Shuttle Transport Story

Old June 15th 09, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja[_2_]

Default Shuttle Transport Story

Peter Dohm wrote:

The story reads like an account of a VIP Simulator ride, except that someone
probably edited out the usual disclaimer about the simulation.

Hmmmmm.... (quoting from the article):

The tires were so hot you could smell them in the cockpit.

That's one heck of a simulator...... :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old June 15th 09, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
Peter Dohm wrote:

The story reads like an account of a VIP Simulator ride, except that
someone probably edited out the usual disclaimer about the simulation.

Hmmmmm.... (quoting from the article):

The tires were so hot you could smell them in the cockpit.

That's one heck of a simulator...... :-)

Ron Wanttaja

There were at least four major issues that led me to presume the story as
fictional.

My personal experience with tires does not coincide well with this account,
although I will admit that you can sometimes get a whiff of tire smoke/dust
in the cabin of a Piper Aztec if you retract the undercarriage immediately
after takeoff and while the wheels are still spinning. The ventilation
systems of the B747 would seem to make such a thing improbable.

Generally speaking, NASA would seem to be a pretty thorough organization and
a lot of the story makes no sense at all in that light.

Peter

Old June 15th 09, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 15, 11:56*am, "Peter Dohm" wrote:

There were at least four major issues that led me to presume the story as
fictional.

The part that I found surprising was that it was written as if the
author was acting as pilot in command without having previously ridden
along on a flight with the orbiter mated. Generally you would think
that someone would be introduced to such a critical task in stages -
ride along as an observer, function as co-pilot and get a little
experience handling the mated combination, and only then be the pilot
in command. Maybe that is the case the author is only giving the
impression of being new to observations such as the tire odor, since
such things would be new to the reader.
Old June 15th 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Peter Dohm wrote:

[...]

Let's say the story is true. I would sure hate to think that one of the
few remaining shuttles tied to the 747 was at 1000' for any length of
time for a show. The risk of loosing the shuttle/747/crew is just too
great. The only time he should be that low was on final approach to landing.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old June 15th 09, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn

"Ross" wrote in message
Let's say the story is true. I would sure hate to think that one of the
few remaining shuttles tied to the 747 was at 1000' for any length of time
for a show. The risk of loosing the shuttle/747/crew is just too great.
The only time he should be that low was on final approach to landing.

Although the story leaves me with many questions, the part about the
"show" at the end of the flight at least generally jibes with published
accounts.

Vaughn

Old June 15th 09, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
eclipsme

vaughn wrote:
"Ross" wrote in message
Let's say the story is true. I would sure hate to think that one of the
few remaining shuttles tied to the 747 was at 1000' for any length of time
for a show. The risk of loosing the shuttle/747/crew is just too great.
The only time he should be that low was on final approach to landing.

Although the story leaves me with many questions, the part about the
"show" at the end of the flight at least generally jibes with published
accounts.

Vaughn

Silliness. Just pure silliness! Back to flying now...

Harvey