch toward OSH without studying the
NOTAM in advance -- but some do.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 1st 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
Makes his first call orbiting Holstein Airport approx 13:17:52 Z

[snip]
It's scary to think that people launch toward OSH without studying the
NOTAM in advance -- but some do.

I realize I'm new to all this, ~75 hours, new plastic card and all, but
I cannot imagine starting even a short cross country without looking up
all this information and writing it on my flight planning log. Much
less going into OSH or SnF without talking to someone who's been AND
getting the NOTAMs etc. I have to say, my reaction to all this is if I
ever get to OSH, I'll drive. My main remaining fear in flying is mid
air collision and this seems like a prime recipie for that.

I think something Jay said in one of the other threads is correct, this
is the only cross country people make all year. And they are
irresponsible. Sigh. I hope GA is aorund for my kids, but I begin to
wonder...

John Stevens
PP-ASEL

Old August 1st 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

I truly believe that if the "system"--excluding the Darwin factor--were
able to raise the bar and get rid of the bottom 5-10% of pilots flying
now in terms cognitive, decision-making, and stick-n-rudder ability we
would see a dramatic (maybe 50%) decrease in accidents. In time, it
will even revitalize GA by removing the "it's so dangerous up there"
mindset currently predominating the general public's opinion and more
people would start flying.

Marco (flame shield on )

Old August 1st 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

I curious john, How did you track down the first two numbers of his N#? All
I ever heard were 53A and I never even heard a type.

"john smith" wrote in message
Makes his first call orbiting Holstein Airport approx 13:17:52 Z

FAA Registry
N-Number Inquiry Results
N9553A is Assigned

Aircraft Description
Serial Number 17280376
Type Registration Corporation
Manufacturer Name CESSNA
Certificate Issue Date 08/20/1999
Model 172R
Status Valid
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine
Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None
Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None
Mode S Code 53244774
MFR Year 1998
Fractional Owner NO

Registered Owner
Name AIRVIEW INC
Street 1360 QUEENS DR
City MOON TOWNSHIP
State PENNSYLVANIA
Zip Code 15108-1379
County ALLEGHENY
Country UNITED STATES

From the Pennsylvania Secretary of State website...

Old August 1st 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Gig 601XL Builder wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

I curious john, How did you track down the first two numbers of his N#? All
I ever heard were 53A and I never even heard a type.

It was in the raw archives at the first call-up. When I created the clip
and posted the link here, I purposely abbreviated the entire tail ID since
I did not want to be the one responsible for this pilot's humiliation.

--
Peter

Old August 1st 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

I realize I'm new to all this, ~75 hours, new plastic card

What "plastic" card? gd&r

You're right, I wouldn't dream of going out there without all that
information, but the people are there.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 1st 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Marco,

I truly believe that if the "system"--excluding the Darwin factor--were
able to raise the bar and get rid of the bottom 5-10% of pilots flying
now in terms cognitive, decision-making, and stick-n-rudder ability we
would see a dramatic (maybe 50%) decrease in accidents. In time, it
will even revitalize GA by removing the "it's so dangerous up there"
mindset currently predominating the general public's opinion and more
people would start flying.

I fully agree. Question is: Who gets to decide?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)