The Idiot without the NOTAM

Old August 1st 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

Default The Idiot without the NOTAM

Although Mike's post was a little tongue-in-cheek, the solution can be
something similar. There could be a "license suspension pending retest"
for a number of situations that fall under a "that was really a dumb
thing" category. Hopefully the bottom 10% would weed themselves out of
the picture.

Given a fair, analytical and fully researched approach to the problem,
I think it can really work. Basically, there should be a "wash-out"
situation like the US Air Force (or any air force for that matter) and
the airlines. GA ability to revoke licenses is only based on bad
violations and the most extreme examples of inability.

Marco

Thomas Borchert wrote:
I realize I'm new to all this, ~75 hours, new plastic card

What "plastic" card? gd&r

You're right, I wouldn't dream of going out there without all that
information, but the people are there.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 1st 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris G.

oh my god... I can't imagine someone being THAT inept. I would not have
let the guy in, but, then again, I get kinda persnickety about idiotic
stuff sometimes. I'm going to share that file though!!!!!

Chris G.

Peter R. wrote:
Jeff jfranks1971 minus wrote:

Peter, I missed your post with the link. Can you repost?

Repost:

OK, found the exchange and edited the clip to only contain the relevant
communications for anyone interested in hearing it. Note that the LiveATC
OSH feed is monitoring a few different frequencies, so there are a couple
of sections where some of the ATC or pilot's comms are clipped.

The link to the MP3 file of the exchange at about 4.5 Mb in size, available
for two weeks from today (Spread-It's limit for free file sharing):

http://tinyurl.com/lu6uu

Old August 1st 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:10:45 -0400, Jules wrote:

And if anybody asked them, they would claim to be good pilots.

I'd love to hear the answer from them to the question "what happened to
the preflight requirement?"

- Andrew

Old August 1st 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

I curious john, How did you track down the first two numbers of his N#? All
I ever heard were 53A and I never even heard a type.

See below. I listened with headphones, could hear his first call clearly.

Makes his first call orbiting Holstein Airport approx 13:17:52 Z

Old August 1st 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Chris G." wrote:
oh my god... I can't imagine someone being THAT inept. I would not have
let the guy in, but, then again, I get kinda persnickety about idiotic
stuff sometimes. I'm going to share that file though!!!!!

Which situation would the ATC have had his behind on the line for had
something happened? helping guide him into OSH knowing he wasn't
prepared, or refusing to do that and insisting that he turn around and
go back?
Old August 1st 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

wrote in message

Which situation would the ATC have had his behind on the line for had
something happened? helping guide him into OSH knowing he wasn't
prepared, or refusing to do that and insisting that he turn around and
go back?

As I recall the ATC didn't do either of those. He explained the VFR arrival
procedure to him and told him to remain clear of the Oshkosh Class D
airspace while on his way to Ripon.

Old August 2nd 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_2_]

Is there any way we could find this guy's email. Perhaps if we all sent him
a welcome back note he might get the picture.

On the other hand he sounded like someone who was used to always having his
own way, and that the "rules" couldn't possibly apply to someone as great as
he thought he was.

Old August 2nd 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Peter R." wrote in message

It was in the raw archives at the first call-up. When I created the clip
and posted the link here, I purposely abbreviated the entire tail ID since
I did not want to be the one responsible for this pilot's humiliation.

Oh, he's definately responsible for his own humiliation!

Listening to it right now. I half expect to hear "My dog ate my sectional."

Listening to this will -definately- make me doublecheck my information
before I fly. Thanks!

-c

Old August 2nd 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Just go look it up!

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 23:23:08 GMT, "Viperdoc"
wrote:

Is there any way we could find this guy's email. Perhaps if we all sent him
a welcome back note he might get the picture.

On the other hand he sounded like someone who was used to always having his
own way, and that the "rules" couldn't possibly apply to someone as great as
he thought he was.

Who says the guy who owns the corp was the guy who was behind the
wheel at the time? It could be on the line of a flightschool as a
leaseback for all we know.
Old August 2nd 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"Viperdoc" wrote:

Is there any way we could find this guy's email. Perhaps if we all sent him
a welcome back note he might get the picture.

On the other hand he sounded like someone who was used to always having his
own way, and that the "rules" couldn't possibly apply to someone as great as
he thought he was.

I think if this gets played in public at safety seminars, EAA chapter
meetings, pilot club meetings, etc, people who know him are going to let
him know about it, if the FAA doesn't track him down. People in the
Latrobe area are definitly going to let the guy know. If it was a
rental/leaseback, the they lessor may take some action.