The Idiot without the NOTAM

Old August 1st 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Default The Idiot without the NOTAM

Peter,

Incredible! And as has been mentioned in other threads, the controller
is way too accomodating. He should have turned him away.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 1st 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Lakeview Bill wrote:

tinyurl seems to be having a problem; could you post the full link?

Hmmm, still works for me, but here you go:

http://www7.spread-it.com/dl.php?id=...19e09ff53e77f7

--
Peter
Old August 1st 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Peter R." wrote in message
Gig 601XL Builder wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

I curious john, How did you track down the first two numbers of his N#?
All
I ever heard were 53A and I never even heard a type.

It was in the raw archives at the first call-up. When I created the clip
and posted the link here, I purposely abbreviated the entire tail ID since
I did not want to be the one responsible for this pilot's humiliation.

Ok, I missed it when I listen to it live and then when I didn't hear it on
the replay I thought it wasn't there.

The guy was responsible for his own humiliation. And I agree with the other
posters who thing he should have been turned around and sent home which was
the controllers first response, btw.

Old August 1st 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Schumann

I can't believe that there isn't some serious enforcement going on. Anyone
who flies to Oshkosh and doesn't have the NOTAM with them should get their
ticket revoked for 5 years.

Mike Schumann

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Makes his first call orbiting Holstein Airport approx 13:17:52 Z

Now if you can only track down the lady who literally READ the OSH
NOTAM to another pilot over the radio, en route to OSH (after she had
downloaded it -- in flight -- to her PDA), you'll be truly performing a
public service.

We also heard a bunch of guys (presumably en route to OSH) who were
landing at a towered airport and were having to read the arrival
procedure and frequencies to their buddy, who clearly had no sectional
and no clue what he was doing.

It's scary to think that people launch toward OSH without studying the
NOTAM in advance -- but some do.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 1st 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Schumann

There's a really simple solution. Upon landing at Oshkosh EVERY plane gets
a very simple ramp check to make sure that they have the NOTAM with them.
Anyone who arrives without a NOTAM gets their ticket revoked for 5 years.

Problem solved.

Mike Schumann

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Marco,

I truly believe that if the "system"--excluding the Darwin factor--were
able to raise the bar and get rid of the bottom 5-10% of pilots flying
now in terms cognitive, decision-making, and stick-n-rudder ability we
would see a dramatic (maybe 50%) decrease in accidents. In time, it
will even revitalize GA by removing the "it's so dangerous up there"
mindset currently predominating the general public's opinion and more
people would start flying.

I fully agree. Question is: Who gets to decide?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 1st 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Mike,

There's a really simple solution.

Sounds a lot like the 10 k$ solution proposed for violating the
Washington ADIZ.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 1st 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Schumann

Why is there no enforcement action against this pilot? Flying to Oshkosh
without a sectional or the NOTAM should be an obvious violation of the FARs.

It's not like they don't have evidence or an ID.

Old August 1st 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jules

Jay Honeck wrote:

It's scary to think that people launch toward OSH without studying the
NOTAM in advance -- but some do.

And if anybody asked them, they would claim to be good pilots.

Old August 1st 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Mike Schumann wrote
I can't believe that there isn't some serious enforcement going on.
Anyone who flies to Oshkosh and doesn't have the NOTAM with them
should get their ticket revoked for 5 years.

Probably the same sort of a deal that SnF had with the FAA back in the
1988-1992 era. "don't ticket the overweight ultralights". Those were the
years when ULs were the big thing at SnF, and if there was even the rumor
of FAA sanctions for the illegal aircraft, the place would have been empty.

Bob Moore