Flight simulator

Old June 18th 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Default Flight simulator

Morgans wrote:

"Ross" wrote

Thanks, I might have to try that for the fun of it. I promise I will
not become a MXer.....

Thanks for that, but I don't think you are nearly unbalanced enough for
that! g

Remember, if it is a pure sim question, the sim group is your best
support. ;-)

Yes, but I would then want to ask questions on how sim flying applies to
real life flying, you remember the questions.........just kidding.

I guess I need to go over there and find out what is a reasonable to buy
and not go way out. Again, I am not building a Kiwi (sorry Jay)

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old June 18th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Ross" wrote support. ;-)

Yes, but I would then want to ask questions on how sim flying applies to real
life flying, you remember the questions.........just kidding.

And then argue that the answer giver is wrong, and they really are just an angry
young male that lets testosterone rule their reactions and thoughts, and that
all pilots in general do not know the subject as good as you do.

Oh, for good measure, throw in the fact that the reason you are a failure in
life is because everyone has it out for you, because you are so smart.

Does that about cover it?

Not that I'm complaining, but it sure is nice he blew out as quickly as he blew
in. I wish the word would get out so we could get back to the quality and
quantity of discussions we used to have. I wonder if it will ever recover to
those days.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 18th 09, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel[_6_]

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

I wish the word would get out so we could get back to the quality and
quantity of discussions we used to have. I wonder if it will ever recover...

With ISPs dropping newsgroups and the web forums, I kind of doubt
there will be much recovery.
Old June 19th 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Jun 18, 5:53*pm, Bob Noel wrote:
In article ,

*"Morgans" wrote:
I wish the word would get out so we could get back to the quality and
quantity of discussions we used to have. *I wonder if it will ever recover...

With ISPs dropping newsgroups and the web forums, I kind of doubt
there will be much recovery.

RCN (my ISP) dropped Usenet some time ago. I liked the venue and hated
to leave it altogether. I know most people hate Google Groups, but I
signed on and have been using this reader now for some time. It's not
too bad really. It's up more than it's down and I'm not a kill file
freak (simply ignore those worth ignoring :-) so the filter issues
that seem to bug everyone else don't seem to be bothering me. I also
don't need a bianary capability; just text so Google is fine for me.
I in fact would recommend Google Groups for Usenet if people have an
ISP problem with access. It's a free reader and for some that's a big
plus.
I'm on a Mac so it's a double good hit for me as good news readers
for Macs are not as plentiful as they are for PC's.
Just throwing this out for general consumption.
Dudley Henriques
Old June 19th 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom Duhamel

Dudley Henriques wrote:
I'm on a Mac so it's a double good hit for me as good news readers
for Macs are not as plentiful as they are for PC's.

Mozilla Thunderbird, which I use and love, is available for more
operating systems than you could name.

I would say that the Google reader is probably fine for the casual user,
just not flexible enough for the more demanding users. I know, I demand
too much

Tom
Old June 19th 09, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"DH" == Dudley Henriques writes:

DH There are several desktop sims you could use. As a flight
DH instructor and an advisor for Microsoft I naturally prefer
DH MSFS. I use their FS2004 version.

I heard that MS was discontinuing their FS?

--
Free from desire, you realize the mystery. Caught in desire, you see
only the manifestations.
Old June 19th 09, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Jun 18, 7:34*pm, Tom Duhamel wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
*I'm on a Mac so it's a double good hit for me as good news readers
for Macs are not as plentiful as they are for PC's.

Mozilla Thunderbird, which I use and love, is available for more
operating systems than you could name.

I would say that the Google reader is probably fine for the casual user,
just not flexible enough for the more demanding users. I know, I demand
too much

Tom

I used Thunderbird as well before RCN stopped handling Usenet. The
only trouble with TB is that being a mail program and news reader, it
still requires an ISP that handles Usenet. With Google Groups you
don't need an ISP who handles Usenet as it's an online reader. If you
have online access, you have Usenet :-))
DH
Old June 19th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Jun 18, 7:51*pm, Bob Fry wrote:
"DH" == Dudley Henriques writes:

* * DH There are several desktop sims you could use. As a flight
* * DH instructor and an advisor for Microsoft I naturally prefer
* * DH MSFS. I use their FS2004 version.

I heard that MS was discontinuing their FS?

--
Free from desire, you realize the mystery. Caught in desire, you see
only the manifestations.
*~ Tao Te Ching

They have actually. FSX was the last version before they fired the
entire ACES team. (Unfortunate and unwarranted as THAT was)
Many people use FSX with the service packs 1 and 2 and like it. I
happen to like the prior version FS2004 much better than FSX, but
either way, the Microsoft product is out there to use and very much
available.
-DH
Old June 19th 09, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

I know most people hate Google Groups

You can count me in that group.

I in fact would recommend Google Groups for Usenet if people have an
ISP problem with access. It's a free reader and for some that's a big
plus.

Hey! Use what you like! For me, it is not just a matter of filtering
the nitwits. Google Groups serves as an easy pathway for spammers. At a
wild guess, 90% of the spam you see on Usenet comes through Google Groups,
and Google could care less. Those of us using NNTP servers and news readers
are spared much of that spam, both from the filtering the NNTP folks do and
from a few obvious filters that anyone can set in their news reader. I
can't help you on the Apple reader, but access to an NNTP server is neither
hard to find nor expensive. Just see my sig file.

Vaughn

.................................................. .......
Nothing personal, but if you are posting through Google Groups I may not
receive
your message. Google refuses to control the flood of spam messages
originating
in their system, so on any given day I may or may not have Google blocked.
Try
a real NNTP server & news reader program and you will never go back. All
you
need is access to an NNTP server (AKA "news server") and a news reader
program.
You probably already have a news reader program in your computer (Hint:
Outlook
Express). Assuming that your Usenet needs are modest, use
http://www.cnntp.org/
and/or, http://news.aioe.org/ and/or http://www.motzarella.org/ and/or
https://www.x-privat.org/index.php for free, and/or
http://www.teranews.com/ for a one-time $3.95 setup fee. Newsguy,
http://www.newsguy.com/ offers a variety of reasonably priced services. If
you
wish to experiment with real Usenet access, they will give you a free 2-day
trial account.

Old June 19th 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote

RCN (my ISP) dropped Usenet some time ago. I liked the venue and hated
to leave it altogether. I know most people hate Google Groups, but I
signed on and have been using this reader now for some time. It's not
too bad really. It's up more than it's down and I'm not a kill file
freak (simply ignore those worth ignoring :-) so the filter issues
that seem to bug everyone else don't seem to be bothering me. I also
don't need a bianary capability; just text so Google is fine for me.
I in fact would recommend Google Groups for Usenet if people have an
ISP problem with access. It's a free reader and for some that's a big
plus.
I'm on a Mac so it's a double good hit for me as good news readers
for Macs are not as plentiful as they are for PC's.
Just throwing this out for general consumption.
Dudley Henriques

Try nntp.aioe.org, for a server. Free, no binaries. No ISP news server needed.
--
Jim in NC